Author Topic: EVO challenge  (Read 10305 times)

Rosco400

Re: EVO challenge
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 09:02:03 pm »
The answer to the low numbers is clearly with the pre-78 pre-75 chaps. One would have to ask them why they didn't turn up. (we're talking only about 5 of them turned up) I heard they were all going to a dirt track race the following weekend. Not sure if that's right but it would be a good excuse.

Correct, A National event needs support and if it is not supported in its own state, that state runs the risk that no other club in NSW will run it in the future and it will be lost altogether. Hunter MCC put a lot of effort into the dirt track nats and although DT is not everyones cup of tea, it does need support for the future of the vintage scene as a whole, hence my decision not to ride at Clarence . Also couldnt run the risk of destroying a pipe or a bike the week before a National Event. Unfortunately, there is only three tracks in the Heaven rounds that are remoteley Pre 70 Friendly, i.e Lakes, Buladelah and Glenbawn. Canowindra is being touted as a pre 78 friendly so that will be a test case for the pre 78ers My pre 78 and pre 70 both run down pipes and Ive had 4 pipe replacements in the past three years.  It should also be noted that I and another have only missed three rounds of heaven in  over three years, two due injury and this one. I enjoy the atmosphere and the riding ad drinking and friendships made, but have noticed a drop in Pre 78 numbers and I can only put this downto the tracks we ride. 4" of travel on some of these tracks is pretty hard work both for the rider and the bike and can be painful at times ::) I would believe this is the reason a decline on some tracks.The club as far as i know is trying to source tracks that are pre 78 friendly

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 07:41:16 am »
Rossco, do you want me to introduce you to my good friend, Mr Paragraph?

;D
Seriously, that's one of your better posts. I don't personally agree about the tracks, but I also know that my opinions on that topic seem to be pretty much the opposite of most people's... Maybe because I don't have any down-pipe bikes running?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Rosco400

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 08:32:22 am »
Rossco, do you want me to introduce you to my good friend, Mr Paragraph?

;D
Seriously, that's one of your better posts. I don't personally agree about the tracks, but I also know that my opinions on that topic seem to be pretty much the opposite of most people's... Maybe because I don't have any down-pipe bikes running?

What is your opinion of the tracks for all Pre78 in NSW, are you saying they are all to hard, to easy ??? :)

New Paragraph:

I havent said I dont like riding the tracks, just that they are sometimes painful for both bike and rider. Some tracks are just easier to ride than others for older bodies :o

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 08:35:15 am »
Rosco,
Thanks for the post. I agree regarding the national event and its need to be supported by the vintage community in general, not just dirt track. I feel that it is about time that the dirt track, enduro and motocross guys get together and develop a plan to work strategically together and help each other out, rather than fighting for bums on seats at our own individual disciplans. What do we need to do to make this happen?? Feedback guys.
I would of loved to ride the dirt track nationals this weekend but due to all the other commitments and costs, unfortunately I cannot. So best of luck to all those guys riding this weekend and I'm sure that the HMCC will put on a great event. I have baby sitting duties this weekend but hope to bring the boys along on Sunday at some stage for a look and catch up with a few people.

firko

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 10:23:13 am »
Firko, What are your thoughts in regards to the re-structuring?
I can only make an opinion based on observation and past experience as I'm not privy to the inner workings of HEAVEN or any other clubs.

I reckon that there are too many rounds. 8 or 9 round series have, for various reasons, all failed in the past. In the beginning everyone is gung ho "Yeah!, gimme more rides!!!'' but after 4 or 5 events a number of racers invariably get tired of the quick turnaround and bored with the "same old same old". You'll always find that the younger racers are initially the keenest but the first to start picking events. Nothing personal, just an observation.

In the old Penrith days when the club actually gave a shit, we settled on three motocrosses and three dirt tracks as being the perfect mix. We had the advantage back then of having perfect venues in Amaroo Park and Dargle, both superbly pre 75 friendly tracks, so we had one round each at Amaroo and Dargle, two dirt track rounds at Nepean and the big Condoblin Queens Birthday weekend Greybeards meet which had a dirt track on Saturday, a motocross on Sunday.
The beauty of that series format was that all of the events were within the Sydney metro area except for Condo which was the only 'away' event, ensuring maximum participation. If you added both the motocross and dirt track Nats and a non series motocross at Mt Kembla you ended up with a full and varied year of racing.

Now, I realise that it'd be pretty hard to replicate that format considering the lack of suitable venues and the seeming lack of interest in dirt track by the new generation of vintage motocrossers. A decade ago a good proportion of the motocross racers raced dirt track, it was a natural flow on to what they'd been brought up with as back in the 60s and 70s everyone rode both without question. Having dirt track as a part of the series added  much needed variety to the equation.

Another thing was did that seems lacking today is to promote, promote and promote. I personally called as many racers as possible between events to see how they were going, ask if they had any problems with the past event and to drum up the next event. We gave the next event a bit of a push with pre event in ADB, AMCN and Revs.
With todays vastly improved electronic media access it's unforgivable not to be hyping the next event and sending the occassional email or phonecall to racers to enhance the club/racer relationship. As I found, everyone likes to be treated as special so a personal email or phonecall is always well recieved. I'm often told by oldschool vintage racers that my personal touch phonecalls were a major factor in them remaining keen. We also had flyers printed which we distributed to as many bike oriented businesses as we could to be left on the counter and placed in shop windows. We even had rock band style posters printed for both of the early Nats, both dirt track and VMX that Penrith promoted. The midnight runs to place them on telegraph poles added a bit of cloak and dagger fun. ;D

To ensure that as many racers want to compete at any given event, the meeting has to have a certain desirability factor. By brushing off an event as just plain "round 3, motocross, Clarence" instead of something like say....."A Day in the Dust, the Clarence Challenge" or something a little less tongue in cheek. I realise that it was tried to jazz up the last Clarence round as the Evo Challenge but there didn't seem to be much heart in it. HEAVEN has got it right with the Crawford River Classic but it still needs to by hyped up to the hilt. The Ray Ryan/Roy East/John Hine/GE  trophies need to be pushed to become Holy Grail trophies and the great social aspects of the event need to be highlighted.

So, assuming that a dirt track option is never going to catch on with HEAVEN racers, my idea for a well laid out race year is 4 motocross rounds at 4 different tracks with each event taking on a "Something Special" personna. We already have the CRC at Buladelah which leaves three events to be formulated and hyped. A catchy title needs to be thought up for each round with a showcase class or feature race pushed to seperate that event from the others. The EVO Challenge idea is great and you could really push next years by perhaps drumming up the Damo v Carl, /Young Gun v Old Fox aspect
or something along those lines.

The 10th Anniversary Canowindra event is especially unique being a stadium twilight event and it should have been hyped to the hilt, not just with the usual suspects but in the Canowindra and surrounding local press for weeks leading up to the event. Local papers are hanging for local interest pieces and you can get unbelievable free promotion via sports page or general interest articles. Photos and 'colour' pieces can be pre written and submitted to the papers and any local riders interviewed by the local "ace" reporter for a bit of local input. The benefits of this are many, the downside zero. You'll encourage a lot of locals to come out and have a look and possibly encourage new entrants from among those locals. Invite the local mayor, councillors, service clubs like Rotary and Apex and business leaders along and push that you'd like the event to become an annual event and that you'd like to work in with the town to make that possible. The end result could then become another Condoblin where the Shire Clerk and many of the towns business leaders were the actual people pusshing that meeting. The Condo Greybeards was in actuality a Penrith club/Condoblin club/Lachlan Shire council three way promotion.

These are just a few random ideas garnered from my 22 years in the vintage motocross business. Granted I haven't been involved in a hands on way since the end of the last century but the theories that we used then are still relevent today.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:40:04 am by firko »

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 11:33:43 am »

The end result could then become another Condoblin where the Shire Clerk and many of the towns business leaders were the actual people pusshing that meeting. The Condo Greybeards was in actuality a Penrith club/Condoblin club/Lachlan Shire council three way promotion.

I've seen this idea work a treat at a few meetings in Victoria where the CSC has run events in small country towns and really involved the locals in the whole event, local reports in the paper and even local TV and most amazing of all to me.... crowds coming in to watch at classic events!! not the usual "hangers on" that come along with the riders but peolple coming in off the street. The towns really take some ownership in the event and get involved, everybody wins.

I think this will become more important as I can see the future for VMX meetings being on temp tracks as the perm tracks become less vintage freindly. If you can get a local council to donate some land for once a year as well as help with the promotion it has to be a good thing

Another thing the CSC does is have a Feature race at each round eg Morlang Memorial Race, Harrow Point-to-Point etc. It gives each round its own identity and adds a bit of atmospere to the event.

The electronic media should make things easier, but in some cases it seems to make promoters a bit lazy. They spray out an email and think they have covered all bases.... nothings beats the old ring around to drum up a bit of support and get a bit of feedback
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 12:13:33 pm »
What is your opinion of the tracks for all Pre78 in NSW, are you saying they are all to hard, to easy ??? :)

Personally, I find the jumps of Clarence and the old Canberra track a lot easier on my body than the roughness of Buladelah - even before I busted my leg there...
I think that many people have an emotional response to seeing jumps, rather than going by what actually happens.
If you look at the injury stats (and take out things like DB's bike failure), Buladelah is not the holy grail that its made out to be.

Even the new Canberra track's jumps aren't that bad - I find the fact that the tops of the table-tops aren't maintained anymore, to be heaps more of a problem than the size of the jumps themselves (don't get me wrong, it was a much better track before the ACTMCC sold their soul to the dream of bright lights and razzle dazzle).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 01:26:04 pm »
Gotta back up a lot of what Firko is saying. The majority of our meets over in WA are the "round 3 motocross narrogin" type affair.  However the annual Wandering natual terrain pulls them out of the cupboards - over 100 riders, heaps more bikes, spectators like I have never seen before and all miles from anywhere.  Articles in the Sunday times, advertising.  It seriously can't hurt and more often than not is more than worth the effort.  We have started advertising for next years big event.  And we even know over here (in the forgotten reaches of deepest, darkest WA) of the Crawford River Classic etc etc etc - so get teh wrod out there!

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica