Author Topic: Pre 90 VMX  (Read 46109 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 90 VMX
« Reply #240 on: August 04, 2009, 07:00:42 pm »
You can tell my mate Webbo that he should build another $20.000 HL500
Holy Moly  :o! That must either be one hell of an HL or did he pay to have it built?  20K is a lot of money.

Love to see a photo if anyone has one. I would be frightened to add up what mine owes but it is not 20K.....hope he got Fox Forx, Ohlins and all the goodies for that kind of loot.
formerly Marc.com

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 04, 2009, 07:17:57 pm »
You can tell my mate Webbo that he should build another $20.000 HL500
Holy Moly  :o! That must either be one hell of an HL or did he pay to have it built?  20K is a lot of money.

Love to see a photo if anyone has one. I would be frightened to add up what mine owes but it is not 20K.....hope he got Fox Forx, Ohlins and all the goodies for that kind of loot.
Yes brand new custom built ohlins to original HL specs.Not FOX , he had works Yamaha but I think hes running yz465's now.Its sweet anyway's.I posted some action shots from Barrabool on OZVMX and there is plenty of VIPER too.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2009, 09:18:44 pm »
Well here's a buck saw if ever a need be...

RIGHT NOW, I begin my lobbying for a pre 2000 class!

Its taken so long to get a pre 90 class to almost get going in NSW, I figure that by bringing this Pre 2000 era arguments forward that eventually it will be the worst of two evils (get it, "evil") and pre 90 will be OK.

Warmest regards,
Rudy

The pre 90 class is great to watch, the bikes look great too. I think of dave thorpe, Kurt nicholl, Jeff Stanton,Rick Johnson,Larry Ward, Mike Kedrowski, Eddie Warren, and Jeff Leisk everytime they blast off the line..What an ERA.. Ah the big bore 2 strokes... 8)
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2009, 09:33:59 pm »

Its taken so long to get a pre 90 class to almost get going in NSW, I figure that by bringing this Pre 2000 era arguments forward that eventually it will be the worst of two evils (get it, "evil") and pre 90 will be OK.

Warmest regards,
Rudy
[/quote]
HERE HERE FOR THE PREVIOUS POST COMMENTS.
Yer Rudy I have been thinking about whats going to happen down the track if there's ever a pre 2000.I have a 99YZ 250 2 STK and I suppose for sure there will be a 2 stroke only class by then as they already have started.So therefore some ones probably going to protest if I try to ride my old technology 2 stk againt the new technology 4 stk's and wont let me ride in pre 2000 .
I also thought about why these people dont protest all the BSA 4 stk's racing against the new tech 360CZ's in the pre 70 class .
Getting back to pre 2000 they changed the constitution to never allow pre 90 racing in HEAVEN at least so there sno chance for pre 2000

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 05, 2009, 08:58:35 am »
upgrade his Evo bike to pre-85 specs
thats just it, im not really upgrading my 82 model pre 85 specs anyway. It will be built with parts available in 82 and since theres no rules on what shocks you can have in EVO and flatslide carbs are allowed i could enter either class if i wanted, its just that i would prefer to be in pre 85 because the parts on my 82 fit that period better for me in a personal/historical view, but yes i could enter EVO and have an advantage against some of the older EVO bikes, but i dont want to do that. What would be good is a 80-84 model twinshock class but i guess there would never be enough bikes to run a class like that, so thats why i wouldnt mind having to compete against 80-84 single shockers.

VMX is about ERA racing/ riding
Yes thats exactly right so why should late model twinshock bikes be made to compete against the older last of the 1970's bikes? Its doesnt make sense to me having a 1984 twinshock against a 1978.
ok i will shut up now :)
The ERA SUDDENLY TURNED IRRELEVANT FOR 090(Brad)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:58:23 am by motomaniac »

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 05, 2009, 09:49:18 am »

Warmest regards,
Rudy

The pre 90 class is great to watch, the bikes look great too. I think of dave thorpe, Kurt nicholl, Jeff Stanton,Rick Johnson,Larry Ward, Mike Kedrowski, Eddie Warren, and Jeff Leisk everytime they blast off the line..What an ERA.. Ah the big bore 2 strokes... 8)

Pre 90 should focus on all that crazy 80s gear.  Apico, Dainese, RS Taichi, M.Robert, Axo, Clover... the list goes on.  Way more interesting than the sea of Fox & Thor that we see now.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 05, 2009, 10:00:45 am »

