Author Topic: The pre-78 solo protest.  (Read 20564 times)

Re: The pre-78 solo protest.
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2009, 09:26:49 pm »
Perhaps i have missed something in translation.
If i get what you have written, you have measured shock absorber stroke, which is different to suspension travel.
If you look at the pics you can see that i took one shock off and the spring off the other. I could have measured shock travel without pulling it apart.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2009, 09:29:45 pm »
Could you get them YSS shocks in 77 ???  Compared to standard maico 77 shocks, Are they adjustable from the outside or anything alike that would gain you an advantage? Just asking for relevance to era of machine, as era is so important?

You seem to ask the same questions by making the point that shocks are new etc. You should know by now as it has been said so many times on this forum that new shocks are legal to use. Same as pro taper bars , same as brand new pipes and mufflers, same as rims, same as spokes...............
And yes new shocks are an advantage BUT LEGAL!!!
Thats all i asked, i am all for having better suspension, as if it eliminates a risk of injury... Fuggin great!!!
 I do remember you talking about "era" in another humerous thread so much, so i had it in my head that your bikes would be all in standard looking trim.

Mate, let it go.

Shocks can be changed, provided the travel is within the class limits. You know it, Brad knows it, I know it, the whole fikken world knows it - using it to score points against someone is just tedious.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2009, 09:33:06 pm »
thats my old maico and im preety sure it has stock 77 front fork because when i bought it it had the wrong forks in it and i got them changed to 77 S

Read any DB or MXA from 77 - maicos have more than 9" travel that year.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2009, 09:36:39 pm »
thats my old maico and im preety sure it has stock 77 front fork because when i bought it it had the wrong forks in it and i got them changed to 77 S

just checked the parts book yep there 77,s

Thats looks sweet paul, there is one in dads shed the same, cant wait to see it all together
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2009, 09:54:21 pm »
Obviously lost in translation :-[
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

firko

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2009, 09:59:59 pm »
I was going to put a photo of a 450 Husky that was so wrong it shouted "protest me!!!" to all and sundry but in the interest of fairness I'm leaving it alone. The character assasinations here are making me ill. Calling people cheats and sprouting correctness to all is a glass house thing, it's all well to raise hypotheticals but the personal slags are wrong.. I've been a scrutineer for zonks and could have picked many more bikes than you blokes have picked out but what's the end result going to be? All you are doing is belittling the hardworking eligibility steward at the Nats, by assuming he missed all of these alleged ilegal bikes. He's a good man who according to you braniacs is expected to know everything about every bike.

If you blokes are so riteous about Brads bike why not protest him on the day rather than attack him on a forking forum? The bloke who protested the RMs is a good bloke with a good legal bike and is embarrassed to accept the trophy for his class that he now has by default. He knows quite well he was beaten fairly but he made his stance on principal. Good on you Kane for copping it on the chin. Not a lot of others would have been so cool about it. I've been protested myself and it's hard to take but in the end I accept the wrongs on those bikes, fixed them and moved on.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:02:00 pm by firko »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2009, 10:06:24 pm »
... The character assasinations here are making me ill. Calling people cheats and sprouting correctness to all is a glass house thing, it's all well to raise hypotheticals but the personal slags are wrong.. I've been a scrutineer for zonks and could have picked many more bikes than you blokes have picked out but what's the end result going to be? All you are doing is belittling the hardworking eligibility steward at the Nats, by assuming he missed all of these alleged ilegal bikes. He's a good man who according to you braniacs is expected to know everything about every bike.

If you blokes are so riteous about Brads bike why not protest him on the day rather than attack him on a forking forum? The bloke who protested the RMs is a good bloke with a good legal bike and is embarrassed to accept the trophy for his class that he now has by default. He knows quite well he was beaten fairly but he made his stance on principal. Good on you Kane for copping it on the chin. Not a lot of others would have been so cool about it. I've been protested myself and it's hard to take but in the end I accept the wrongs on those bikes, fixed them and moved on.

Best post of the thread.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2009, 10:10:07 pm »
I think that the hypocrisy of the whole thing is the point.
No one protested ,Brad , Belly, Burty etc etc but on eguy with rubber mounted handle bars and apparently a 3mm different offset in his fork triples was .Wheteher 3 mm less offset was better suited to that track or not is up to personal opinion.
Disguising (why a B model tank?) bikes is a different story than a set off swept back rubber handlebar mounts.
As AJ already correctly docoed the forks are the same save spring rates etc.
Trivial?

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2009, 10:22:17 pm »
Nathan , Brad doesnt get that his bike has more than 9" of travel ( he certainly doesnt know to measure it )This is what your thread is all about . He had an illilegal bike so he shouldnt be saying about the 125 because they in the same boat.
Brad do you understand
1977 in stock trim is illegal
You have more than 9" of travel
You needed to put limiters in the front and back

maico stu

You are wearing thin with the accusations and personal attacks. Be constructive eh? My bike is not in standard trim as it has aftermarket shocks on the back. If there is an issue with my bike i want to fix it. I have a few photos of me measuring it but i am having issues loading them up. I have one of the bike fully compressed and its at least 80mm off the rear guard. That 80mm of suspension i dont have.Measuring centre of axle to point on the frame i made my measurements. I went down just now and double checked that i am doing it right and i am.I measured the forks by simply measuring under the bottom triple to the seal wiper. It measures 235mm which converts to 9.25 inches. That is the MOST it could be. I wasn't prepared to pull the forks apart as i haven't even washed it yet.

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2009, 10:36:20 pm »

As you can see in photos the way i have been measuring. I am confident i am doing it right. Same point on the axle and frame.
I will be checking the front properly when i clean it and start prepping for the next event.

firko

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2009, 10:39:10 pm »
For what it's worth I had a good look at Brad van Barellos AW Maico and I reckon it's 100% legal. It's very unfair to sprout accusations on a public forum without proof to back you up.  Can we move on and talk about the 99%of the bikes that were Kosher?

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2009, 11:10:56 pm »
who cares

Offline FDR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2009, 11:14:12 pm »
I competed at the titles and had a super time, unfortunately the pre 78 125 protest soured the finish to the event for me.
All bikes were checked for safety and unfortunately not for eligability,  all bikes should have been checked by the officials during scruiteneering process.
Seeing pre 75 husky,s with thor alloy swingarms get through scruteneering was a shock to me.
Suspect bikes could have been checked then rider given the option to risk being protested or move up a class, say pre 78 to evo
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:15:44 pm by pigmy »

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2009, 11:30:04 pm »
At what point does pre78 not mean pre78 ? ?

If someone protests a bike, it will either pass the test or fail. The 'Protester' isnt the judge, he is just voicing his concerns over the legitimacy of a bike. Then its up to the the appropiate people/judges/committee to up-hold or decline the protest. If the bike doesnt pass then the "Protester" was right in doing what he did. Some of you need to take your personal feeling out of the equation and also read the rules..  At what point dont you understand ? ?

Why are people commenting on other bikes that didnt get protested "on the day" when the appropiate time and facilities were available ? ?   Havnt they got the balls to do it ? ?

It seems strange to bring it up now for the world to see ? ?
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2009, 11:49:26 pm »
Spot on, DJ!  ;)