Author Topic: NEW 2 strokes from KTM  (Read 11670 times)

mainline

Re: NEW 2 strokes from KTM
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 04:13:48 PM »
Anyone else seen the latest Transmoto mag with the "comparison" of running costs/durability between the 250/300 exc two strokes, and the 530 4 stroke. Believe it or not they were pushing the 530?

Funny they should pick those bikes for a comparison, maybe someone is trying to clear the showroom floor of 530's????
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:20:59 PM by mainline »

Offline oldie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »
Being a 2 stroke man for years, after a break for 15 years got back into it again, I had a 450 KTM & then the G450X in that time I still had a soft spot for the 2 stroke, so I now I've got a 2011 KTM 300, my first ride on it will be this Saturday I can't wait ;)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »
Saw one of them 510exc or what ever they are on the weekend in peices, it had more plastic parts than a chinamans bag, the head gasket leaked and through out a whole pile of hurt onto other bits, in the end its been pulled down and rebuilt, thats after they spend 30 mins tring to figure out how you get the barrel off as the cam chain goes throught there and appears like not removeble link.   

Also saw one of them Flash newer KTM450 in there few weeks back too, the little plastic oil pump cog thing broke inside and lunched the motor, went from a $10K bike to about $2k in parts, all over a 50cent plastic thingy the size of a 50 cent piece.

I"D BAck a 2 eee in any day if its a cost of ownership comparison...

74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »
If I was buying i'd seriously consider the 2011 Gas Gas smokers.  If your right leg still works you don't have to pay for the button starter if you choose.  The little 200 comes with all the stuff the dickhead magazines reckon makes a bike go faster so you don't have to spend a cent more than $10k.  Not much more for the 300 without a button. What's a 2011 ktm 300 retail for?
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 07:28:32 PM »
Being a 2 stroke man for years, after a break for 15 years got back into it again, I had a 450 KTM & then the G450X in that time I still had a soft spot for the 2 stroke, so I now I've got a 2011 KTM 300, my first ride on it will be this Saturday I can't wait ;)

You will love it Frank.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »
I own a 2009 YZ 250 2 stroke , love the thing , steathy flywheel , three tooth smaller back sprocket , perfect for trail rides. Reality it costs 8.5k for a new one , a few hundred on mods and its a goer. I like to reduce the compression damping alot , but thats more a time thing.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »
   Hey slakey,ive ridden a mates 09 YZ 250 a few times and found the very bottom end sudden/abrupt if not offputting! Iam thinkin It must be setup like that from factory for dupercross? the mid and top end are choice fun (YeeHaa!!!) , How did you find the flywheel weight effected yours?and what weight was it? other than that a great thing to ride as are the 300 ktm! Go the two bangers !

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »
Anyone else seen the latest Transmoto mag with the "comparison" of running costs/durability between the 250/300 exc two strokes, and the 530 4 stroke. Believe it or not they were pushing the 530?

Funny they should pick those bikes for a comparison, maybe someone is trying to clear the showroom floor of 530's????

Isn't the 530 the bike that's threatening to take KTM's reputation for reliability back to the early 1990s?  ???
I dunno - they might last OK if you get a good one, but plenty of guys seem to have stories of them going Bang at low hours/kays.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 10:20:44 PM »

Did they factor in the petrol costs of driving the 530 back and forward to the dealer on a trailer?  ;D
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 10:38:30 PM »

Yep, Kato's are rubbish alright, all 17 of mine have been piles!