Warmest regards,
Rudy

Pre 90 should focus on all that crazy 80s gear.  Apico, Dainese, RS Taichi, M.Robert, Axo, Clover... the list goes on.  Way more interesting than the sea of Fox & Thor that we see now.
So true.I try to keep my riding gear period as well.Dont forget Leiskie's Chambers gear in Europe

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 05, 2009, 10:13:32 am »

Warmest regards,
Rudy

So true.I try to keep my riding gear period as well.Dont forget Leiskie's Chambers gear in Europe

Chambers wasn't a brand of gear.  He was wearing Apico those years

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 05, 2009, 10:19:35 am »
Okay yer Chambers was his sponsor but looked cool .Wonder if he still has any of it?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 05, 2009, 02:42:51 pm »

Yes brand new custom built ohlins to original HL specs.Not FOX , he had works Yamaha but I think hes running yz465's now.Its sweet anyway's.I posted some action shots from Barrabool on OZVMX and there is plenty of VIPER too.
[/quote]

Is that the HL #24 with the hand carved sidecovers and the black rims. ???
formerly Marc.com

« Reply #250 on: August 05, 2009, 06:45:48 pm »
upgrade his Evo bike to pre-85 specs
thats just it, im not really upgrading my 82 model pre 85 specs anyway. It will be built with parts available in 82 and since theres no rules on what shocks you can have in EVO and flatslide carbs are allowed i could enter either class if i wanted, its just that i would prefer to be in pre 85 because the parts on my 82 fit that period better for me in a personal/historical view, but yes i could enter EVO and have an advantage against some of the older EVO bikes, but i dont want to do that. What would be good is a 80-84 model twinshock class but i guess there would never be enough bikes to run a class like that, so thats why i wouldnt mind having to compete against 80-84 single shockers.

Yes thats exactly right so why should late model twinshock bikes be made to compete against the older last of the 1970's bikes? Its doesnt make sense to me having a 1984 twinshock against a 1978.

Im a bit over this thread but can you please explain this post as i do not understand it. I haven't changed my idea of what vmx is about.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 05, 2009, 07:34:46 pm »
i would prefer to be in pre 85 because the parts on my 82 fit that period better for me in a personal/historical view, but yes i could enter EVO and have an advantage against some of the older EVO bikes, but i dont want to do that. What would be good is a 80-84 model twinshock class but i guess there would never be enough bikes to run a class like that, so thats why i wouldnt mind having to compete against 80-84 single shockers.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Im a bit over this thread but can you please explain this post as i do not understand it. I haven't changed my idea of what vmx is about.
[/quote]
Well I meant that you called all my reference's to the period irrelevant.I love this scene because I am reliving my youth through it.It brings back alot of great memories.I was refering to the ERA as a great period of transition, old school euro bike and new school jap bikes.I think you were refering to the era of the single shock. ie the new era.It started in 80 with Kawi's and finished when Huskie's finally went single shock in 85.The issue is how to handle the bikes from that 5 year period.I can see that for you pre 85 is the start of the new single shock era and evo the end of the old twin shock era .Whether these two types of bikes should race together or not is a matter of opinion.
It seems to me that pre 85 racing started in Vic and Qld under different circumstances and for differnet reasons.Like GMC already said.Thats how we have arrived at our different points of view.
I'm burying the hatchet - no point in too much bad blood.
Have a good NATS weekend.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 05, 2009, 07:53:01 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]
Well I meant that you called all my reference's to the period irrelevant.I love this scene because I am reliving my youth through it.It brings back alot of great memories.I was refering to the ERA as a great period of transition, old school euro bike and new school jap bikes.I think you were refering to the era of the single shock. ie the new era.It started in 80 with Kawi's and finished when Huskie's finally went single shock in 85.The issue is how to handle the bikes from that 5 year period.I can see that for you pre 85 is the start of the new single shock era and evo the end of the old twin shock era .Whether these two types of bikes should race together or not is a matter of opinion.
It seems to me that pre 85 racing started in Vic and Qld under different circumstances and for differnet reasons.Like GMC already said.Thats how we have arrived at our different points of view.
I'm burying the hatchet - no point in too much bad blood.
Have a good NATS weekend.
[/quote]

Couldn't be any more clearer than that... 8)
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 05, 2009, 10:31:55 pm »
GET OFF HERE BRAD. ;D :D ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

« Reply #254 on: August 05, 2009, 10:33:10 pm »