Author Topic: Scrutineering  (Read 17720 times)

Offline XR

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Scrutineering
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2009, 11:22:41 AM »
Are things quiet at work Ji ?

Ji Gantor

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »
Suggesting that at the nationals we get say 300 riders.
And lets say on average they bring 3 bikes each.
That would mean that the scrutineers have to get through 900 bikes.
Checking suspension travel and other class criteria and then the safety issues can we assume each bike will take 5 minutes?
If so that will take 75 hours.
So to get the job done we will need 20 scrutineers taking 4 hours without a break.
If this is right I and many more should do the scrutineer course to lend a hand.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2009, 11:24:45 AM »
You checky bugger XR.
It is my coffee break.

Keep well
Ji

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »
but has any one ever had their engine pulled down at a race meet to be measured?

Ji

this happened at the Tassie Nats last year when a dispute was lodged against a fellow QLD bike.
the motor was pulled down and measued and found to be OK.
the other guy got beat fair and square,
end of story.

nice maths on the duration of time to scrutineer all them bikes ji.
got me stuffed how they've ever done it in the past :o
so whens the next course?
"flat bickie"

Ji Gantor

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »
Hi Vandy,
Now if that bike was stripped due to a complaint from another rider the other rider has to pay for the work, is that right?

I don't know how long it takes to get the job done, but I just started to think about it from a managers point of view and WOW we will need a lot of scrutineers or more time or may be it does not take 5 minutes per bike. I posted those figures to let riders know how much they get from their non-paid scrutineers.

Ji

husky61

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2009, 12:22:27 PM »
The scrutineer will only check the obvious things at the begining of the event or pay particular attention to a bike if is brought to his attention.

At the nationals there are also other officials checking that the bikes are period correct but internal checks are only done on protest

I think the cheif stewart  accepts the Protest.

There is a fee to lodge the protest.

Then the onus is on the owner of the bike that has had the protest lodged against it to prove that the machine is with in the prescibed regulations.

The responsability for your ride lays with you and it is not the scrutineers responsability to make sure your not cheating , if you cheat you are only letting yourself down.

We were at the Tassie event and the protest was a protest , all checks were carried out , the bike was legit and it was a happy ending. The best rider on the day won and won well.

Costs to prove that the bike is legit is the owners responsability

That just about covers it. If not its pretty close.

Shoey

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »
what Shoey said ^^^
Now if that bike was stripped due to a complaint from another rider the other rider has to pay for the work, is that right?
i know when a dispute is lodged, it cost about $70 or so. a measurer/chief scrutineer {in this case} is then called in to do the detective work. as for, who pays for the damaged gaskets and stripped head nuts on that old pile of classic junk during the "stip down"? i'm unsure.
in order to lodge a dispute, aperson would need to be pretty pissed off or certain they had a genuine reason so yeah, i'd imagine a situation like that could get a little tricky.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:28:04 PM by vandy010 »
"flat bickie"

Ji Gantor

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »
When I made that comment I had just finished reading this rule.

12.5.1 Measurements at Meetings
12.5.1.1 A Steward of a meeting may direct the
measurement of the capacity of the
engine of any machine, to be carried out
at the conclusion of the meeting. Until the
measurement is completed the machine
must remain under the control of the RCB.
12.5.1.2 If an engine is measured at the request
of a rider or entrant, the rider or entrant is
liable for the cost of the measurement.
12.5.1.3 If an engine is measured for the purposes
of a protest, the party against whom the
decision is made is liable for the cost of
the measurement, and the machine may,
if the engine is found to be oversize, be
retained until such cost is paid.

So the Stewart can take on the cost of labour and the owner even if proven right pays for his own parts.

Does this mean you can protest agaisnt anybody you like.
I can not image how a protest against you would make you feel and how it would affect your riding.

I am still only looking for how all this works, I am not starting any fights.
Ji

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »
O.K.Ji,
STOP READING THE RULE BOOK!!!!! Unless your life depends on you taking out the Australian pre 85 open title.

If you just want to enjoy every odd Sunday flogging around in someone's paddock then lose the rule book.
Turn up to a meeting with your bikes, quick shade and esky and let the "How cool is this" atmosphere wash over you, the rule book will become a distant memory, your stress levels will drop drastically (Earl grey or beer also work a treat) and the reason you became involved with old dirt bikes will come flooding back to you.

PEACE 8)

Ji Gantor

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »
Look every body I am calm.
BP is down and heart rate is only 72.

What, are the rules by which our sport is governed taboo?

The more I learn the better person I am.
I will be riding this weekend at Kerry God willing but I don't see what that has to do with this.

What is the problem with finding out about how the rules are interpreted in regard to scrutineering.
I am not trying to provoke anyone nor am I trying to be disrespectful.
Is this a forum where free discussion is shunned.

Please lets all explore the rules that may help and save time for the volunteers at the Nationals by having our bikes ready to go without fuss.

Ji

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2009, 02:10:37 PM »
The reason I want you to stop reading the rule is that you run the real risk of knowing more than the officials running the meetings, not a good look 8) ;)
Q. What, are the rules by which our sport is governed taboo?
A. Have fun!!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 02:12:53 PM by evo550 »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2009, 02:14:05 PM »
Hi evo550,
Okay, I see your point.

Freedom of speech is very important to me and I love that old quote,
"I disagree with every thing you say but I would fight to the death for your right to say it"

Ji

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
just a small one I had to go through - I suffer from asthma and use a puffer.  I had to get a doctors approval document signed and registered with MA in case random drug screening found I was using a puffer - something as inoccous as a puffer but better to be sure than sorry.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Ji Gantor

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2009, 02:24:19 PM »
Hi Ross.....,
That is what I am trying to get out of this topic.
Issues that people have not even thought about.

If some one just wanted to put me off my riding and protested about my engine size I would want compensation when they found out my bikes have stock bores. Wouldn't you, especially when I think it is in the rules. I am not talking about MA paying I am talking about the protester paying.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 02:48:50 PM by Ji Gantor »

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2009, 04:08:21 PM »
just an opinion on the sprocket cover one as well - I had a simple cover made up to go over mine and passed OK at the last Nats - saw lots of guys head back to the pits to try and fabricate something at the last minute.  Rather than discuss 300mm here or there I would put one on to ensure nothing untoward after travelling such a long way to get to a meet?

Rossco

PS - the NATS are an awesome event - looking forward to heading to another this year - already prepping the bike ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica