Author Topic: Evo ultimate class  (Read 30696 times)

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Evo ultimate class
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2009, 06:45:24 pm »
VIPER Unlimited sounds good.
Cheers,
K
Just to clear things up
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2009, 06:53:43 pm »

This is the infamous bike that Geoff Holmes built & it looks more like an Evo class bike than a pre '85 class bike to me . It is an '82 CR480 motor in an '80 CR250RA frame. As I wrote somewhere in another thread , it is apparently a bike so evil  that  it threatens VMX as we know it . It had to be banished to the wilderness of North Queensland & it now lives in Cairns . The bike is occasionally raced in Evolution class in NQ motocross meetings & nobody has a problem with it . The current owner also owns an '81 Maico MC490, which he probably rides more often because he is a few seconds a lap quicker on it.
      The Honda always seems to attract a bit of attention & I have seen a few people ask the owner if it is a works bike , which I think is a big compliment to the guy who originally built it . I think that it is a cool bike & is something different in a field usually full of YZs, Maicos, Huskys & the occasion RM .   

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2009, 07:12:32 pm »
Nice pre 85 bike.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2009, 07:21:11 pm »
I would just like to reply to Micks post about me being very argro about the subject (that by the way I am all for.)
We get many suggestions proposals at Viper and we are trying to get peole on the track racing as best we can,
All I am saying is wouldnt it be better to announce a class with all the details worked out so as people can then discuss it
knowing the full details on how it is to be run? I,m sorry Mick if I came across a bit rough but this has happend before where a good idea is killed off before it is even decided on.
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2009, 07:22:20 pm »
Curlys'

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2009, 07:23:25 pm »
hmmmm ME390 i'm thinking !
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2009, 07:32:29 pm »
If you are referring to Curlys' bike Hoony, its a 250ra with an '82 480 motor in it with a Mugen hat on it.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:16 pm »
There seems to be a misconception in the "for" camp, that those in the "against" camp never want these bikes to see the light of day, but I think this couldn't be further from the truth, I for one love the look of these hybrids (when done right) and encourage them to be brought out.
What we don't understand is why does a new class has to be introduced, or current evo rules changed for this to happen. A simple question needs to be answered, 
 Why don't the owners want to ride them in pre '85?

If I wanted to build a Honda pre '75 works replica and decided a '77 motor suited the look better, should I still be allowed to take it out in the pre '75 class, we all now the answer to that, so the same principle should apply to the evo class.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:46:53 pm by evo550 »

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2009, 07:48:05 pm »

It had to be banished to the wilderness of North Queensland & it now lives in Cairns . The bike is occasionally raced in Evolution class in NQ motocross meetings & nobody has a problem with it .   
Another aspect that you missed Mark is maybe nobody in FNQ gives a rats arse about the $3 trophy at the end ;).  I thought I recognised that bike and the number.  It's a sweet bike.  I had to ask model it was when I first saw it (knowing SFA about Hondas as I do).  To his credit the owner didn't bullshit me.  That's one of the things I will miss about FNQ - the people.  I am pretty new to the scene up here, but the blokes treat me like a real person even though I don't ride like one  ;D ;D  Possibly a trained monkey could do a better job :-[.
For mine that can race in EVO any day of the week  :o :o  No disc brake, no linkage, no water cooling  ;).
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2009, 08:11:24 pm »
Over it all now. I think I'll stick to trail riding from now on. There's no opinions or BS in the bush, just me & the elements.
K

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2009, 08:22:30 pm »
i think people are missing the point with the argument
its not about modifying linkage bikes to twin shock
its about putting a air cooled motor in a earlier frame
eg kx250a5  cr250ra
i think thats what K is trying to say ;)
follow me to first turn

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2009, 08:55:56 pm »
That's the way I read it too, Rusty.

I just wonder why its OK to fit a later engine, but not to convert a linkage bike or a disc-braked bike?
At the end of the day, you'll still be able to say "Yep, she's got air cooling, no linkage and drum brakes, so she's an Evo bike alright!".

I agree totally with Evo550's most recent post, FWIW.
If the argument is "We're not in it for trophies, we just want to go for a ride on a cool bike", then you've got no reason to want to ride the bike in pre-85 where it is clearly eligible and doesn't upset anyone.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2009, 09:20:32 pm »
VIPER Unlimited sounds good.
Cheers,
K
Just to clear things up

Thats my fault andy.. i was only speaking about our series if it happened down here..as i dont like to comment on other states series as i know nothing about them. Other than ours kicks arse ;)
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2009, 09:24:09 pm »
 A simple question needs to be answered, 
 Why don't the owners want to ride them in pre '85?

If they did, would that be classed as riding up a class?

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2009, 09:25:46 pm »
Over it all now. I think I'll stick to trail riding from now on. There's no opinions or BS in the bush, just me & the elements.
K

Theres plenty of BS and opinions in the bush BigK.. after a few cans round the fire.. never let the truth get in the way of a good story :-[