Author Topic: Scrutineering  (Read 17725 times)

Ji Gantor

Re: Scrutineering
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »
Hi Shortshifter,
I have already asked 211 Kawa this question and he will only be checking class stuff.

I think I have worked out how to do it.

I have images of Maico's and other makes of bikes that were raced last year and they also never had a cover. Some covers I have seen I don't think would pass this rule, not that there is much detail to it.

If we say that it is to protect fingers from danger than we only have to cover the back section of the cog where a finger could get dragged in. So the cover should start at the centre of the counter shaft and shield back past the end of the cog by say 15mm?

Ji

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2009, 11:36:26 PM »
How about this one Ji? A nice example of a homemade cover on a Maico.
I saw it at Connondale last year.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Ji Gantor

« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2009, 09:24:54 AM »
Hi Wombat,
Sorry I missed you at Kerry.
It was a pretty unusual track with all the up hills, down hills and off chamber everything else. Great learning track.

That Maico is a 74-75 mine is a 77. The fixture hole in the top of the crankcase had to be drilled in and I am not sure about the bottom fixture. I do not want to modify my engine to comply with this rule. I have decided to use the breather hose hole at the top as a fixture point and extend the leading foot peg bolt as the bottom fixture. This way there is no modification to the engine or chassis.

Thanks for the image of that other Maico I love to see how others have solved this problem.
I hope to see you at the next round.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2009, 09:36:29 AM »
I am unsure why members think I am whinging about making a sprocket cover. I need to know the rule and how it is interpreted other wise I can not design the cover to comply with the rules. I want to make a cover that just complies, no more and no less. Like on all race bikes FIM state that the weight can not be less than 85 kilos. Great, all the factory engineers know to comply with this rule all they have to do is make the bike weigh slightly more than 85 kilos. I think I read some where that most of the top bikes weigh in at 85.9 kilos. Again as a bike restorer/builder to make this cover I need to know how this rule will be applied. The design I posted in reply 106 I feel makes the grade but I would love to hear the opinion from a level 2 scrutineer.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2009, 12:28:19 PM »
How about this cover will it pass?

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2009, 12:30:05 PM »
Does this one comply with the rule?

Ji