Author Topic: EVO challenge  (Read 10300 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: EVO challenge
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 01:11:22 pm »
Too many competing events (eg Nats a few weeks ago, DT Nats next weekend), and not enough advertising. Events have to be marketed - made to sound like a fun thing to do that you'd be mad to miss. A flyer on a website a few weeks before an event, with barely enough time to get an entry in let alone decide to ride it, doesn't help. Too many clubs are falling short with marketing. A website isn't enough, you have to get out there and grab people's attention. And you need to keep their attention. It's hard work, but the old HEAVEN website under mark Austin made you feel like you really were part of something.

More than anything though, I think there are too many events for the few riders...

firko

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 01:38:38 pm »
More than anything though, I think there are too many events for the few riders...
Hallelujah Graeme. I fully agree with everything you've said. If you look at our sport over the previous years it becomes pretty apparent that the well promoted events are the ones that come out on top. You'd be surprised just how many clubs contact the magazines through Ken, AJ or I a week or two before their event with a half hearted badly written copy that does more to put you off going rather than being pumped enough to go. A week before is too late and those events invariably fail. The PR has to start 6 months before and the the racers need to be continually reminded through the media, this forum and other outlets.
The sport needs to get their act together locally before new interstate series are introduced. If they won't travel locally, they sure as shit won't travel interstate for one event, let alone three. The answer  of our sports future success is in fine tuning what we've already got and producing a calendar that is more user friendly.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:40:57 pm by firko »

shoey

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 01:44:00 pm »
Location and the number of other events competing for participants.

Its the fluctuating nature of the game in NSW , so i wouldnt read to much into the numbers.

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 01:56:13 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep it coming. All constructive critiscism is encourgaed.

firko

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 02:07:31 pm »
Location and the number of other events competing for participants.
Exactly Rob, the calendar is too cluttered in the June-October period. I would also add that Clarence isn't a very desirable RACE location but you must admit that the racers in the Premier State are a fickle bunch, the piss poor response to your own second Vinduro still sticks in my mind. After the great success of the first Vinduro and the number of "I'll be back for sure" responses, the lack off support was baffling to say the least.

There's a need for some restructuring here in NSW and I'm more than willing to help in any way I can.

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 02:20:49 pm »
Firko,
What are your thoughts in regards to the re-structuring? I am a relative newby to the VMX scene and this is only my second full year of competing. I hear a lot of different opinions and idea's from people on how things should be run but not many are willing to put there hand up to do the hard yakka when it comes to running or promoting an event. From what I can understand you have a lot of experience and passion when it comes to the VMX scene  and would really appreciate your input. I am keen to assist in anyway I can here in NSW (especially within the HEAVEN club) to make the sport more of a success and enjoyable for all those that participate and those who might potentially participate.
Dan

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 04:38:09 pm »
I think the timing of this one had an effect,

HSC coming up, football finals, etc, Just too much else on, this time of year,

Clarence isn't every bodies favorite, but I had fun on my Pre70/78 machines in the support races,
and it was pretty easy going on the Evo bikes.

Cheers
Noel

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 08:39:31 pm »
I didn't make it because The Wife was away and I was baby sitting/building rally car.

Its been a great event in previous years and Clarence isn't too far from home, so the desire to be there competing was not lacking.

I know the committee had looked at the issue of the missing entries before the event, and that several regulars were out for reasons othr than dis-interest.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 09:05:01 pm »
Don't get to dejected, NSW is not the only state that is suffering in this way.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Damo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 12:40:32 pm »
I would like to thank Dan T 166 for sacrificing his 3rd place position in the last Pre85 race of the day, I crashed out of the lead on the last lap and was stuck under the bike (1st time in 30 years of racing, how helpless do you feel!) Dan stopped and pulled the bike off me.

I am nursing some serious gravel rash and a corked thigh a pro footballer would be proud of, thanks to the concrete like surface at Clarence MX track. :( :( :(

I would also like to thank Don Gibson and Therese for the enormous effort they put in to make the weekend happen.

Damo

fsc

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 09:04:09 pm »
Dan
This is my opinion and, firstly I would like to say well done on putting you hand up and asking for everyone's input. Secondly, I believe that having 3 weeks between races events is a bit to close together and puts a little bit of pressure on the home front and money has to be taken into account as well. I think reducing the amount of races in the season could be a help to the numbers problem.
Cheers

Offline DG 26

• B-Grade
  • 250H 125D it490 looking for pre75bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 09:33:57 pm »
G,day all
Yes it good to see the good sportsmanship in Vintage racing
A BIG thanks to Dan for all his help runing the meeting  AND EVERYONE for chiping in and helping out including Stewy & Mike who drove up just to help
Thanks , hope the gravel rash heals soon Damo  ;D
Cheers Don

montynut

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 12:01:39 am »
No dis-interest on my part the Monty was ready to go  :'( but a broken leg from last meeting   :-[ did slow me down a bit .

I think three meetings in seven weeks does put pressure on everyone including our hard working organisers. If we look at the three meets.

Lakes - new track and first meeting for some time. So attractive to most
10th Aniversary meeting in October is a new concept and probably interesting to everyone.

I feel that this means that the Clarence meeting was probably out of luck for anyone looking to drop a meeting. Just my opinion after considering it for a few days. Probably miles off the mark as I am still taking pain killers for the leg fracture ;) ;D

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 08:26:47 am »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Keep it coming!

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 08:22:04 pm »
Boys,
        At first I thought the lack of numbers was because, like me and the Medic, they couldn't find the joint. The numbers did pick up after 8.30am when I put the new VMX sandwich board out on the T intersection.

The answer to the low numbers is clearly with the pre-78 pre-75 chaps. There was a good deal of Evo and pre-85 punters, but stuff all of the others. Hence the flaggie issue for Evo and 85. One would have to ask them why they didn't turn up. (we're talking only about 5 of them turned up) I heard they were all going to a dirt track race the following weekend. Not sure if that's right but it would be a good excuse.

Overall it was a great weekend away. Another memory for the bank. Low numbers yes, but that had it's advantages too. The team work was something that could be proud of. No winging, everyone helping out. The Dans, Dougs, Gregs, Johns and the other doers all did a great job to keep us on the track.

Another thing was it is great to see the younger riders out having a go. Don't really know why they are riding bikes younger than themselves, but they are and adding something to our sport. Good on 'em.

Pete

KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg