Author Topic: Evo ultimate class  (Read 30713 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Evo ultimate class
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 10:43:37 pm »
      I will stick my hand up and say that I totally agree with what you are proposing, Big K . It is the way the Evo class rules should have been worded in the first place . Nice & simple . It would clear up a lot of grey areas with scrutineering . I would say that a large number of evo class bikes run drum brake front ends off linkage bikes already . But every time a change to the wording of the rules is suggested, some guys get all hysterical & think that it is something like trying to introduce modern bikes into the Evo class (or even a Dutch twinshock set of rules) . Why is it ok to build any kind of TT500/DR/XL hybrid in any twinshock frame (that would never have existed back in the day), but not ok to put any air-cooled two stroke motor into a twinshock frame ? It would be a tall order to make a better Evo class package than an '81 Maico anyway . It was mentioned in an earlier thread, that it would be Evo class legal to put an '84 Husky 500 motor into a '80 Honda CR250 frame , but not an '82/'83 480 Honda motor . Try explaining the logic in that to someone new to our sport .
      I am not suggesting to have the rules changed to suit me or anybody else , because I ride either an '81 Maico or an '84 air-cooled Husky in Evo class ( which are entirely Evo legal) & have no intention of ever building an Evo hybrid . I just think it would add more interest & colour to the class with big bore Hondas & Kawasakis out there . Anyone that thinks that the Evo class rules are perfect as they are now, should read them again . The first sentence that says all machines are to be O.E.M is open to various interpretations & causes confusion .

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:30:25 pm by Husky500evo »

kaw440

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 11:21:04 pm »
Evo ultimate class whats it all about
gdr please explain you have started a post about a class that does not exsist that i know about and now everyone is on the defencive about it and the only reason this class does not exsist is because there is not enought works bikes around to race them ie 79 RC500 78 SR400 OW yamahas etc what about HL yamahas classic example not factory but everyone thinks they are great and are they hybrid yes so why are they ok they were not oem to yamaha but the 79 RC500 was made by honda while alot of evo bike out there are racing on shocks that were not around at that time with clicker adjusters etc taper handle bars and some outher small items that are not EVO legal why can something that really is not so different to what is going on now in the sport be so shocking to grasp maybe we need to look at this in some outher way and look for a good result not just knock it down before it even has started

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 08:23:05 am »
kawa440 read the post in marque remarks-honda-informed opions cr480 as for the taper bars do you realy think it makes a differance ,because if they do let me know what brand to fit as we run pro taper and they make no differance
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 08:25:32 am »
I wouldn't have thought that there were enough of these types of bikes to run a class.There is one in my shed (Curlys', not mine).
So will there be such a class in the near future?
I take it running them in pre '85 is not what you guys want to do? After all its a hybrid with a pre '85 motor.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 08:37:35 am »
At the end of the day.. if any class is started, you either have or design a bike to run in the class if the shoe fits. Why the fuggin up roar.If not stick to running what you already run.. I doubt they wil be deleting your class. I dont have one or have the $$$$$$$$$$$$ to build one. But if it creates another spectacle of the sport, good.. Its great to see custom build machines. The Performance car industry has survived on custom stuff(bigger scale) for years.
Thats due to the interest of seeing things done differently. Thats only my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:52:11 am by mxmaniac »
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 08:40:32 am »
i dont have a problem making another class but dont put them in evo class as they are not
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 09:10:32 am »
If I have a set of YZ465H 43mm forks in my '79 Honda 250, I can run them legally in EVO, however if I have a set of 43mm YZ250J forks I can't run them legally in EVO coz they are from a bike with a linkage. Stupid in my opinion, but them's the rules. Same thing with engines, as EVO550 has stated you could use an '84 500 Husky engine in anything but not an '82 CR480 engine even though they are just a dirty 30+ year old air cooled engine. How dumb is that? Therefore an EVO ultimate class is not just for big bore hybrid bikes, and free's up the STUPID subrules in EVO. This will allow more people more access to parts and see more bikes on the track without any stress from people "anal" about the current EVO rules. This will be a different class to EVO so there shouldn't be a problem. I do however personally think these type of bikes should already be allowed in EVO following the basic guidelines. Just my opinion though. As for the tapered bar/clickered shocks theory, I hate the things on VMX bikes. You couldn't buy them "back in the day" but it's OK to modernise your VMX bike with these because they are not restricted by the rules. I'd rather see an RC500 replica on the track than an RM400 with tapered bars for sure, but only one is legal. By the way even though there is an RC500 replica in my shed and another one being built, I won't be riding them but would love to see similar bikes on the track. For those of you who disagree, stop sooking, no one says you have to ride the class.
Cheers,
K

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 09:56:46 am »
Last weekend at the Japanese VMX meeting I noticed it was refreshingly short of scrutinners and MA officials but it still seemed possible to ride VMX bikes and have great time and the ex factory riders won anyway.

The big class in Japan is pre 80 100cc 4 stroke, which is where all the 20 something guys and girls were riding, maybe it would be better to introduce something appealing to new riders than another shade of EVO grey.

I could see bigK on an XR80.
formerly Marc.com

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 09:59:17 am »
qoute "As for the tapered bar/clickered shocks theory, I hate the things on VMX bikes. You couldn't buy them "back in the day" but it's OK to modernise your VMX bike with these because they are not restricted by .."

Hmmmmmm

copied and pasted from the Nats pre 78 protest:-

Are you reading the rules motomaniac, or just on a high horse?

Externally adjustable shocks, PD valves, fat bars etc are all currently legal.
Fair enough it you don't want them to be legal, but that would be changing the rules, which is a whole 'nother ball game.

I agree with you on the swing arms, FWIW.

One of the reasons these discussion go nowhere, is because far too many people get confused by what the rules are, with what they think the rules should be....

I am reading the GCR's isnt everyone? end

and I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what rule book it is that everyone else was reading or where in the GCR's its gives exception to " all components will be of the period (that) the machine was manufacrued" & " modifications using later equipment are not allowed"

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 10:01:43 am »
Brad if the Ultima class was down on numbers the scruts could easy fill it up with all the inelligable EVO bikes.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:03:32 pm by motomaniac »

oldfart

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 10:39:39 am »
2009  Manual of  " MOTORCYCLE SPORT "   by    Motorcycling Australia   (just about covers it )

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 11:05:26 am »
This evo arguement will go round and round in circles again..
If you guys in Vic want to run an evo ultimate class i think you should just go ahead and do it and see how it goes. If it works out it's all good and other states may even give it a shot some day.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 11:13:14 am »
2009  Manual of  " MOTORCYCLE SPORT "   by    Motorcycling Australia   (just about covers it )

Thanks , that what I thought.

now if someone could tell me where its states the following :- Are you reading the rules motomaniac, or just on a high horse?

Externally adjustable shocks, PD valves, fat bars etc are all currently legal.
Fair enough it you don't want them to be legal, but that would be changing the rules, which is a whole 'nother ball game.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:14:49 am by motomaniac »

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 11:18:50 am »
A class called "Viper unlimited" may be better.  Drop the "EVO" from the class name.
Then these woman will have nothing to go on about. Its a stand alone class with its own clear guidelines and no link to the existing evo class. Then the Maico 490 is a unlimited pre85 evo bike.. ;D yee haa lets go, get the claws out :-*
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:20:46 am by mxmaniac »
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 11:30:42 am »
VIPER Unlimited sounds good.
Cheers,
K