Author Topic: Evo ultimate class  (Read 30705 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Evo ultimate class
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 11:31:18 am »
A class called "Viper unlimited" may be better.  Drop the "EVO" from the class name.
Then these woman will have nothing to go on about. Its a stand alone class with its own clear guidelines and no link to the existing evo class. Then the Maico 490 is a unlimited pre85 evo bike.. ;D yee haa lets go, get the claws out :-*

HA HA ,Maniac - stir it up!

Im proposing a holeshot only class . You just race to the first corner and thats it.I got a 760cc Maico 2 stroke motor from a GP sidecar that Im putting into a Rm 125  .I rechon its about my only shot at a trophy next year.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 11:49:17 am »
A class called "Viper unlimited" may be better.  Drop the "EVO" from the class name.
Then these woman will have nothing to go on about. Its a stand alone class with its own clear guidelines and no link to the existing evo class. Then the Maico 490 is a unlimited pre85 evo bike.. ;D yee haa lets go, get the claws out :-*

did I hear a eve class or evo class --go girls  ;)  ;)   :D   ;D

cheers
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:55:59 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 12:07:07 pm »
Im proposing a holeshot only class . You just race to the first corner and thats it.I....................................
[/quote]

I'm in for that class. ;)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 12:28:54 pm »
Im proposing a holeshot only class . You just race to the first corner and thats it.I....................................

I'm in for that class. ;)
[/quote]

YHOOO , looks like I might have brought Hoony out of retirement - round of applause plz! or how about a trophy for that!

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 12:50:49 pm »
Its funny how people say "the rules are the rules"; yet we make them and when it isnt quite working we just live with it. I find that strange. An ultimate evo class with 'Werks Replica' bikes is, and could be one of the great specticles of vmx racing. A show case of knowledge, workmanship, skills and different ideas.
  Concept Bikes, our own personnal take on making our own 'Werks Bikes' and mostly with spare parts from the left overs from biulding up original looking models. Most of the parts would be found in our own sheds.

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=3802.0

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 01:07:22 pm »
Thanks DJ refreshing views in the link.

those with a vested interest due to having built bikes need to pursue this.  :)

cheers
Best is in the West !!

kaw440

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 02:24:52 pm »
Its funny how the phrase IN THE SPIRIT comes up in vmx and when something like this is brought to the table all the reasons in the world come out why it is bad for the sport straight away the good side is never pursued that much as for taper handle bars small example but are they within the spirit its not about performance or is it correct me if i am wrong as for the rider will be the out come more than the bike in most cases i ride and race a hybrid if that is what you want to call it and it is evo legal. This idea has already been talked about and the name of the class was to be twinshock unlimated not evo and totally seperate from evo run classes so what is the main problem gdr your info has came from someone to start this post with some kind of concern for the evo class gdr you still have not explained your reason for starting this post as for i cannot see the reason that is why i am asking kaw440

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 02:52:20 pm »
I dont think we cant just simply say no 'external adjustable' twinshocks as there were some back in the day. im not sure exact year but i was told by someone that he had a set of Hulcos either in late 70's or early 80's that had external damping adjustments. Im not exactly sure when White Power twins came out with external adjustments, there may have been some around 82-83. Im not sure how you would go about changing the shock ruling. Do you ban any modern shocks? There is not much difference between a 2009 set of non adjustable ohlins and a 82 set of non adjustable ohlins other than cosmetics and some minor refinement, so in that case if would be unfair to ban those. Maybe you could limit it to brands that were available back then, or no modern twin shocks with external adjustments as this would be a compromise and allow some of todays brands that were not around back then as long as they dont have external adjustments but still allow for the very few shocks that were around then with external adjustments so this doesnt stop anyone with period Hulcos, or what ever that do have adjustments.

One thing that is clear to me is that many people are now agreeing that the shock rules or lack of has got out of hand as you can have the absolute latest and best multi adjustable twins on a late model twinshocker that can be as good as  pre 85 single shock if not better.

Im not too fussed about people using modern cosmetics or tapered bars as they wouldnt win you a race, i just wouldnt use them though as i think they look silliy on a old bike, but i think something could be done about components such as modern multi adjustable shocks that are a significant performance gain.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:30:42 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »
I dont think we cant just simply say no 'external adjustable' twinshocks as there were some back in the day. im not sure exact year but i was told by someone that he had a set of Hulcos either in late 70's or early 80's that had external damping adjustments. Im not exactly sure when White Power twins came out with external adjustments, there may have been some around 82-83. Im not sure how you would go about changing the shock rulling. Do you ban any modern shocks? There is not much difference between a 2009 set of non adjustable ohlins and a 82 set of non adjustable ohlins other than cosmetics and some minor refinement, so in that case if would be unfair to band those. Maybe you could limit it to brands that were available back then, or no modern twin shocks with external adjustments as this would be a compromise and allow some of todays brands that were not around back then as long as they dont have external adjustments but still allow for the very few shocks that were around then with external adjustments so this doesnt stop anyone with period Hulcos, Konis or what ever that do have adjustments.

One thing that is clear to me is that many people are now agreeing that the shock rules or lack of has got out of hand as you can have the absolute latest and best multi adjustable twins on a late model twinshocker that can be as good as  pre 85 single shock if not better.
Someone has seen them???? In his dreams!! Hulco is White Power, or Hulco became WhitePower, which ever way you want to put it. Neither had external adjusters in pre 85 period.
You could prove me wrong by forwarding some pictures.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 03:05:16 pm »
Its funny how the phrase IN THE SPIRIT comes up in vmx and when something like this is brought to the table all the reasons in the world come out why it is bad for the sport straight away the good side is never pursued that much as for taper handle bars small example but are they within the spirit its not about performance or is it correct me if i am wrong as for the rider will be the out come more than the bike in most cases i ride and race a hybrid if that is what you want to call it and it is evo legal. This idea has already been talked about and the name of the class was to be twinshock unlimated not evo and totally seperate from evo run classes so what is the main problem gdr your info has came from someone to start this post with some kind of concern for the evo class gdr you still have not explained your reason for starting this post as for i cannot see the reason that is why i am asking kaw440

Simon I think that this post started following the which cr480 motor is better post by BIGK .

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 03:05:43 pm »
LCW it's not really about modern shocks persay, but about the ambiguous rules which allow such items, but not a set of 30 year old forks or engine because they came from a single shock bike. Some common sense should prevail, but it seems it doesn't. Anyway I predict us "Mexicans" will see some trick looking "works" type bikes and some other bikes with CR480 & YZ490 forks in them on the track in 2010. And while the pundits and naysayers are crying in their cornflakes, debating the finer points regarding the blasphemy of it all, we down here will all be having heaps of "not quite legit for EVO, even though it should be", FUN!
Cheers,
K

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 03:07:53 pm »
This is a comment from another forum

have you just awoken from a long sleep or youve never been to a twinshock meet everybody has these, i have a set of hulco shocks from 79-80 with comp and rebound damping so they were on the market then

I will find some pictures. I know there was at least external adjustable WP's in 85 though, but havent been able to confirm if they were around earlier.

Im not saying anyone is right or wrong here but these areas need clearing up if theres going to be any rule changes.

Here is some on a pre 85 EML. I dont know if they are the same as what that guy said he had in 79/80 though

I have got several other pictures of these shocks on pre 85 sidecars, but couldnt confim the period of the shocks though.

Now somewhere i read that a top MX rider was using Hulcos in around 78, but it didnt say if they were adjustable though. I will try and find out who it was now..... ok it was Heikki Mikkola.

I never knew Hulco became WP, are you sure of that? At what time did this happen?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:21:49 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 03:22:33 pm »
kawa440 one minute you know nothing about this class and the next your saying it has been talked about.so what is it is the class going ahead or not.I am all for the class but do not run it with the current evo classes.
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 03:23:16 pm »
I agree with your last comment big K. Some of the rules just seem silly just like you say. Now that i think of it, i think we have come to far now to ban adjustable modern shocks. it would upset too many people i think.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:20:42 pm by LWC82PE »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 03:37:12 pm »
Leith -

Now somewhere i read that a top MX rider was using Hulcos in around 78, but it didnt say if they were adjustable though. I will try and find out who it was now..... ok it was Heikki Mikkola.

that migh thave been 76 Leith , on his Husky , he had aftermarket Ohlins or Hulco .In 77/78/79 he was on Yamaha with works monoshock.

Hulco's dissappeared sometime late 70's .I knew a Guy who ran them on his 360GP - a Dutch Guy who brought them over himself in 76.They weren't adjustable.