Author Topic: Scrutineering  (Read 18352 times)

Ji Gantor

Re: Scrutineering
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 10:32:47 pm »
Thanks Tim745,
I will not be asking to see their badges but it is good to know that some of our brothers and sisters have done a course and know what they are doing.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:12:50 am by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 10:36:09 pm »
Hi Tim745,
It is just that evo555 I think said that Craig Anderson does not get his spokes checked. I figure from that we are in the same scrutineering legue as him. So that said I know they have their fuel checked and the sound level meters is in use for them.

Ji

oldfart

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 10:36:42 pm »
Ji , read the Ma manual .....starting at All DICIPLINES  page 91 most of what has been discussed is explained in the following pages

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 10:37:38 pm »
Actually Ji there are quite a few Accredited MA Stewards and Officials right here on this forum ;). PM me if you like about any pressing scrut question and I will try to steer you on the correct course. Cheers Tim  (Tim will do ..754 part pertains to a beloved light weight small bore gutless VMX sidecar I own)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:41:25 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 10:42:06 pm »
Hi Tim745,
PM sent.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 10:43:37 pm »
Hi Oldfart,
Would I have been sent that book with my race license?

Thanks
Ji

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 10:45:03 pm »
Ji at the modern MX nationals they don't scrutineer the bikes at all. They know that at that level the bikes will be right.

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 10:46:33 pm »
Ji
If you have a race licence you should have already read what they will be looking for at scrutineering
http://www.ma.org.au/Content/MA/FormsRules/Generalcompetitionrules/Manual_of_motorcycl.htm
cheers
Noel

oldfart

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2009, 10:47:55 pm »
Ji, YES       and 2009 manual  was issued before Xmas.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 10:54:11 pm »
Ji at the modern MX nationals they don't scrutineer the bikes at all. They know that at that level the bikes will be right.

sort of right. ;D regardless of wether or not they have one there- the 4 positions for mx nats have to be filled.Also riders/guardians have to fill in a declaration. 8)
cheers alison
Best is in the West !!

Ji Gantor

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 11:00:15 pm »
12.8.8.5 A counter shaft sprocket which is more
than 30mm from the outside of the swing
arm pivot, must be covered.

Okay, looking down does this mean that if the sproket is sideways more than 30mm past the swingarm pivot bolt or cap it has to have a guard?

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 11:07:57 pm »
Okay, I have just read those rules and yes I did read them before doing my race license test now I come to think of it.
Even your mudguards have to be a certain size.

Ji

oldfart

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2009, 11:12:16 pm »
Yes    and then proceed to the # above to get an Idea of what products you can use to fix it
         metal having a thickness 1.6mm  mesh with holes no larger than 10mm
         Fibre glass having a minium thickness of 3mm
         Even the size of bolts to be used

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2009, 11:50:29 pm »
Scrutineering Hmm, Hypotheticly how does a scrutineer get on if he passes a bike as being fit to race at the start of a race day , then later in the day a wheel collapses on a scrutineered bike causing injury or worse . An Investigation proves that the wheel should never  have passed scrutineering in the first place. Is the scrutineer legally liable  ???

Tim's covered the guts of this, but I'll add some padding:

If you are trained/qualified and you follow written procedures, then you'll be OK.

You risk a shit-storm if you are unqualified, or you 'make it up'.
MA (or your boss, or whoever is supposed to be in charge) will have to answer the other questions about whether your qualifications were actually suitable, etc.

So in Bill's example, if the scrutineer passes something that is clearly not safe, and it turns to pooh, then the scrutineer could be personally liable. I say "could" because there's still a lot of issues surrounding responsibility, whether the problem was/should have been found by the scrutineer, why it actually failed, etc.
In a lot of ways, the scrute avoids a lot of the responsibility for passing something that's not right, simply by bringing it to the rider's attention.

CAMS scrutineers sign off log-books with "NAFF" - No Apparent Fault Found... The used to write "OK", and then "No Fault Found" - I'm sure you can all imagine the (possible) legal arguments that brought us to writing NAFF instead...
Interestingly, CAMS are now moving to "Targetted scrutiny" - circuit cars only get checked once every 4 race meetings, plus the occasional random check. The responsibility to present a safe and legal race car, is back on the competitor.

The chance of legal action (justified or not) is far greater if someone dies - and that's basically just because competitors know and accept the risks and so they're are less likely to try to sue somebody. A grieving family, on the other hand, is often a relatively soft target for an ambulance chasing lawyer...

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

TM BILL

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2009, 07:37:48 am »
And What Trouble would thay get in to ????????????????????

no trouble,
1:you ask very politely to go fix it- please.   :-*  
2:all you can do for the safety of your fellow VMXer.
3:If all else fails-show em the hand gun under ya jumper. ;D
4:Level 4 scrutineers are well trained in PR work  ;)
alison

There are different levels of Scrutineers  ??? surley not  ::)