Seriously tho, whilst i dont think the latest examples are quite the quality parts of the older girls (Kato's) they definately are NOT rubbish, I have just put rings in a 530 with 9000k on it, oil is changed every 10 hours and only good stuff (Motul 5100), engine is good, another a 525 '06 just did piston and rings early this year at 18700 odd ks, now has just over 20,000k, both are now on 2011 530s. Me, i have a 2009 450, my second Ktm 4st in 18 years, first with a warranty problem in all 17 bikes ...a pourous cylinder head leaking oil= WARRANTY, nil problems since.
Yep, some duds in every brand, but not many Katos in my experience, not many duds in anything out of Japan either although they do have some probs with FAST WEARING rings and valves.  THAT magazine forgot to factor in a head service,valves and cam chain at around $1500, but any 4st will wear them out eventually, any engine for that matter. Any modern bike is good, with maybe exception of Chinese product, in my experience.

xxxx :o

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 11:05:45 PM »
The old 400/520s (and the LC4s) developed a good rep for reliability, but its been going downhill in the last few years.

The 530s in particular seem to have a habit of eating their own internals for no apparent reason. One or two lemons is one thing, but there's been at least half a dozen different, premature 530 implosions reported on the modern forum I frequent.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 07:29:29 AM »
   Hey slakey,ive ridden a mates 09 YZ 250 a few times and found the very bottom end sudden/abrupt if not offputting! Iam thinkin It must be setup like that from factory for dupercross? the mid and top end are choice fun (YeeHaa!!!) , How did you find the flywheel weight effected yours?and what weight was it? other than that a great thing to ride as are the 300 ktm! Go the two bangers !

You have to get the jetting right or the bottom seems flat Warren Willing jetted mine for me, Go 4 sizes leaner on the neddle itself not the clips for a start. The bottom is so rich it wont pull.
Fly wheel makes it much more user friendly really pulls up the hills and you dont need to cluctch any corners, As I trail ride mine I went for a smaller rear sproket to help with fire trails.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »
    I havent seen him for a while ,his was rich at first on  the bottom  which we leaned off and cleaned up the bottom ,but it was anything but flat! it felt like it had some sort of "boost jet" just as soon as you cracked the throttle -bit offputting ! very hard to keep in control on a flat corner or tight spot unlike the wind on grunt of the 490 maico they also bring with them or my 430 ,iam all for power but in the right place, i could imagine you'd get used to it and it would be probably suit super cross or freesyle, I reckon the flywheel weight would mellow the anoying little hit and make it a gem to ride! PS did you setup bike from new? cheers
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:16:02 AM by Huskibul »

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 10:27:26 AM »

The 530s in particular seem to have a habit of eating their own internals for no apparent reason. One or two lemons is one thing, but there's been at least half a dozen different, premature 530 implosions reported on the modern forum I frequent.
[/quote]
The 400/450/530 are all identical except for stroke dimensions, even 66 failures amongst the 2000 odd sold over last 3 years is VERY low, something like 2.5%, not acceptable i agree, but is common in any automotive manufcturing today,even cars have engine failures, Gen3 Holden v8 for example.  You then have to account for things like the owner running it low on oil to cause the failure, very common with engines holding so little oil in bikes these days. I have a guy who says is using 200ml per 80k ride '09 450 Kt,rode 100k with him last week,we get back to car,he shows me window half full to prove his point, I say let sit and have a beer, 15min later window is full, i drained oil at home,sump and filter, he had used,assuming started with 600ml he says he put in, it still had 550ml approx, so 50 not 200ml in 100 k, quite normal with this engine, it doesnt take long to see a lot of problems on VERY high performance engines are starting to occur form incorrect or too little maintenance, like i say, any brnad has mechanical warranty problems, not just Kato's, I have owned riddern and raced 17 over 18 years,average 3500k year, ONE WARRANTY CLAIM.
kT

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »
gen 3 V8's were lemons and so are the current KTMs, I've mentioned 530's in my posts but in fact I know of more 450's blowing up than 530's, Including several that have blown up on there first tank of fuel, so not due to lack of maintenance.

The group I ride in, about 15 regulars, all had KTM's until 08 with very few problems one guy had a bad run with warranty claims on 3 525's in a row but not real dramas, all the guys that bought 530/450 in the last 2 years sold them within a couple of months because of the ongoing dramas they had....there is now only one KTM left in our group an 08 450...on its second engine
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM