Author Topic: Clearing my name and my bike  (Read 13111 times)

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Clearing my name and my bike
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 01:35:04 AM »
Brad-try "Jatsco" on Us e-bay-if he does not have the air caps , he can make them.

Funny thing is, I am a volunteer AHRMA tech inspector here in the US. First, it is amazing the number of times I get asked "why" is a rule in place. Sadly, I can only deal with the how and not the why. As for the US VMX clubs-AHRMA has the reputation of "scutinizing" bikes more so than ant other organization.
That said, in our "post vintage"program-we seldom have travel checks. Of course, the only class where travel is limited is "Historic"-equal to your pre-78 class.
While we require 9" travel max, I can't recall a travel check or a protest.
BTW I'll have ot check on the 77 Husky specs, but have never seen one raced in Historic, the reality of the AW Maicos and MC5 KTMs is that the springs would sag killing usable travel anyway. We all weigh a bit more these days-and fit better springs.
In the pre-75 classes, we more frequently install spacers( which are either nylon or delrin or?) that must be purchased-and even caught a 1975 #136 360 Bultaco engine in a 1973 chassis once. We frequently get bashed in AHRMA for checking travel on pre-75 bikes-and for no non period flatslide carbys on 75 up bikes.

Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 01:47:14 AM »
Brad, not sure what the rules are there, but here for pre-78 you can run any 38mm era fork provided the travel is 9"-so many AWs are actually running the 79 38mm fork w/ spacers.

Ok here is the dreaded yank editorial: When we have "emulators" and other hidden performance devices, which IMo actually help suspension action-it seems inane that we require 9" of travel in pre-78( Historic here in US). I agree to scrutinize the pre-75 bikes,as there is so little wheel travel -that any advantage IMO equates to a performance adavantage. In pre-78-I really think it makes no real world difference, yet I UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS A RULE.

I think Brad has gone out of his way-and I would do the same. I have given back trophies-moved myslef up a class etc....once I used an older bike 75 KTM-laid the shocks down( stiffer springs etc)-put on some 210 mm Cerianis-and kicked their 77 model asses with my old, heavy KTM. Really, if we are hinset I think most any of us would want to set the record straight-and if we are in violation-to correct it.
What has not been said is how this may affect Brad's perspective about continuing to race pre-78....or even race old bikes at all.Here in the US, pre-78 bikes are not in great numbers-I personally thank anyone and everyone who brings one out through my tech area.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

DR

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 03:46:01 AM »
What has not been said is how this may affect Brad's perspective about continuing to race pre-78

mmm, crystal ball time...I see Brad dominating pre'78 in all classes. Want to protest? then you best find some 100% factual and not fictional discrepancies or you'll lose the protest and your reputation in one ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:47:43 AM by Doc »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 04:11:28 AM »
I HATE LONG POSTS! SO MAYBE I SHOULD WRITE A BOOK ON
             *** “HOW TO LOOSE FRIENDS AND CREATE ENEMIES” ***
IF IT WAS NOT PROTESTED ON THE DAY? YOU WIN SIMPLE! TIME TO MOVE ON! BUT POSSIBLY THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR "MA"TO PROGRESS!
       There is nothing to be gained from harbouring "I’ll will" in our sport! It will only serve to eat a hole in the soul of VMX Australia. Imagine that energy spent instead addressing our inadequate and incomplete progression of GCR’S since the post POST PRE 1975 era! (GCR’S pre78, evo, and pre85 need to be finally finished and clarified). Submit your recommendations and proposals to MA please, instead of wasting every body’s time and bitching this forum!
       Brads 77AW400 was “as purchased” and not protested on the day, and therefore probably should have not been mentioned! But you entered the oreana first Brad! Although I have never met “Maico Stu”,  I believe he is an MA official of some sort! And although he may lack in computer expression, he certainly shows he has a clear comprehension of the present GC RULE’S and  I think for one he should be respected for his forum restraint!
       “Nathan S” gave an initial post that is still PERFECT and indeed needed no reply, in the first place from any body! Let alone the usual "Guru" poop stirrers! (But we all knew that wouldn’t last!) Be honest, didn’t we?
        You know Brad, I believe you just bought a great pre 78 bike, that being an 77AW400 for the obvious pre78 VMX race class. Just to enjoy as is, a well-sorted package, with no intention to flaunting any rules. We all know you haven't been here in VMX that long! You probably didn't even realize that they have 9.5" front and back travel in standard trim, but I can assure you that the brochure is correct. I doubt that many would know that most 1977 model bikes actually exceed the pre 78, 9"(229mm) front and back suspension 9" limit rule. Indeed, even the front suspension of a 1977 RM125B in standard trim is 9.1". And by the rules should be limited to 9" with no allowable margin of error to be considered into calculation.

IT IS TIME FOR OUR POST 74 GCR'S TO BE FINALLY “COMPLETED” AND CLEARED UP. AS IS THE SAME CASE FOR EVO GCR'S AND PRE 85 GCR'S.

MAYBE IT IS A GOOD THING ALL THE CONFUSSION FINALLY COMES TO A HEAD AT LAST.

A DIRECTION NEEDS TO BE CHOSEN!

AND OBVIOUSLY NOT BY ME!

IF IT WERE UP TO ME?       THIS IS HOW I FEEL!

I have always thought it would be far more simple to solve eligibility by simply accepting a VMX bike, by when a bike was or wasn't in production of that era! Rather than make it so difficult and complicated for people to overcome ignorance and the suffer cost of complying buy transforming a once politically correct machine to a so-called “even playing field”. Especially when most of us are on a budget! Arguably money that may be better spent on safety! Or actually covering the cost of attendance and competing! Which would add to the number of competitors and actually facilitate the survival of our sport! EXAMPLE: a Maico long travel 74.5 was factory produced and eligible in the latter period of 1974! So why is it unacceptable in that production state in pre 1975 races now? If you want to have a crack at a low HP, poor tranny ratio, gutless but good handling MC250 Maico? Get yourself a Spaniard Sanga or a Sarky sceamer and smoke the Maico! The same descision we all made in the so called "DAY". So why should it be any diferent now?

We could follow US rules, which isn't too shabby I supose.?
  OR
My Feeling’s ( which are built from feeling’s of my mine and my freinds)
   OR
  “LOZZA’S” proposal of a logbook? THERE IS A VERY SOUND REASON WHY THAT IS THE ROAD RACING “NORM”!     SOUND REASONING. AND IT IS MAKING THE CONSTRUCTION OF MY “PERIOD 4” PRE 1972 MAICO ROAD RACER SO EASY, BECAUSE IT IS DESIGNED TO TEACH ME A COMPREHENSION OF THE RULES! IF I THEN CHOOSE TO VARY MY BIKE SPECS AS STAMPED AND APPROVED IN MY LOG BOOK OUTSIDE OF PERIOD PRECEDENTS???? WELL I WILL BE PENALISED AND DISQUALIFIED! AND RIGHTFULLY SO!  

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:30:16 AM by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

All Things 414

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 07:16:50 AM »
That's one of the best postings I've read in a long, long time. Well said Mick.  :)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 07:17:33 AM »
protest counter protest, cheats and liars, extreme bike measuring, Makes you glad to be a NZder. ;)
formerly Marc.com

DR

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 07:27:03 AM »
or the seriously non competitive type :P ;D

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
What has not been said is how this may affect Brad's perspective about continuing to race pre-78

mmm, crystal ball time...I see Brad dominating pre'78 in all classes. Want to protest? then you best find some 100% factual and not fictional discrepancies or you'll lose the protest and your reputation in one ;)

100% Mate - go's for the pre 78 125 class as well.I think that we finally determined the bike#36 didnt have more travel than a B model with its C model forks , just rubber handle barclamps and longer aircaps.
Thats what all these postings have been about.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:12:06 AM by motomaniac »

All Things 414

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 08:07:54 AM »
I can here someone on their way who's gunna shout "That's enough of all this! I thought I told you all we weren't talking about this stuff anymore!"
And someone else is gunna go......
ZZZZZZZZZzZzzzzzz. (He always cracks me up when he does that  :D)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 08:12:30 AM »
ross this is probably the first time there will actually be a result to this topic with out being told to shut up by the tribal elders  (like it or not) and im sorry to say this but i know more about that bike than any body  but havent said so as yet ,to see if they can work it out like civillized men
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:15:29 AM by PAUL »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 08:14:44 AM »
I can here someone on their way who's gunna shout "That's enough of all this! I thought I told you all we weren't talking about this stuff anymore!"
And someone else is gunna go......
ZZZZZZZZZzZzzzzzz. (He always cracks me up when he does that  :D)

ZZZZZZZ Ross look at all the bored people viewing this thread! Don't these folks work?
Good luck Fella's .I gotta go and earn a quid.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:21:40 AM by motomaniac »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 08:35:40 AM »
Brad-try "Jatsco" on Us e-bay-if he does not have the air caps , he can make them

Monaro , John makes great stuff and is a great guy .
Not having a go but my next question is if its not legal to use an OEM aircap from the same manufacturer but from another model .Whats the go with getting new parts made in 09?
How are we going to differentiate or police that? In the end how can you determine if an air cap is original OEM , aftermarket from the period or remanufactured copy of either?
IS it worth it ?. Why does Brad or anyone have to go to such lengths to comply to the rules?
Why have something made up in 09 on the otherside of the world when you already have the same dimensioned part that you are copying in your hand ? Albeit from 1978 when the 78 part is already know to be an OEM part that was copied from a 77 aftermarket part?

Just questions Mate.

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 08:46:26 AM »
Hey Brad no trouble with the friendship here. But what I did notice in the photo's of measuring the rear travel is. Your getting a bit thin in the hair department ;D. Darcy #674
 P.s Took the Hodaka out for it's first race on the week-end. All went well with it :)
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Sun Prarie Jimmy

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 09:20:21 AM »
I want to know how Maicostu came to his conclusion that Brads AW was illegal at the Nationals. It'd elighten us all. For the record I looked at the bike with a coupole of tribal elders ;) who had heard a rumor that a protest was in the wind and going by the dirt line on the forks the travel looked to be within 9''. I can't say that we looked at the rear end but the front was OK by the 3 of us looking at it. The Husky from WA was far more interesting for us anyway.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 09:50:59 AM »
i owned that bike first and when i bought it paul stacker pointed out from the pics of the bike that it had the wrong forks in it  ,when i said this to the owner ,he said that he had a original set somewhere and if i wait he would get them bottoms bead blasted and put them together and then send the bike to me .
it origianaly had 79 forks
ok i said and the bike turned up
un beknown to me he didnt change the later mode fork legs only the sliders
so 78/79 fork leg have air cap and 77 have the old style grub screw spring and ball
so im led to believe that later fork legs have longer travel
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:17:57 PM by PAUL »