Author Topic: DRM 400  (Read 45617 times)

Offline Jens

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: DRM 400
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2009, 06:46:39 pm »
Bah!

I always forget to ask atleast half of what I wanted to ask... Anybody know the axle diameter on a 1980 RM250 rearhub? And I would be pleased to know the oil amount for a 1982 RM250 fork, in milliliters, liters, centiliters or whatever as long as it´s according to the metric system... heathens   ;)  I guess this is a job for Oldfart, I kinda see him like bicycle repairman in the Monty Python scetch. Divine powers when it comes to old bikes  ;D  Well I guess that´s all for now, in an hour or two I´ll propably remember all the other stuff I wanted to ask...

Full throttle folks!

Ooooh, yeah, now I remember. What´s the difference between a two stroke and a fourstroke carburetor? Is there any difference at all except for the obvious like jetting? For instance my Curtis Honda utilise a Mikuni VM 38, could I use it (with different jetting ofc) on let´s say a Husky CR390? Not that I would ever want to though... And more so, what carb you guys reckon I should use for my DR400 engine, I was thinking like a VM36.

Over and out
Full throttle!

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2009, 07:15:53 pm »
1980 rm 250 rear axle size is 15mm , i went onto www.alpha-sports.com and looked up rm 250 on parts catalog clicked on rear wheel and clicked on wheel bearing and it gives you the bearing sizes 8) thats how i worked out to find the right rm wheel to suit my DR 500,rm 250 1982 fork oil should be 178mm down from the top of the fork with no springs in and compressed , or around 425mm of oil in each leg by memory ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:17:33 pm by mick25 »

oldfart

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2009, 07:25:56 pm »
Bearing size 6202

Offline Jens

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2009, 07:26:48 pm »
You really can find EVERYTHING on the internet  ;D Forums are just for us lazy bums... Thanks Mick, did you get the mail I sent you? If not I´ll resend it, hotmail lived a life on it´s own the other day...
Full throttle!

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2009, 07:31:38 pm »
Yes jen got your email thanks  :)have you got any spare swedish blonde hotties to send to aussie land for trade on DR info ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:33:21 pm by mick25 »

Offline Jens

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2009, 07:54:07 pm »
Mick! There are heaps of them along the streets now in the spring  ;) See If I can trick one to go to Aussieland.

Full Throttle!!!
Full throttle!

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2009, 07:58:20 pm »
Himmmmm new job tour guide for swedish blodes thanks jen 8)

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2009, 04:18:01 am »
White Bros used to do a 36 mm Mikuni carb for the DR400
I have the carb body and most of the internals brand new. What I've lost is the jetting specs and White Bros has been sold. However there are jetting specs for the XT 500 for this carb to be found on the internet and they may not be too different. For this carb to work I reckon you would have to have a fairly modded motor or it would be likely to be slower  [on tight tracks at least].
This carb was used in conjunction with a race cam, ported head [intake weir ground off], 420cc high comp piston and a megaphone!

Past tuning attempts with the XT in standard capacity found the 36 to be too much carb, with power down virtually everywhere against the standard late model 34mm. Apparently the late model  XT OEM34 produces good power but is difficult to rebuild, thus most people stick on the aftermarket 36 which is a very very simple carb. The aftermarket 34 has been said to not run cleanly for some reason, not for the XT at any rate.

Now the standard DR400 comes with a 33mm carb, has a bore 1mm more than an XT, but a shorter stroke.
 However the jet needle  on the 400 is a single taper and as soon as I did any more than take off the intake snorkel inside the airbox the jetting went haywire , or in standard english Jens it went lean to rich or the other way round all on the  jet needle. Idle was close and so were main jet and slide cutaway.
The  single taper needle profile stopped working when I opened up the airbox intake.
I had a spare SP370 carb so a I put that on and it was waaaaaay faster. So I dropped the needle one position,  took the main jet down two sizes and   later put in the idle jet in from the DR400 carb, and it carburates very well.
With hindsight I should have upped the main jet back to standard after I put the two size smaller idle jet in, but by the time I found this out it appeared to be running happily still, so I've left it alone. I now have bought two more 370 carbs on UK ebay, as the 370 has a two taper needle which was just made for the 370; so they come with the carb or not at all!
The  standard jetted 370 carb also works fine [ just down a size on the main jet] with just a K&N airfilter and no airbox on a bog standard motor. I ran this combo in a DR400/Maico sidecar combination for several 1000 miles 15 years back. What I haven't done yet is switch the needle/needle jet from a 370 carb to the 1mm bigger DR carb to see if that works. The carbs use different diameter slides  so it is not 100% that it will.
As the DR400 was only sold in the USA for one year there is  almost no internet knowledge to be had from the USA.
I've trawled and trawled the Internet seas but never found any helpful  engine tuning info.

Offline Jens

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2009, 07:59:29 pm »
Another one for ya:

I need a 17mm rear wheel axle at 300mm length (not including the bolt head) otherwise I´m screwed. I know that some DR600/650´s and Honda XR600 axles are diameter 17 but I don´t know how long those are... Any suggestions?

What I´m looking for is a 17mm axle that´s as long as a RM250 1980 rear axle, so... how long is a 1980 RM 250 axle?

Regards Jens
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 07:12:01 am by Jens »
Full throttle!

gavin

« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2009, 03:54:04 pm »
Hi all,
After seeing a couple of DRM400's here in NZ at VMX meetings I've taken the plunge and got hold of a 'T' model 1980 DR400 to give it a go myself...
It already has 36mm PE forks fitted.
After reading the Motocross Action articles on a similar bike this is my plan so far (luckily I have 1 1/2 79/80 RM125's and about 3/4 of a PE175 for parts)

Fit some 38mm forks from an RM (possibly front wheel to save some weight)
Fit either a PE175 or RM125 swingarm (probably PE due to shock mount positions)
Upgrade shocks (dont know what length til I fit the swingarm)
Fit an RM125 rear wheel (DR weighs heaps with the cush drive etc)
Replace collector box and std silencer with a pipe from the end of the std header to an alloy muffler.
May fit a 36mm mikuni (white bros type)(slim chance of one off a TT500 at the moment, but anyone know the white bros jetting specs for the DR?)
Can I fit a 34 or 35 mm Kehin of a 2 stroke? or am I being very dumb?
Any good sources for a Cam?

So, have I made any huge mistakes so far with that general plan?
Any advice, experts of the DRM400?
I'll put some pics up when she's done... If she's done...!

Thanks guys.

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2009, 08:11:07 pm »
I'm a rubbish offroader but I've fiddled around using all the below
The PE 175 swingarm will fit the DR wheel assembly [which is heavy] without modification. However it needs 2  top hat spacers turned up to fit the DR frame which has a bigger swingarm spindle. It's dead easy to do and you end up with a slightly longer swingarm, at least an inch. Some guys over here thought that was an improvement. You then have to use a much shorter shock length, unless you are have 34" legs [The standard steel swingarm will go to 16.5 inch on the shocks and you need to do this as the head angle is a touch slack as standard and there isn't much room to steepen it ].
Negatives are a more spindly swingarm pivot which in theory might get through bearings, probably not a problem for track use; and more importantly the shocks are more upright and have more loading so they work harder and need  much stronger springs
The PE250/400 ally swingarm uses the same swingarm pivot size as the DR  and is otherwise identical to the PE175
I have a RMC [250?] ally swingarm to go in. The swingarm pivot housing is weak, as Old Fart has stated. However all that is needed is an internal slightly longer sleeve  inside the housing,  into which you then fit the standard DR bits. An engineer charged me one hour to do this, again a doddle
However the wheel spindle end is different and that may need fiddling with dependant on what wheel you put in. As standard, DR stuff doesn't fit, though the width is fine
I did recently pick up a wheel spindle for a supposedly 250 RMC ally swingarm. I took it off myself but it turned out to be smaller diameter than my RMC swingarm, so that may need checking
By the way the RMC swingarm length is identical to the DR so the only advantage is weight. It uses [as Bazza has stated] a 398mm shock length, but that's from memory so you'll need to check back through this thread.
Robin of Falcon Shocks reckoned the spring rate needed was so close to standard DR as not to matter. I've had no time to check yet

Early 38mm forks will work with standard DR wheel. Late ones with the 4 bolt clamp use a bigger wheel spindle. You can get the early 36mm triple clamps bored out 2mm, Suzuki appear to have done this themselves!
If you use later 81 on beefier triples the early DR steerer [when swapped over] only just catches the thread. I don't know if the late triples work with the early wheel.

I may still have the jetting specs for the 36 Mikuni. Tom White sent them to me on a hand written note. Thus far In clearing the bottom half of the shelves and draws I have found a missing letter from 1978 so there is hope!

Old Fart  got his cam from Aussie Tighe. I got mine from UK Phil Joy, and USA Megacycle still list for the DR. As already stated you will need stronger valve springs

gavin

« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2009, 05:18:23 pm »
Untold gems in there ;D
Thanks.
Seems like I'm on the right track. I will be using for MX so The extra length of the swingarm will be useful in both raising the ride height, and quickening the steering. Not to mention the weight.
I have no shocks yet (other than some el cheapo 16 inch ones on at the moment and some blown PE units. . . An upgrade is on the cards - anyone whos made this swingarm mod? What shocks, length and, I guess more importanatly, spring rates did you settle on ? ???
Be awesome to get those carb specs when you find them. 8)
Thanks again guys

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2009, 06:05:09 pm »
The PE250/400 ally swingarm uses the same swingarm pivot size as the DR  and is otherwise identical to the PE175

no, the PE250/400 alloy swing arm is a lot more beefier overall than the PE 175 alloy swing arm.

for valve springs try R&D valve springs from Serco or www.bbimporters.com.au

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:11:21 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2009, 03:22:45 am »
Sorry I haven't seen the two side by side

gavin

« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2009, 02:42:41 pm »
Hi,
finally getting started, well got all the bits out anyway...

Has anyone had any luck with fitting a Mikuni 34mm VM(round-slide) carb to one of these? Seems like a good idea as I dont plan to do enough to the engine (i.e. cams, flowed head etc) to warrant a 36mm. Also it would meant that I could fit an RM125 airbox and filter that I have, instead of the exposed K&N currently on the bike.

Latest plan is the PE175 swingarm and rear wheel (has the cool brake and sproket on the same side setup!) early 38mm RM125 forks and front wheel from the PE as well...

Any further thoughts on the carb issue?