Author Topic: NEW 2 strokes from KTM  (Read 11913 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
NEW 2 strokes from KTM
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:52:03 am »
KTM called it and built new 2 stroke models this year and the US market has ripped their arms off..... so much for feel good environmentalism designed to sell more repair parts..... I know what I would by, lot of orange out there this season/

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/54016/Motorcycle-Photo-Gallery-Photo/2011-KTM-Dirt-Bike-Models.aspx
formerly Marc.com

monaro308

Re: NEW 2 strokes from KTM
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:10:06 am »
Looks like they have everything in the range covered....The 300 2 banger might be on my list in the next  couple of years.

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:35:29 am »
Looks like they have everything in the range covered....The 300 2 banger might be on my list in the next  couple of years.

YOu certainly cant go wrong with the 300, they have been bullit proof all the years i have had them (since 1992), various models, VERY little change in engines, even a good '92 300 makes power similar to the current model, just doesnt have the electric leg or the 6 speed box.

4 strokes are a way too expensive marketing ploy, TWO STROKE ROCK for anything other than distance, I rode one Weipa to Cape York years ago, drank fuel but no problems other than that!

Kt

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:16:48 pm »

4 strokes are a way too expensive marketing ploy, [/quote]

Yeah finally the AMA are recognising that 4 strokes are killing MX affordability at grass level, there must have been a lot of parent sponsors push their kids to change sports after the first 250 4ST rebuild. Yamaha is also hangng in there with the YZ 2 strokes. I think KTM have played it smart, they have the market to themselves and there is segment of the market that will buy 2 strokes that are competitive..... namely trail riders, clubman racers.

The KTM 300 has always been an awesome bike .... repeatedly pops up as off road bike of the year in the US.
formerly Marc.com

monaro308

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 12:46:00 pm »
A mate of mine recently did a KTM ride day and sampled a few bikes.
He is a staunch 4st WR450 supporter/owner and came away impressed with the KTM 530 and may become a KTM 530 owner soon since Yamaha have done SFA with the WR450 in the last 3 odd years.
He also rode the 300 and couldn't believe a 2st had grunt,but it took a little more work.
I much prefer a lighter bike and hope to get back into riding again next year.
IF Suzuki brought out a modern day RMX250....i'd jump at it.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 12:57:49 pm »
may become a KTM 530 owner soon since Yamaha have done SFA with the WR450

Yes which is supported by the fact that Whibley swapped to a YZ450 after the first couple of rounds of the AMA off road champs loosing on a WR450 and hasn't lost since.

Its more Japanese factory weirdness where Yamaha has always thought the off road riders will be happy with 3 year old YZ technology.

I would go KTM300, funny the 300 is a low end slugger and can grab traction the 4 strokes can't
formerly Marc.com

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 02:46:46 pm »

4 strokes are a way too expensive marketing ploy,

Yeah finally the AMA are recognising that 4 strokes are killing MX affordability at grass level, there must have been a lot of parent sponsors push their kids to change sports after the first 250 4ST rebuild. Yamaha is also hangng in there with the YZ 2 strokes. I think KTM have played it smart, they have the market to themselves and there is segment of the market that will buy 2 strokes that are competitive..... namely trail riders, clubman racers.

The KTM 300 has always been an awesome bike .... repeatedly pops up as off road bike of the year in the US.
[/quote]
MA has just released MX class rule changes for next year- 250 2t's to the lites class for all levels. Apparently FIM is about to announce the same rule changes for the world mx classes as well, and a ban on 4t's in mini ranks :o

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 03:34:43 pm »

MA has just released MX class rule changes for next year- 250 2t's to the lites class for all levels. Apparently FIM is about to announce the same rule changes for the world mx classes as well, and a ban on 4t's in mini ranks :o
[/quote]

Wow finally some sanity, be interesting to see how the 250 2str go against the 250 4 str given that when that there was not that much in it with the earlier 450 4str bikes.

They shouldn't ban 4str in minis..... just let 80cc 4 str run against same capacity 2 stroke  ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 05:40:58 pm »
He is a staunch 4st WR450 supporter/owner and came away impressed with the KTM 530 and may become a KTM 530 owner soon

Do your mate a favour and get him to do some research on the 530 "problems"...they are a lemon! supposedly they fixed the engine after the 08's but they are still blowing up.

I reckon the 300 is a great trail bike as well, really good fun, i'd still have one ;D

I used to be a KTM fan and for a trail bike I always bought them but since 2008 they are just going down hill, one disaster after another (xbow,RC8, 530) except for the 350. The only reason the are going to still exist as a motorbike company is because of the Indians buying them out could be a coincedence but that was about the same time their quality control went to shit.

Here is KTM's future...Indian made bikes http://www.ktm.com/125-Duke.103835.0.html

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:58:45 pm by Mick22 »
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 05:56:54 pm »

Wow finally some sanity, be interesting to see how the 250 2str go against the 250 4 str given that when that there was not that much in it with the earlier 450 4str bikes.

Its not uncommon for a 250F to be a faster MX bike than a 450F, even with pro riders on board (ref: Villipoto at the MXdN a couple of years back).
I don't think this new rule will upset the apple cart much - the really good guys (who don't pay for their bikes/maintenance) will keep running 4Ts, the bright-eyed hopefuls will keep running 4Ts, and the club level plodders will still be faster on their 4Ts.
This rule simply makes the 2Ts a nicer prospect for that narrow sliver of riders who are good enough to be faster on a 2T, but not cashed up enough to live with a 4T.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 06:00:52 pm »
But can you ride say a service cr500 you cant tell me that a 450f has more grunt then even an older cr or kx500 and if you wanted to buy a new maico 500 or 700  where do you get one?
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 06:16:30 pm »
Its a shame KTM had to shelve most of their R&D in 2008. They were developing a 400cc Electric start, Direct Injection 2 stroke. It was supposed to have the power of an old CR500 with the rideability and economy of a modern 4 stroke, hopefully some other company will step up and develop a real modern 2 stroke.

It would be great if BRP decided to build motorbikes, that would really shake things up for 2 strokes!!
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 06:31:45 pm »

Its not uncommon for a 250F to be a faster MX bike than a 450F, even with pro riders on board (ref: Villipoto at the MXdN a couple of years back).
[/quote]

It also wasn't unknown for a 125 to win against the open class bikeas at MXdn but that doesn't mean everyone rushed out and all rode 125s.

I don't see a big difference in 250 2STR and 450 4STR performance except the 450 is easier to ride than an Ag bike and now has 3 years more chassis development in most cases.

I think a 250 2 STR will have the wood on a 4 STR .... defintely out of corners I think the 250 2 STR will piss off on equivalent capacity 4 STR. 250F is struggling against the big bore 125s that don't have anything like a 250s zap.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 06:53:57 pm »
this James Stewart kid did pretty well on a 125 against the 4 strokes

formerly Marc.com

monaro308

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 01:13:50 am »
He is a staunch 4st WR450 supporter/owner and came away impressed with the KTM 530 and may become a KTM 530 owner soon

Do your mate a favour and get him to do some research on the 530 "problems"...they are a lemon! supposedly they fixed the engine after the 08's but they are still blowing up.

Yeah Mick he is aware of the problems,my other mate has an 2010 530 that had just clocked over 1000kms and it turned into a huge smoke screen out in the bush.
Luckily covered under warranty but its a known issue.
Another mate has an 09 530 and used a shite load of oil and popped fork seals within a few weeks from new.
I like to burn oil the natural way...The 2 stroke way! ;D ;D ;D