Author Topic: 2010 VMX Tri Series  (Read 34678 times)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 VMX Tri Series
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 07:32:48 pm »
VMX247
Apologies up front.

Sorry but i dont fully understand the question. Bit more info?

Thanks, Rod
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 07:46:30 pm »
VMX247
Apologies up front.
Sorry but i dont fully understand the question. Bit more info?
Thanks, Rod

If the junior modern mx can do it why can't vintage  ??? ???
I have reread though the posts and yes you may have a class problem, too many.. :-X
----you seem to talk yourself out of it--- get a committee together and do it---if you can't,then run it at the Classic Nationals.  :-X
Ill get back in my box now -- hang on  ;D ---if I knew who you knew and lived where you lived, I'd be picking dates and doing it  8)
cheers
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 07:51:38 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 07:47:38 pm »
O/K the light has come on - Sorry :)
Whilst we ride old bikes, primarily Evolution & Pre85, the class structure and the sport is very much a crawling infant. You need look no further than a dozen threads on this site to work understand this. Junior racing is a whole different beast. Junior racing is driven by the parents, not the riders. It has evolved since day dot, is a well established class that has evolved as the bikes have. As the riders move from Juniors to Seniors, there is always a new group of riders (and their) parents to replace them guaranteeing a steady stream of volunteers, committee people, and voices.

Evolution & Pre85 riders have to play double duty, and it is very hard to stay focussed on both. I was in this position for 3 years and struggled on race day to work out wether I was a racer or a organiser and this takes it toll, to the point that this year I have sat out the full year from both committees and racing to try and re-kindle my enthusiasm, and I am not the only one.

Additionally as we drop off the racing scene, there is not another gaggle of new blood coming trough to replace us. What is coming through is riders that want Pre90 and god forbid Pre95, in other words a different generation of riders.

I'll leave the "get on a committee and do it" comment alone. People that know me understand where I stand on this.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:09:24 pm by Bahnsy »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 08:05:45 pm »
Bahnsy,Yep get your drift -I was probably being too enthusiastic  :-\
Your side of the country is way different from our side  ;D
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Damo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 08:07:55 pm »
Well I can speak for QLD and say we are keen to get it going. I have put a proposal to the QVMX and we are keen as a club to run with it. I would sponsor the QLD leg via my Wiltec business and have stuck up my hand to help organise from this end. I have had talks with people from Echo Valley re their venue and had good feedback or it could also be held at a new MAQ complex about to come on line in SEQ.

I agree it will be hard to get off the ground but all things start small and work their way up in size if people become involved and support it.

It is (the series) designed to attract new people to the sport that are interested in the 80's error of racing and from the feedback of people on this forum I am sure that could be achieved.

People interested can contact me via the forum on PM or my company address at [email protected] so we can get idea's on the go and mover forward.

Our plan was always to have in the last half of next year (July through November) so time is still on our side specially with the nationals being early year and depending on the CD7 timing.

Shane

Shane,

You are an asset to the sport, good on you mate for believing in the feedback you have been receiving.

I for one will be giving it all my support here in NSW.

Damo

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 09:23:50 pm »
I reckon is sounds like a worthwhile idea - and if guys like Magoo and Shane are driving it, then even if it does flop, there's little chance of them getting disillusioned and f#$king off from the sport. ;)

I'd make the effort to go to at least one round, partly to support the concept and partly for the opportunity to race my pre-90 bike...
If there were classes for the older era bikes, then I'd be more likely to try to get to all three rounds, but I understand that the older era bikes aren't the focus of this idea, so I wouldn't stamp my feet over it.

Not sure if I understand the negativity, really.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 09:42:03 pm »
I'd like to hear from Bruce. Last i spoke to him it was more along the lines of an Interstate event. ie a combined VIPER/Heaven event that formed part of each others points tally. This was done some years back at Denniliquin.
Perhaps his thinking has changed.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 10:31:21 pm »
I reckon it's a great idea, however, I would approach it a bit differently. For it to 'work' I would look to tack onto another existing series(whatever that maybe) and hopefully pick 3 meetings at vintage friendly tracks.The benefits you could offer a promoter could be 40 min starters, plus the obligatory large cash VMX mag sponsorship  ;D, so the tri-state bundled up with riders sponsors, media coverage etc etc, nix for the weary promotor to do.
Love him or hate him Terry O'Neil has promoted successful road race Tri-State series, he is surprisingly easy to get on the phone and would probably be willing to help anyone with getting this off the ground.
Failing that I would be willing to help with drafting and sending press kits and results to motorcycle media and a few promotional ideas.
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 11:30:54 pm »
Not sure if I understand the negativity, really.
Somebody has to play the devils advocate. It's all very well to propose something but I doubt that in the rush of enthusiasm that prompted this, not too many of the negatives were discussed. I've seen these "Eureka! I've got a great idea" situations arise countless times over the last 20 years and the big problem with many of them have been 1: The original ideas man starts off in a gung ho fit of frenzied enthusiasm, drumming up all sorts of support within the movement and then as things get closer to the time where the hard yakka takes over from the pub talk, the ideas man quickly oozes into the background leaving it to others to do the hard work on his big dream.

The other problem is one that I mentioned earlier. We're living in fantasyland if we reckon that the punters are going to trudge up and down the East Coast chasing a series if we can't get half of them to travel 2 hours from home for a club day more than once a year. I've discussed this very problem with Magoo and he's agreed it's true. What makes us think that a three way interstate series is going to be treated any different by those same punters that sit at home watching the footy on a Sunday arvo rather than support an event a few short hours away?

Sure I'm negative here but that comes from experience in these situations. There's nothing I'd love to see more than the Tri Series be a success but after having being stuck with other peoples dreams in the past know that many of these concepts fall flat on their arse because everyone sits back waiting for someone else to do the work. Anyone who really knows me will know that my passion for this sport is boundless but I'm also a realist and after 25 years of involvement in the vintage motocross movement have realised that you can't expect the 'shop floor' vintage racers to share your ideals on everything. Expecting bilateral support for a series is a pie in the sky fantasy. Look at the woeful support for the Dirt Track Nats and the need to plead for punters to enter the Nats every bloody year as examples of rider support. Apathy reigns supreme.

As I said earlier, sure I'm negative, but it's because I'm a realist and honestly believe our sport isn't ready for a concept like this yet.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 11:52:44 pm »
When will it ever be ready?

I'm not generally much of a believer in the "Build it and they will come" - but if you don't build it, then there's nothing for anyone to come to...

It doesn't need across-the-board support - and that's one of the things that we need to let go of if we are to move foward. The VMX movement encompasses a diverse bunch of bikes, and an even more diverse bunch of people. It stands to reason that no event can be all tings to all people, particularly not a race meet.

Collectively, we don't seem capable of saying "That's not my thing, but good on 'em for giving it a go! I'm sure they're all going to have a great time" - instead, 'we' always spend time talking about why it won't work, and why we won't go.
(I'm talking about tons of stuff, not just this proposed series. And yes, I've been guilty of it too).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 12:04:16 am »
Jeez Firko - and Bahnsy .How was your enthusiasm levels the year before the first ClassicDirt happened?

No doubt there is alot to consider and alot of support and hard work needed but same could be said for alot of events /ideas.

Aussies are know as knockers but they are also known for havin' a go ain't they???????????

The state of the economy might be a valid point at the moment but its not going to be like this forever.

If you have a vision I say keep looking ahead .

firko

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 12:31:59 am »
Aussies are know as knockers but they are also known for havin' a go ain't they??
As I said, I love the concept and I really hope it comes off . All I'm doing is pay the devils advocate and throw what can happen to bugger the whole thing. I've seen it happen so many times before and reckon the sport is too fragile right now to handle another floperoo.
Having said that...I'm more than willing to help out in any way I can. The concept is sound and the initial enthusiasm is good. I only hope that that same enthusiasm is there after round one.

STW996

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 05:52:52 am »
Guy's it is all good so far we need everone to jump on board be it negitive or positive so far no negitive just guy's that have been around looking at it from both sides and that's cool.

I have had past experience with running and organising state and national championships (at Karting level) so know it is no easy thing.

I have been discussing this for some time with Magoo and sounding out a few things and asking people in general conversation for their point of view and that is why I am will to do a bit of work to take it to the next level. Having said that I will need 2 others from NSW and Vico on board to help.

Lets keep the idea's coming and remember you can email direct if you would like to dicuss more offline so to speak.

I will be doing the rounds at Coles Creek this weekend to gauge support and alike.

Shane

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 05:59:57 am »
This Idea,could work if the the Main clubs that want to run a round in each State started communicating you would have to think apart from the Interstate competitors the Local riders would make up the fields,to a worthwhile level You don't really have to re invent the wheel here just adopt the formula that made the Thumpa Nats so successful by that I mean quality tracks the right classes and the right promotion,You need to try and bring ADB on board as a sponsor so that the events get the right pre event exposure,it would be an idea to invite some of the "Stars" of that era to form a class similar to the "Pro CLass" at he TN.this will help bring in the spectators which ='s $ in theory it should snowball from there as did the Thumpa Nats,(maybe)

I was involved with the Club in Qld that ran the TN and it was the most profitable event that the club ran each year until it stopped,a big part of the series initially was the EVO class as a series it hit the right cord with a lot of spectators and competitors that enjoyed all aspects,I am sure this could be repeated with Pre 90's done the right way,what is the right way it appears each State based club has the ability to run an event of this nature all that would be needed is a series coordinator and a press/promotions person/committee.

So if there are enough people from an organisational point of view "have a crack" but look back on what has worked well in the past and don't unnecessarily try and re invent the wheel.

Hec I would do the series if a over 50's class was thrown in :D

All Things 414

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 07:01:06 am »
Not a snow-flakes chance in hell
It's all good to say "if juniors can do it why can't classic?". I can see huge differences just as a competitor.....
Juniors (and an awful lot of their parents) feel that they are going to be the next Reedy or Bubba or whoever's the 'in guy' these days and are more than enthuisastic to give up their lives to travel all over the country-side. They don't have a wife/girlfriend/boyfriend at them with "oh so your racing this weekend again."
These people can see an end to a means from all the aggrivation associated with the hassle (Little Johnny's going to be a superstar one day just you see...).
What does the guy get that wins the Vintage Tri State series?......
A trophy.
He's not going to be propelled into a new life of sports cars and fast women.....
And people are always going to say "Yeah, well, if such-and-such had been riding that round instead of going to his Aunt Mary's funeral that guy would never had won the championship..."

And someday, somewhere, someone is going to protest over the tiniest of things, "That's a '90 model swingarm bolt. Anyone got 70 bucks?" and Vintage civil war shall surely engulf us.

Put the effort into where it belongs.
Your State held meetings.