Author Topic: NEW 2 strokes from KTM  (Read 11672 times)

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: NEW 2 strokes from KTM
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 11:34:52 AM »
gen 3 V8's were lemons and so are the current KTMs, I've mentioned 530's in my posts but in fact I know of more 450's blowing up than 530's, Including several that have blown up on there first tank of fuel, so not due to lack of maintenance.
The group I ride in, about 15 regulars, all had KTM's until 08 with very few problems one guy had a bad run with warranty claims on 3 525's in a row but not real dramas, all the guys that bought 530/450 in the last 2 years sold them within a couple of months because of the ongoing dramas they had....there is now only one KTM left in our group an 08 450...on its second engine
[/quote]
He should sell his too. It's certainly odd, I ride at different times with about 30 odd different owners, NONE have had engine blow ups at all, quite a few '08 owners had issues with oil consumption as well as some '09s,the guys with '10s and now 2011s are all happy so far all sorted under warranty.  Each to his own i guess. Its like the brand of car i work on, reports of heaps of engine "blowups" reality is,today,17 out of 40,000 vehicles registered had engine failures & thats over 4 years now. Like is say, each to his own.

Kt

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »
  PS did you setup bike from new? cheers

Sorry I havent explained correctly, The rich bottom jetting makes it feel like it hits harder because it cleans suddenly into the mid range. The bike will feel much smother with correct jetting.
I bought my flywheel from Ballards for $200.00 , I'm sure you can buy one cheaper on ebay etc but I was in a hurry.
Worth the money for sure. Yes the bike was spankers new when I set it up.
It's a completely different bike once set up correctly, I will do the suspension next. Heavier springs and lots of compresion damping removed is next on the list.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »
I would like to see them do the same comparison between YZ250 and KTM 530 ..... I ran them as enduro bikes for 6 seasons, nothing wore out except tyres, nothing broke, no DNF ... well no bike related ones. I ran 2 seasons on my YZ250U on one set of piston rings, piston was still in tolerance.

Also as the young kiddies crave 4 strokes you can pick em up for less than a top end build on a KTM 450.

There you go 5 k and the rest is up to you

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dirt-bikes/auction-333524815.htm

formerly Marc.com

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »
Currently own 06 300EXC  bought new 
Now has  clocked  over 7k
 Piston kit at 6K   & usual consumables  ,pads ,chains , wheel bearings.

Owned '94 model previous .
 Same deal ;

Great machines .

Seen a few mates switch to (various brands ) new age 4 $$troke grenades.......tried to tell them

Maybe after 1 or 2 rebuilds they may come to their senses :-\

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:10:07 PM by b490 »

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 02:25:48 PM »
   Yeah no worries thanks for that Slakey ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
If I was buying i'd seriously consider the 2011 Gas Gas smokers. 

One of my friends is a Gas Gas dealer, they are small company that tries real hard. So far the 4 stroke Gas gas seem to do what 4 strokes do and have the occasional blow up.... but the 2 strokes have been stone cold motherless reliable.
formerly Marc.com

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 03:18:08 PM »
After 10 years on 4 strokes, without too many drama's mind you, although 2 engine lock ups (under warranty/Euro bikes) and at the bottom of the biggest hill or in deepest darkest bush (never in your driveway), I'm back on a 250 2 stroke and loving it. Still learning how to ride it smooth and fast, but the big thing I notice is the lack of weight compared to the 4T's. My speed in the bush is about the same or almost but not so on the MX track just yet. Loving it to death and it can only help with racing a 2T VMX'er. Ridden 'em all and have never really liked the 300's in any brand and felt more comfortable on the 250's.
Cheers,
K

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »
The 2010 model ktm 530 450s must be an ok bike because this year they won the
4 day oz enduro, finke and hattah desert races oh an also the oz safari... yes i might be a bit biased
cause i just recently bought a brand new 2010 530 but i new all about the 08 an 09 mechanical failures
before i lashed out an bought it..
ive only put 250kms on it but its been a great bike so far..
has great power an handling but u really have to take care of them such as
change the gear oil an filter every 300 to 400 kms. ive already changed the oil after 150kms of smooth riding just
to play it safe and after 750kms i will be taking it back to get the valves checked... :)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
The 2010 model ktm 530 450s must be an ok bike because this year they won the
4 day oz enduro, finke and hattah desert races oh an also the oz safari...

:D I don't know what KTM race team does, but I can tell you that when Grabbo won the Safari on a Honda, they were feeding engines into his bike at a rate that would have the average punter running to the ACCC.
The idea that a race-prepared bike can be flogged for a few hundred kays before going in for a rebuild, has some relevance to the average trail-rider/enduro racer, is quite wide of the mark.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »

VALVE clearances should be checked as you suggest Andrew, 750k is probabley stretching it for first check, BUT, if they were correctly set you will not be adjusting them, even up to 5-6k you wont need to do them, unless you live at Finke/Alice that is!  Just did rings etc in one at 9k, yup a dud '08 one, guess what, piston  and bore in specs, VALVE CLEARNCES GOOD, valves good, he then sold it on to another one of our guys to ride and has a 2011!

I thought this is a vmx site?!?!?

God rides a KTM!

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2010, 05:46:40 AM »
God rides a KTM!

Good thing Sunday's are a day of rest then  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 07:13:03 AM »
Just don't mention Wee 90ty! Its ok then

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010, 09:13:22 AM »
Mates got 12,000k's up on an '09 530. Had to put rings in at 7,000.  Hasn't missed a beat.  Another mate has a '02 520 with 18,000 k's new top end at 7,000 still going strong.
All my mates and I all ride modern ktm's and have done for over 10 years now with no problems other than normal wear and tear.  We usually do top ends at around 7-10,000k's.  $1,200 parts and  labour.  Less if you source parts from the U.S. and do it yourself.

Got a few mates who race the safari with them and don't have the luxury of replacing motors everyday like the factory sponsored riders.  None have DNF'd due to reliability issues.

Keep in mind that modern 4 strokes weigh half as much and put out twice the power that they used to. 

I've always been a fourstroke rider and could never understand all the fuss 2 stroke riders make about 4 stroke maintenance.  Sure 2 strokes are cheaper, lighter, faster but I just love the growl and torque of a 4 banger.

Different strokes for different folks.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »

Different strokes for different folks.

Indeed...

Although, I think a lot of the hard core lovers of modern 4-strokes would be very pleasantly surprised if they lived with a modern 2-stroke. I've heard of plenty that have 100hours++ on them, and are still on the original piston - and sometimes even the original rings*... Sure, they're not at their peak but they still start easily, run well and don't Go Boom.
And a full rebuild is about $1200 (piston kit, replate cylinder, rod kit, bearings & gaskets).

One thing that I do find amusing is the way the YZFs & WRFs have a great reputation for reliability among the modern 4-strokes - which is mostly well deserved. But nobody ever talks about how much it costs to rebuild one - the cost of parts is way beyond even what Honda gouges you for...
I know of a well used, well maintained 07 WRF450 that needed a freshen up (hadn't gone boom or been flogged to death) - the bill came to nearly $3k inc labour without doing the rod (which it really should have scored to avoid the Going Boom scenario).
A similar job on a CRF was just under half that...

*Thinking about it, I must have done 100 hours on my 94 TM125. Still got the same piston it had in it when I bought it used in 1997 - one ring in that time.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »
The true test of reliability is when they are motarded......the KTM's outlast the 4 jap bike engines by double or tripple....most of the jap 450's struggle to go a season without going bang.....and the Yammies go bang bigtime...one mates conrod hit the downtube that hard they had to realign the frame mounts.....I think the only part they didnt buy was the clutch.... ;D ;D  all european bikes needed was good electrics and carby's to beat the japs and they did that by using the jap stuff....kehinn carbs and kokosan ign's and now there EFI....if you cant beat em, join em ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.