Author Topic: wearing a neck brace with pressure suit body armour  (Read 9070 times)

firko

Re: wearing a neck brace with pressure suit body armour
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 03:58:04 pm »
On a sad note, legend from the eighties Bryan Flemming had a serious accident last weekend.
I haven't been following this post as I didn't think any of it related to me, an almost 60 year old semi retired fat guy who's never worn any protection except JT shoulder pads when I had to (dirt track regs). Something made me pop in here for a look and I'm shattered to read about 'Fleas' accident. He was the hottest rider at CD6, especially on Drunks Hill. I had a short chat to him and found him a nice bloke.

With the tragic death of vintage racer Tom Boyd in the USA last week as the result of spinal injuries sustained in a vintage race and now Bryans awful injuries, I'll now be having a good old rethink on wearing armour and neck protection. Even though I'm only going to have a few leisurely dirt track rides next season, the deck is equally as hard whether youre leading the race or coming last. I come from a generation of  old school racers, many of who find body armour a gen X thing, we didn't need armour back in the 70's so why do we need it now? I think Flea and poor Tom Boyd have now given a poignant answer to that question.

We're all a lot older, a lot less fit than during our wonder years and most of all, have people who love and depend on us to remain fit and able. As soon as I'm down to fighting weight I'm getting fitted for armour and a Leatts brace (or similar).

All Things 414

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 04:10:25 pm »
Danny "Magoo" Chandler can't tell enough people about them as well.

When I hurt my neck it wasn't from a high speed 'get-off'. Just laid the front end down, my head went into a rut and my body kept going.......
Got to try a Leatt brace a few years ago when I met a guy at Bacchus Marsh who had just had the hospital brace removed from his head (you could see where they'd drilled his skull) and he was wishing to hell he'd had one on when he went down. He nearly begged me to try a few laps with the brace and after about five laps I forgot I had it on.
Been wearing a Leatt ever since wouldn't click a bike into gear without one on now.....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:12:41 pm by All Things 414 »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 07:10:25 pm »
Hey Firko Bryan Flemming and 'Flea' are 2 different people, i think Flea was an enduro rider. It is very sad about Bryan, such a good rider and nice guy. He was pumped about racing the Nats and had just built 2 bikes and was out practicing when he was hurt. We can only hope that with his positive attitude and determination that he recovers from this injury.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 09:04:42 pm »
Just bought an EVS brace on the strengh of Davey Crockets post  :)I will try it out this weekend and report back  :)

...and I just bought a Leatt Adventure brace.

I put the wind up myself when I pulled the muscles at the top of my neck last year (same crash that broke my leg) - I've never been a 'balls-to-the-wall, she'll be right rider', but it has slowed me down. If nothing else, I hope that the Leatt will be clip-on courage for the meek.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Rosco400

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 09:10:47 pm »
whats the difference between the adventurer and club Leatts, they only seem to make a medium as well, will these fit say a larger bloke

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 09:17:46 pm »
Differences? A bit of weight and the more expensive ones are rebuildable (you can buy and replace parts).

Word is that safety is absolutely identical - they both felt as stiff as one-another, and I couldn't pick any dimesnional or structural differences.

Adventure is also grey, rather than the better looking (IMHO) black.

I figured that if I bust my Adventure, then its probably saved me from something a lot worse than having to throw away a non-servicable $500 neck brace - so I kept the extra $300 in my pocket.

Medium fits me. I actually need to space it in a bit so that its less loose (front to back) on my chest.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 09:21:33 pm »
You can buy replacement parts for the club but not for the adventure i have been told and the club has a bit more adjustability. The medium is the adult brace there is no large.
I went out and bought a Leatt club last week after the injuries i've seen lately.

CamP

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 01:30:43 am »
I have both the Club and Adventure model Leatt's. The only difference is the Club has adjustable front and rear table heights. This adjustment only comes into play if you have a very short neck or are very tall, over 6'-2", which sometimes causes the tall rider's helmet to bump the rear table while riding standing up and bent over in the attack position. 90% of the people that fit in a Club will fit in the Adventure so there really isn't reason to spend the extra money if you don't have to.

I'm not a big fan of the EVS race collar. It is better than nothing  but it is very flimsy when compared to the Leatt and now that the Leatt Adventure is available, there is no real cost advantage. Vitually no riders here in the states are using the EVS. 99% are running a Leatt. The Aplinestars brace is nice but the very high price tag means you rarely see anyone using it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:32:14 am by CamP »

firko

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 07:51:17 am »
Hey Firko Bryan Flemming and 'Flea' are 2 different people, i think Flea was an enduro rider
Sorry I got confused...It was Bryan I was talking to and it's no less a tragedy. Yesterday I tried a young relatives Leatt Club brace to see how it feels and it's not as intrusive as I thought it'd be. Of course I haven't ridden with one yet but my mind's made up. I won't race without one.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 09:03:53 am »
If any one wants to look at the evs neck brace i will have one to show + other bits and will have spares  ie levers,handle bars tubes plugs

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 03:52:08 pm »
meant to add will have at the nats

Evil Rudy

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 06:49:22 pm »
Rossco, me old evil acountant mate...

I have a medium Leatt and you have seen the stump of flesh I call a neck I've been sporting so you'll be right for size. They even send you XXL hinges for free if you ask nice and pay the postage. In the end I didnt need them, the largest hinges that came with the brace were fine.

After 15 minutes of riding I have never given it a second thought. It fit easily under my AXO and Acerbis armour - after you fiigure out the drill getting it all on in order so you dont choke yourself.

... at 84 cents on the dollar its a good time to spend the money.

Warmest regards,
Evil Rudy

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 07:23:08 pm »
Back on subject the Leatt will fit most pressure suits that have the articulated back.  It just slides in nicely under the top plate.

Offline AJ

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 09:05:48 pm »
I had the slowest crash I can remember.

Moving down a rock face at a walking pace on my modern, my front wheel slipped off into a gully & I speared head first into a rock wall.

I stirred up a spinal fracture I didn't even know I had.

That was a year ago & my back just now feels good enough to get back into it.

I have bought a 661 pressure suit but need a suitable neck brace.

Wear all the protective gear you can afford.

I wish I still had my overalls from back in the day. Never got a scratch wearing them.

AJ

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 09:51:57 pm »
I got a EVS brace for CD6 and after a bit of setup ,there is adjusting wedges in the Neck roll . I'm happy with the support .I use a fieldsheer body suit ,its got a big  spine protector  . If you fit the EVS first and body suit over it . It fits well the problem is getting a jersey on over the neck . I'm going to put a short zip in one . But i'm happy with it
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436