Author Topic: Pre 90 VMX  (Read 46101 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 90 VMX
« Reply #225 on: August 03, 2009, 11:12:13 pm »
Moto you can't compare Gally in '81 to VMX it's not relevant.
Anyway his 465 was as good as anything on the track, RM465, CR450, KX420, 490 Maico, 430 Husky..

Johnny O why not?Its just one example of an EVO type bike in the pre 85 era against linkaged bikes.
I could have said Darryl Willoughby or Peter Benson or a shit load of Euro rides or US riders.I could have said Carla's 3rd in the GP's against the Honda and Kawis.Or some local c grader.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 03, 2009, 11:18:25 pm »
Well done motomaineac u just got webbo beaten up only 12 more vics to go.There is still a spear seat if u want to come.

Not a chance ,the vics can handle themselves .Especially with you Webbo and Big Shane in the front line.
Sorry Mate I'm half way through a roof redo and Im waiting for the call to start the side when the slaters have stripped it.
Good luck and have fun. Try and get to at least Moree on the first day.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 03, 2009, 11:33:19 pm »
Yeah Motomaniac but you're comparing one of the latest Evo bikes against the first of the pre 85 era bikes and that's always going to be a fair match.
The latest pre 85 bikes are way better than the 81's.
If you're comparing era's you should compare a '81 YZ465 against an '84 CR500 and that is not an even match.
The 2 classes are distinctavely different and both have a place in VMX.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 03, 2009, 11:55:09 pm »
Yeah Motomaniac but you're comparing one of the latest Evo bikes against the first of the pre 85 era bikes and that's always going to be a fair match.
The latest pre 85 bikes are way better than the 81's.
If you're comparing era's you should compare a '81 YZ465 against an '84 CR500 and that is not an even match.
The 2 classes are distinctavely different and both have a place in VMX.
No problem Johnny , I made referances like these because someone (can't remember who) said that a souped up evo bike could beat a pre 85 bikeand that they didnt want to see that but thats what often happened.One could also say that an evo bike at each end of the scale is not a fair match up either - a 78 rm400 against a yz465 or worse an 84 510 Husky.
Gary Jones won one of the first Vet champs in 84 or maybe 85 on a Huskie 510 against all the Jap bikes and Mickey Diamond was kickin arse on a 84 Huskie early 85.I think he got top 5 at the USGP 84 also.

I got no problem with GB on the 490 against Belly or whoever.Hope he kicks arse.

« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2009, 06:01:48 am »
Are you a younger bloke motomanic? It seems like you are with your posts. You keep throwing in such irrelevant stuff . What Gally did is not relevant . Someone that spends $20000 on a bike is not relevant. The amount you spend on a bike does not make it okay to ride moe classes/eras . The beauty of a HL  is it can run two. Its evo and 4 stroke. Also GB is riding two different bikes at the nats. He is playing by the rules, no prob.
This has been about blokes who have evo bikes that want a second bite of the cherry. There aren't any guys in other classes talking about running in another class to 'have more fun'. As far as i am concerned, there is only one guy that i can see thats not in it for fun, and thats the prick from WA. I will spit on him at the nats.
Isn't it also a fact that around '81 where you keep referring to legends that kicked arse back in the day against single shock bikes. Looking back we all know that the first single shocks weren't that good and wasn't a stretch for a twin shock to beat it. '81 certainly was a transition year and both mixed. Fast forward 28 years and as clear as your hand in front of you face, the vmx movement has made a twin shock class to keep the same bikes together. Then when it was pre 85's turn the single shock bikes get a turn to tear it up. I have said the same thing but explained it at least five different ways. The problem is that YOU want to take one bike and ride two classes. You wont take a pre 75, you will take an evo bike as there is a loop hole so you can justify it to YOURSELF.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2009, 08:51:42 am »
Wow, there's been a lot of chat about pre 90 in this thread in the last cupla daze.... ::)

Here's a thought for everyone... (seeing as off topic is the way to go...  :P)

I have always been at a loss to understand why racing clubs don't charge entry fees based on the number of classes a rider is competing in. 

It seems pretty simple to me - if you are riding three classes you pay three times what someone who is racing one class is paying because you are getting three times the track time.  That would be fair for all competitors and also great for the organising clubs.  ;)

Sun Prarie Jimmy

« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2009, 10:53:16 am »
What a crock this thread has turned to, it's too simple for me. One bike/one class. That's the way it's always been since the old days everywhere except in Mexico. I agree that its a bit rich to ask a battler to have more than one bike than he can afford but how many races does a bloke want to race on 1 day anyway? When I started racing vintage back then I had a 125,250 500 and a 4 stroke and had the crazy idea that I could race 12 races on the 1 day. In the end it came down to taking 2 bikes and then eventually 1 bike as I realized my fitness wasn't as good as I thought it was. I'm happy with 3 motos and the all in at the end of the day with a lot of in between bench racing.

Whats the scoop on that wacko Peter Lawson acting up? I can't wait to see what he has in store for us at Conandale. He acted like a doofus at Coffs Harbour pointing fingers at anything with 2 wheels that didnt pass his personal idea of whats right and wrong so combine him with another couple of noted serial pest protesters it should be brilliant to watch.  ::)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2009, 05:02:34 pm »
You can tell my mate Webbo that he should build another $20.000 HL500 if he wants to ride more than one class.If he doesn't want too just use plan B tell to by that $1000 yz on ebay .Yer he can ride the HL in one class and the YZ dunger in the other.That should satisfy his lust for racing.

If he can afford to spend $20k on an HL, then he can surely afford the $6k (or much, much less) on a decent pre-85 race bike - or a couple of year old modern! The question is whether he's most interested in racing, old bikes, or bling...

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kawasaki-KX125-1983-Vintage-MX-VMX_W0QQitemZ160353019650QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycles?hash=item2555c8e702&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2009, 05:21:54 pm »
You can tell my mate Webbo that he should build another $20.000 HL500
Holy Moly  :o! That must either be one hell of an HL or did he pay to have it built?  20K is a lot of money.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2009, 05:34:40 pm »
Can someone post a wanted dead or alive poster of this VMX Peter Mug..
 And someone video this guy getting addressed with some friendly fire.. ;)
I noticed a couple of referances from Magoo and 090 that money was an issue for you guys not being in tassie for the nats 08...
Sounds like the similar reason why i dont have a 2nd vmx bike thats meant to be so easily obtained and affordable...  ???
Cant wait to see the results of the nats, its exciting!

Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2009, 06:22:21 pm »
What a crock this thread has turned to, it's too simple for me. One bike/one class. That's the way it's always been since the old days everywhere except in Mexico. I agree that its a bit rich to ask a battler to have more than one bike than he can afford but how many races does a bloke want to race on 1 day anyway? When I started racing vintage back then I had a 125,250 500 and a 4 stroke and had the crazy idea that I could race 12 races on the 1 day. In the end it came down to taking 2 bikes and then eventually 1 bike as I realized my fitness wasn't as good as I thought it was. I'm happy with 3 motos and the all in at the end of the day with a lot of in between bench racing.

[/quote]Very compasionate Mate but I couldn't give a rats if a guys a battler or a fuggin millionare.Its no fuggin business of anyone else's how many bikes a bloke has or how he runs his life and spends his money.Are we still in the land of OZ?Why do I feel the Politburo is watching me.
But suppose every evo rider buys and maintains 2 evo bikes .What are the logistics of getting them to QLD across bass strait or from WA or VIC.Do you expect that everyone down here has room for 4 bikes on their trailer or Ute or whatever or do you expect everyone to travel up by themselves.Or one guy has to go with one bike.As  far as I understand each post 75 class gets one race per day - 3 laps.
How is this one bike /one class rule encouraging participation?and why isn't it applied to pre 75 ? What have you achieved when Geoff Ballard lines up in EVO on an old Maico and again in pre 85 on a different Maico.Its still GB riding an old Maico  and some folks won't even notice that its two different bikes.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2009, 06:30:48 pm »
You can tell my mate Webbo that he should build another $20.000 HL500
Holy Moly  :o! That must either be one hell of an HL or did he pay to have it built?  20K is a lot of money.
I was approximating but it would be close and yes he had it built.
McMuffins Mugen 360 (see OZVMX feature pic) cost around the same , maybe a bit more.Similar to some other 360's from down here -now gine.
I talked to Roy Gay about his 510 a while back and that was getting up there too.

firko

« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2009, 06:35:08 pm »
Roy Gay....now there's a name we haven't seen in a vintage race for a couple of years. Think what you like of him but you have to admit he can ride. The Evo class is going to be HOT :o

Evil Rudy

« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2009, 06:39:17 pm »
Well here's a buck saw if ever a need be...

RIGHT NOW, I begin my lobbying for a pre 2000 class!

Its taken so long to get a pre 90 class to almost get going in NSW, I figure that by bringing this Pre 2000 era arguments forward that eventually it will be the worst of two evils (get it, "evil") and pre 90 will be OK.

Warmest regards,
Rudy

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2009, 06:57:58 pm »
Roy Gay....now there's a name we haven't seen in a vintage race for a couple of years. Think what you like of him but you have to admit he can ride. The Evo class is going to be HOT :o
by getting up there I meant in build cost. Mc Muffin and his mugens are staying in Vic as I know.The EVO class will still be hot.