Author Topic: Help moto retro illustrated  (Read 9287 times)

miniwheels

Re: Help moto retro illustrated
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 07:33:40 pm »
Geez I am a subscriber and I am getting very toey for issue #2 as well but give Mitch a chance after all he has gone solo on his effort without big publishers backing him, from what I have read with his previous 4 efforts it's one of the best mags around, equal if not better than VMX and I subscribe to that too, he also had a pretty big get off on his bike a few months ago which sent issue #2  miles behind, he gives updates on his facebook page and from what I read on it he has sent issue #2 out to subscribers yesterday.I hope it continues ???

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 11:46:11 pm »
anyone recieved #2 yet of Moto Retro

http://www.motocrossdigital.com/
another one gone by the way side...really got to market yourself and stay out in front these days.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

kevwrx

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 08:48:21 pm »
Im really happy that I took out a 1 year subscription to this mag, received one issue (late) and a bunch of lame duck excuses ever since.
FFS

firko

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 12:10:30 am »
I understand how difficult it is to put out a niche market magazine without serious financial backing and big corporate advertising but Mitch is blowing it bigtime here. Even if we get our five month late issue#2 this week, the ability to attract future subscribers and advertisers is now seriously compromised. With the mythical issue #2 being so far behind schedule who'd want to fork out for a 12 month sub or pay for advertising knowing that we could possibly never see another issue? I feel a bit sorry for Mitch but he must have gone into this both seriously under funded and under staffed which had him behind the 8 ball even before issue #1 was released.

I'm also glad I've only got a one year sub.

miniwheels

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 12:56:58 am »
Yeah starting to think us subscibers have been stooged >:( pity really his previous efforts were excellent reading , I heard him getting interviewed just last week on the net, reckons he has 3,500 subscribers and climbing each week ??? I suppose if it does bit the dust the one and only issue will be a collectors item :-\

Evil Rudy

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 03:26:13 pm »
Mitch Boehm is an extremely well regarded and respected moto journalist with decades under his belt at Cycle World and running Motorcyclist. He has spent years building his integrity and I highly doubt he’s stooging anyone. I know two things from him directly; he had a big off while doing issue 1 that set him back weeeeeeks (which has set back issue 2 weeks as well), and he’s basically getting buy on freelance work and his wife’s salary.

Doesn’t sound like a pyramid scheme to me.

Anyhoo, issue one was so good I read it twice, one time without moving my lips even… so I’m happy to wait for number 2.

firko

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 04:10:28 pm »
I agree with you on Mitches abilities as a journo Rudy but was merely thinking out aloud about it now being hard for him and Moto Retro to catch up after falling so far behind. The accident came at the worst possible time in a new magazines life which undoubtedly set a downward spiral in motion. I don't think Mitch's duping anyone and really hope he can pull it out of the shit as I reckon it's the only magazine that can even come close to VMX as far as quality of content and production values. To save it all, Issue #2 needs to be on the shelves pretty damn quick.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 10:02:28 pm »
There may be a ray of hope, Soup had a pic of the front cover of #2 on recently, a pic of Kenny Roberts with his 1978 title-winning 500.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 10:27:37 pm »
Small world- my Husky mate from the big smoke sent me this    ;D

Best is in the West !!

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 05:55:26 pm »
Have you seen the photo of king kenny's museum out back of his house in amcn, plenty of fine looking machinery in there

Offline Greenstripe 250

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 07:53:40 am »
Issue 2 is now on sale,bought mine this morning from England. Issue 1 is also still available. ;D
1973 XR75KO
1974 CR250M
1975 YZ80B
1976 YZ80C

firko

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 03:04:32 pm »
I finally got my Moto Retro #2 and you know what? It's very good. The Kenny Roberts and DT1 pieces are great but my favourite is a nostalgic piece on my favourite ever motocross track, Carlsbad. The quality and content are great and if he can get back on schedule, should have a good future. It's got a different vibe to VMX and CDB so it fits right in for those punters who like both dirt and road/race bikes and personalities.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 01:30:23 pm »
Got my copy today down mexico way, It,s been worth the wait,lots of good reading,I hope mitch can keep it going,there is an interesting add towards the back,some mob called ottoco who do repro dg heads amongst other things,I tried googling them to check,em out but the website is not finished yet , there stuff looks top quality

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 11:13:40 pm »
Got ours today way out west.
Nice long interesting articles on other people.  8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Mitchell184

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 11:59:52 pm »
Just signed up and wanted to thank those of you who hung in there, waited patiently for issue two, and didn't throw me under the bus like so many others here. That sort of behavior seems to dominate the forums I've been on; amazing to read sometimes. Working on issue three now, and I'm sure you'll dig it. All sorts of '60s/'70s/'80s mx and street stuff, including a motocross roots piece you'll really like - Edison Dye, J. Robert, DeCoster, Larsson, etc and an event that got mx started here in the U.S. (Of course, judging by some of the posts on this site, America is still a hated place populated only by buck-toothed, ignorant southerners. Whatever.)

Thanks again, and if you need to reach me, my email is below.

Best,

Mitch

Mitch Boehm
Moto Retro Illustrated
www.motoretroillustrated.com
mitch@Motoretroillustrated