Author Topic: wearing a neck brace with pressure suit body armour  (Read 9073 times)

mainline

wearing a neck brace with pressure suit body armour
« on: July 26, 2009, 04:51:09 pm »
just picked up an evs neck brace and was wondering whether those of you who have them wear them with conventional body armour or the pressure suit style?

I've got a 661 pressure suit and I think it may be a bit of a hassle getting it and the neck brace on together.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 06:04:42 pm by mainline »

All Things 414

Re: wearing a neck brace with pressure suit body armour
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 06:19:28 pm »
I think if your preasure suit inflated with your neck brace on it might pop your head off your shoulders...... :o

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 06:27:47 pm »
I think if your preasure suit inflated with your neck brace on it might pop your head off your shoulders...... :o

:D :D...  i have see guys wearing normal body armour with them, i heard the pressure suit is a hassle with that brace. I have the alpinestars carbon fibre brace and have had the leatt version, and neither of them worked with my pressure suit. I decided to buy an evs under armour and some elbow guards( the alpinestars elbow guards feel good, even after 150k trail ride). I think that was the best solution, and it still works well with a camel back
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:30:30 pm »
Maniac,

Do you still have your AS brace and do you want to sell it

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 06:51:33 pm »
I use with conventional armour. It fits in quite well for me.
On a sad note, legend from the eighties Bryan Flemming had a serious accident last weekend. I was told by another forum member that he was practicing for an upcoming event at Coolum when he missed a gear on a jump on his crf, landing on his head basically. Looks like he is a quadriplegic. Bryan was at CD6 racing around quite fast on the cr250rz. If you haven't got a brace, this should be your wake up call.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:04:41 pm »
Maniac,

Do you still have your AS brace and do you want to sell it

Gday mate, i sold the leatt and kept the AS brace.. I was very lucky not to be in a wheel chair or a pine box from a crash while trail riding last year, so a brace is an absolute must in my eyes. I figure if they make something that eliminates some of the risk factor... use one.  Thats very sad to hear about the misfortunes of The rider mentioned above, fingers crossed things work out for him  :-\

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:23:20 pm »
Have you tried them on together champ ??  If you can get it to work I will be buying one of those as well.  A reasonable compromise I think.  certainly a lot better than what I've got at the moment.

Hopefully someone here can offer some good info

Give it a go.  Hilly was "breaking in" one of those at CD6.  It was giving him the shits at the start, but he seemed to be getting used to it by the end.

What you say Hilly  ???
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 07:58:23 pm »
I have a Dainese pressure suit and a Leatt brace and they "can" be made to work together. Yes it is a slight hassle, but so was wearing a helmet and gloves back in the day!
The back part of the Leatt I slide under the spine protector but above the netting and the front zipper only does up about 2/3rds of the way. I'm looking at stitching on a small velcro tab at the 2/3rds position to keep the zip in that possie, until Dainese releases the Leatt compatible version - and I can afford the trade up!
I've tried the Alpine Stars brace, but hated the feel of it (hard, scratchy foam around the neck opening).
Basically, the longer your neck, the more comfy the brace feels - "front row" types probably need to look at something else, but then again, they don't have a neck anyway! :P
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 08:09:39 pm »
I'm keen to hear how the EVS brace stacks up. I am thinking of buying one of those - I currently wear a neck collar but the brace is a much better option. I wear a Dainese body armour and I reckon the brace will fit under that just fine...

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 09:21:10 pm »
I have quite a few guys i ride with that wear the evs brace and i havent heard a complaint yet.. anything is better than nothing.
 I had the 661 pressure suit and the leatt brace didnt go well together for me personally. The pressure suits seem to differ a little, so does everyones body shape. If anyone is looking to get a brace, it would be worth trying all of them on with your armour of choice and see how you go. I loved the leatt, but prefered the alpinestar carbon brace after trying one.  Your right TEE BONE, the foam on the alpinstar is hard and wouldn't be good on skin, but i dont think any foam should be rubbing on your skin at any point?  I wear mine over the jersey like everyone else seems too and find it more comfortable and lighter than the leatt was. 

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 09:51:27 pm »
I wear the EVS with normal body armour (Acerbis), it only took 1 ride to get use to it .Wouldnt ride without it now, remember fellas, its not IF you fall off , its WHEN you fall off. Sad to hear about Flying Brian Flemming, I hope he recovers OK. John.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 09:14:03 am »
G`day i have sold a few EVS neck braces with no complants.will sell to forum members for 265.00 + post normally retail for 300.00 ph or pm robin 07 3821 6777

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 10:27:18 am »
G`day i have sold a few EVS neck braces with no complants.will sell to forum members for 265.00 + post normally retail for 300.00 ph or pm robin 07 3821 6777

there u go boys! couldnt be any easier... and cheaper!

CamP

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 01:49:11 pm »
I've been wearing a Leatt with a conventional chest protector. I found that the shoulder cups interfered with my ability to raise my hands over my head so I replaced them with leather straps and have been running this setup for the last 2 1/2 years. Now I have to find another yellow chest preotector that will work with 090's cool retro DG Suzuki Jerseys.

TM BILL

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 02:05:27 pm »
Just bought an EVS brace on the strengh of Davey Crockets post  :)I will try it out this weekend and report back  :)