Author Topic: Lights on!  (Read 6324 times)

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Lights on!
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:29:53 am »
Having recently purchased a 83 YZ250K im now in the process of getting the bike through Mr Vic Roads for rec reg.
 I thought others might like to see how to do it ( or what not to do). I have regoed the kids DS80 minibike so ive been there before, but the DS already had tail/headlightd and they were powered by the motor. With the YZ i will try wing it with a total loss system (not legal, but a lot of people get away with it)
So far i have bought the following,

Acerbis Elba headlight

IT/ TY style taillight

Rec rego wiring loom

LED tail/stop globe

LED globe for headlight

Remote control car battery

Pushbike rear vision mirror

Honka clown horn

First problem was the Headlight globe holder would not accept the LED globe, so i used and old indicator globe holder and glued it onto the headlight.
 Next was mounting the harness onto the bike. This was easy, just make sure the loom dosent rub anywhere. Heaps of cable tie are used. Mounted on/off switch on the bars.
 Mounted battery inside the airbox using two cable ties and double sided tape. Plugged headlight in, turned switch on, light works.
Next job will be to mount and connect tail light, brake light switch.
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Lights on!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 11:05:15 pm »
Done some more work, connected the rear brake light switch, mirror is on, honka horn is bolted on. A problem i found was the YZ front brake cable is too short when using a headlight. Checked the part numbers and as i suspected a IT250K brake cable is a bit longer and works. Ive booked it in for friday at Vic Roads. 8)
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:47:39 pm »
D Day came.Got to Vic Roads, all was going well until the chick says the honka horn is not allowed. :'( 6 weeks ago i got a DS80 through with one fitted. Anyway she said if i came back before closing time with a motorbike horn fitted she would put it through. This gave me a total of 40 minutes to go back home and rig something up, which i did. Returned with 10 minutes to spare. Got the bike reged for $107. :)
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 11:28:05 pm »
thats great so what is the go with non complianced frames i thought they had to be complianced for road use. it is good if you dont need compliance could imagine a street cr500 thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 08:09:52 am »
There are restrictions where you can ride with rec rego and this is a very grey area. You cannot ride in built up areas towns with speed restrictions, freeways and  some off the major logging roads. The girl at Vic roads couldn't really answer my questions about this subject, but told me that the DSE have different ideas of where you can ride.
When I got my WR 250 rec reg I spent hours getting brake lights and tail lights working but they didn't even check anything, just the Vin number. I don't really know how good rec reg is but at least it looks like your trying

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 05:58:00 pm »
Non complienced frames are ok, but you cant use rec reg on main roads. It is a bit of a grey area but a bit of common sense is needed when going riding. Dont use it in built up areas, towns major roads. Stick to state forests ans national parks and it should be fine. Last time i looked into it i was told that the Vic Roads country directory numbers all roads and certain numbers are ok to use rec reg on. I mainly put rec reg on my bikes that i dont use often. My main reason for getting rec reg is for the TAC insurance.
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 07:19:48 pm »
seen your Yz 250 nice looking bike well done didnt recognize you you dont look like your profile Pic :D thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 10:56:40 am »
seen your Yz 250 nice looking bike well done didnt recognize you you dont look like your profile Pic :D thanks Michael. :)

Must have been the nose job and i wasent wearing the beanie. ;D
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:26:23 am »
dirt Pilot , I am looking for a magnificus , do you have any ?

How many do you need?
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 02:41:56 pm »
I saw your nifty YZ on Sunday but didn't realise it belonged to a forum member. Nice lookin' bike.

Interesting comment on the horn. I know of people who've got through with the bulb type ones. Maybe they've tightened the rules recently?

The TAC angle is a goood one, but would you be covered if an accident occured at a vinduro on private property?

Tex

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 04:05:22 pm »
They do a lot of checks on bikes in the forests these days so the $100 odd dollars is cheap insurance for hassle free trailriding.
I will be getting rec. reg. on my KDX, just not sure if it will happen this year or not.

You can also get LED lighting kits that I beleive suck what power that is needed (not much) from the plug lead.
These are intended to light up bikes for rec reg.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline DIRTPILOT72

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 11:05:53 pm »
I saw your nifty YZ on Sunday but didn't realise it belonged to a forum member. Nice lookin' bike.

Interesting comment on the horn. I know of people who've got through with the bulb type ones. Maybe they've tightened the rules recently?

The TAC angle is a goood one, but would you be covered if an accident occured at a vinduro on private property?

Tex

Thanks Tex. I registerd the kids DS80 6 weeks earlier and got through with a honkie horn but even then they said it was under review. This time no luck. As been covered,as far as i know, as long as the event is non comp. you are ( im not 100% sure).
Honda XR200 x2
Honda XR250
Yamaha Yamahopper QT50