Author Topic: The pre-78 solo protest.  (Read 20557 times)

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The pre-78 solo protest.
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2009, 05:11:52 pm »
This "Trophy Hunting" phrase being used in a derogatory way is a cheap shot. Do you think Bell, Ballard, Bert et al turned up at the Nats to run a fine fifth?. Pigs A....  Some riders put in the effort required to run at the pointy end, some just like to race for 10th or some just to have a ride,BUT why single out the guys who have a chance at a podium.Tall Poppy stuff if you ask me.
On another topic- I spoke to a guy who was running at or near the front in pre-75 and pre-78 125. His bikes looked pretty similar except for a couple of inches of travel.(74 & 77 CR). He said that the difference between them was huge due to those extra couple of inches of travel.
To ridicule a guy for protesting is BS . So, for example, would the protester be" OK" with his detractors if his subject had 11in's of travel instead of 10in's. Personally I think it has to be " an inch is as good as a mile" or where will it stop.It would very soon degenerate into a free for all where the rule book is out the window. If the protest is upheld whos fault is that? Not the guy who lodged it, that is for sure.

DR

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2009, 05:41:51 pm »
I haven't bothered posting in this topic as I knew exactly the direction it would head even though in the opening post it stated

This thread is not intended to be a mud-slinging match!

why don't we all just stick to the rules and live happilly ever after! This in house fighting is more than half the reason I've never had time for clubs and official events..he did she did he said she said they said I said, I couldn't care less or give a rats arse when all I'm out to do is have some enjoyment in the years I have left. This type of petty whining stuff is not my idea of fun and rifts will emerge from it guarantee'd!

If the rules were broken then they were broken so why argue! Bottomline, it is the owner/rider responsibilty to make sure everything conforms if he/she wishes to enter into a titles event where people do take things a little more seriously. It was a great event and the positives far out weighed the negatives so why dwell on the latter!

All Things 414

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2009, 06:21:54 pm »
I think the whole meeting's results should be null and ran again this Sunday at Barrabool.... :D
(You'll have to fight out the Pre 75 stuff the following week at Shepparton)

though that was closing ?  or are you sponsoring there big WALL with a monty sell off ?
Mate. They only need one million, not six....... 8)

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2009, 06:34:36 pm »
For the sake of interest, I went back and read a test of the RM125C and the differences between it and the B with regard to the front end assembly.

The changes made in the front end assembly were supposedly as follows:

• Triple Clamps had 3mm reduced offset to improve steering
  • Different Spring rates, to allow a lower air pressure to be run
  • Rubber mounted bars, which were rearset compared to the B model

Fork travel and front wheel assembly were unchanged.

Clearly, the fact that the C model front end installed on a B model would result in steering geometry changes to the bike, makes this a potential performance modification, even if the rider involved may not even have known that was indeed a consequence of fitting an RM125C front end to a B.  Why else would Suzuki have done it in 1978?

I think the bottom line though in this whole affair is that the Vintage Nationals are just that - for Vintage bikes in their respective eras.  Also, being National titles, there should be an increased scrutiny of the correctness of the bikes in respect to their era class.  In other words, what might be deemed OK at a club round may not necessarily be OK at the Nationals.

So on the face of it, the protest was totally "in the spirit" of the competition and of course the decision reflects that.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2009, 06:55:57 pm »
the bottom line is the forks /triples were off a 78 model and are different to the 77 items which is not allowed, end of story.The protestor was only doing the right thing, well done on him for having the balls to do it. If the rules are not enforced then whats the point? Its is unfair on all the people who do make the effort to follow the rules.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:59:16 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2009, 07:11:35 pm »
it does not matter to me what is discussed here. i wont allow a rift to occur with me cause racing vmx is SO MUCH BLOODY GOOD FUN!

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2009, 07:32:26 pm »
Hey Brad , Did you have restrictors in your aw?
If it's such a bother to you Stu, why didn't you protest Brad?
Restrictors or not, Brad still would have won the class.

Its The same as why didnt they all protest about the 81 490 maico riding in pre85 or evo last year at the nats ??? If it was such a bother, why didnt they protest then?  Saying Brad would of won anyway with or without the restrictors... As Shaun would of won on on a 74.5 maico in evo or pre85. Its beside the whole point of being legal.
Maico's, the only way to go.

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2009, 07:48:18 pm »
Hey Brad , Did you have restrictors in your aw????????????????
Dont think so??????????????????????????
I checked
Get off your high horse

Maico stu

Please elaborate? I am assuming you mean my rear shocks are not legal?
I would like a reply thanks Stu so this can be sorted .

maicostu

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2009, 08:06:43 pm »
Hey Brad,
Pre 78 Classes Eligibility:
Under the GCR's rule 18.7.7.1 a) Regardless of original specification no motorcycle may have more than 229mm (9") of suspension travel at the front & rear wheels.

You raced a 1977 Maico 400 (which I loved) but unfortunately under the Pre78 rules your suspension front & back is more than 9" in stock trim.

Technically your bike is illegal in stock trim and the only difference between you and the 125 is that he got "protested".

Are you going to hand your Trophy back? You won it fair and square because you were miles in front of the other guys however the rule still applies.

Maybe you should check in, your own backyard before being so critical of others.  Nothing personal brad but these are my feelings.

Maico Stu

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2009, 08:31:08 pm »
Okay. After you posted the fact that that i have a bike with illegal suspension, i took the time to measure the rear shocks for wheel travel.
I measured fully extended and dropped it off the stand and measured again. Measurements were 465mm extended and 290mm compressed on the bike. The difference is 175mm which converts to 6.889 inches.
I never measured the front but safe to say the bike looks correct between front and back so if the front was wrong it would look like a chopper.

Am i still missing something?

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2009, 09:02:34 pm »
Could you get them YSS shocks in 77 ???  Compared to standard maico 77 shocks, Are they adjustable from the outside or anything alike that would gain you an advantage? Just asking for relevance to era of machine, as era is so important?

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2009, 09:04:01 pm »
Perhaps i have missed something in translation.
If i get what you have written, you have measured shock absorber stroke, which is different to suspension travel.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2009, 09:10:53 pm »
Could you get them YSS shocks in 77 ???  Compared to standard maico 77 shocks, Are they adjustable from the outside or anything alike that would gain you an advantage? Just asking for relevance to era of machine, as era is so important?

You seem to ask the same questions by making the point that shocks are new etc. You should know by now as it has been said so many times on this forum that new shocks are legal to use. Same as pro taper bars , same as brand new pipes and mufflers, same as rims, same as spokes...............
And yes new shocks are an advantage BUT LEGAL!!!

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2009, 09:14:35 pm »
Perhaps i have missed something in translation.
If i get what you have written, you have measured shock absorber stroke, which is different to suspension travel.
Ithink he measured without compressing the bump stop . 175mm is about what 75 maicos had ,77 had 240mm.front an back

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2009, 09:22:22 pm »

You seem to ask the same questions by making the point that shocks are new etc. You should know by now as it has been said so many times on this forum that new shocks are legal to use. Same as pro taper bars , same as brand new pipes and mufflers, same as rims, same as spokes...............
And yes new shocks are an advantage BUT LEGAL!!!
Thats all i asked, i am all for having better suspension, as if it eliminates a risk of injury... Fuggin great!!!
 I do remember you talking about "era" in another humerous thread so much, so i had it in my head that your bikes would be all in standard looking trim.