Author Topic: seal savers  (Read 4650 times)

mainline

seal savers
« on: September 28, 2009, 07:53:52 pm »
not really tech,

but does anyone know where to get the stubby cooler type material seal savers for old style forks? All the shops sell are ones to suit humungous modern forks.

cheers

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: seal savers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:14:47 pm »
Mainly - this is from the other thread re the RM250Z.  I had a quick look and they offer 3 sizes.

http://www.bermmotorsports.com/

Let me know how you go  ;D

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:38:57 pm »
If you're in the Brisbane region, go to Full Throttle Motorcycles at Slacks Creek. They have all the sizes.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 11:46:32 pm »
Go to the wet suit shop get the scaps out the bin and run a stitch up them. make any lenght you like
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

mainline

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 05:55:42 am »
I am in brissy, so I'll head over to Slacks Ck I think, thanks guys

Sorry Rossco, you're on your own ;D

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 10:19:50 am »
hi mainline you could also try i think hes called micks moto logan home on the service rd beside the m1 near aegis the licence training people.i bought mine from there circuit racing brand there removeable held on with velcro and cable ties fit my pe 175 perfect come in 2 sizes mine are the small ones $20 a pair

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 02:17:37 pm »
yeah = good on ya! :D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 04:15:12 pm »
Are they really necessary for old forks?
Conventional "old" forks either had large wipers or boots to protect the seals.
The modern upside down forks seem to have done away with either of these protectors (less stiction)making the actual seal work harder to clean the fork thus wearing out quicker
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

mainline

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 06:55:05 pm »
I suppose the only reason I was after them was cosmetic. I don't mind fork boots on my YZ but for some reason I like the bare forks tubes on the PE?

I thought the seal savers would help out the dust covers a bit.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 10:47:52 am »
Its not for the seal is for the FUken Rocks, my 07 YZ is Kained from this years handfull of races, the Dt tracks seem to sand blast the BEEgeezas out of everything.

On a bad day you get 10mm rocks in the dolomite they spread, so its put so many chunks in the 07 upper Fork legs im spewing, and they had plastic guards on the sliders too, but the TOP of them are chipped to shit. 

Ihave since put them on the uppers of the Old girls in long strips to stop them getting chipped to shite ( may look poxy but cheaper than hard chroming and less HF.    The lower legs i Have started using Duck tape strips, and after one meeting you can see how much damage that they take, maybe differant on sany loam MX i guess, but on the hard track by the end of the day it all shreads and is litteraly falling off. 

UNless you out the Front GMC your going to cop a Sand blasting at best , rock throwing at the least.   Im trying to get some of them Plastic covers from the US, like the Matchbox tracks to cover mine up properly, cheaper in the long run i think.  But for KNow i have wet suit strip held on with Zip ties.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:52:30 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 04:27:05 pm »
Freaky, use the fibre duct tape in place of PVC type - much thicker 

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 06:17:20 pm »
On my modern trials bike I use 50mm lay flat hose split down the crease & cable-tied in place, amazing how well it lasts while protecting from limestone rocks catching the legs. You'll need to buy in minimum of 1 metre length

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 06:29:37 pm »
Its not for the seal is for the FUken Rocks,

Well, thier called seal savers, not roost protectors.
I thought all moderns had plastic roost protection these days.
I don't doubt the sand blasting your bikes cop as I'm sure your always following someone ;D but I'm not sure how much protection the seal savers would give you as they don't cover the whole fork slider.

My 2000 KTM used to blow seals soon as look at it but the seals lasted much longer once seal savers were fitted
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 09:43:40 am »
Not a big fan of the "seal savers". Had a set fitted to my sons ktm 50 sx for about 6 months and removed them after washing the bike one day to find a ton of crud trapped inside and corrosion around the fork leg where the neoprene came in contact with the leg. The neoprene seems to hold moisture for a long period of time. If you have to use them I would advise removing them after washing the bike and allow to dry before refitting......especially if you have magnesium legs.

CamP

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 11:06:18 am »
Not a big fan of the "seal savers". Had a set fitted to my sons ktm 50 sx for about 6 months and removed them after washing the bike one day to find a ton of crud trapped inside and corrosion around the fork leg where the neoprene came in contact with the leg. The neoprene seems to hold moisture for a long period of time. If you have to use them I would advise removing them after washing the bike and allow to dry before refitting......especially if you have magnesium legs.

The sewn up seal savers will cause those problems.

The velcro closure style seal saver like those from Shock Sox can be quickly removed before washing your bike and work great at keeping the crud out.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:07:55 am by CamP »