Author Topic: Anyone identify this old beast?  (Read 18545 times)

Offline PERM250

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone identify this old beast?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 11:14:01 pm »
may be hillbilly??

Offline facthunt

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 12:40:19 am »
The "Kwaka" looks to be an early Taiwanese contribution to cheap motorcycling.
Daytona or Eastern Star 100cc.

firko

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 09:58:16 am »
dunno  come on Firko, spill the beans
Jeez Doc....I haven't got a clue. I thought it was a Suzuki 80 and figured it'd be a bit of fun to build a Peter Gaunt "Replica" out of it as a cool pitbike. It just goes to show that if you take the tank badge off some of these early little tiddlers they all look the same ;D.
  Below is a brief history of the Suzuki Trials bikes from Jeff Clew's Book "Suzuki", published by Haynes.

Although factory interest in trials events did not occur until the early 1970's, there had been a number of limited production Suzuki powered trials machines available in Britain very much earlier. One of the first pioneers was Peter Gaunt, a Yorkshireman who, in co-operation with Suzuki Great Britain, produced a number of trials versions of the 80cc "K11" lightweight model. Having a ground clearance of no less than 8 inches and weighing only 168lbs, the Gaunt Suzuki showed great promise, despite the small engine capacity. It was at this time that the two-stroke was starting to make a serious bid for the major awards in trials-type events which previously had been more or less dominated by the much heavier four-stroke singles. Gaunt was not alone in this approach either. Another was Bob Collier, who geared down his 50cc Suzuki for use in sporting trials. His approach was to add an additional two or three-speed gearbox in behind the existing four-speed unit so that it would provide the same effect as that of making up a very special 12-speed gear cluster, a somewhat daunting task.

It had been his intention to enter his lightweight special in the 1964 Scottish Six Days Trial, using the ultra-low gearing to compensate for the lack of power from such a small engine, and start he did. Unfortunately he had to retire on the second day, when his tiny machine was quite literally drowned in the heavy floods that were characteristic of that year's event. But his machine was later tested by Roger Maughling for Motorcycle Sport, himself no lightweight. He rode the machine in a trial organised by his local Knighton Club and his comments afterwards made interesting reading. He completed the course too, after many others had fallen by the wayside Even so, he was amazed by the 112:1 bottom gear, which gave a road speed of about 3mph at peak revs. No wonder there was hardly a hill the machine would not climb, provided it could be kept upright.

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 09:26:30 am »
its a bridgstone 90 we destroyed one in high school kickin myself

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 10:42:41 pm »
Sure looks like Bridgestone 90 tank :-\

DR

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 08:01:19 am »
I'd near lay money on it being a Kawasaki (or a 100% direct copy) The top triple clamp is very much typical of the early kawa (bridgestones used cast alloy clamps) the frame and tank to me look G1M and the engine a C2SS 120cc. Check the lower egde of the cylinder for the old Kawasaki Heavy Industries logo or 115cc stamp like this

Kawa G1 90cc

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 12:33:08 pm »

My guess is Facthunt nailed it.

Taiwanese copy of a Kaw

ID # is quite un-kawasaki like

MURN

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 09:34:56 pm »

Correct a Daytona (Taiwan)125 Road bike imported and sold by car racer Bob Jane in 1972.Engine is Kawa c2 120 copy. I have a one in the shed (rust never sleeps).   

DR

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 06:59:54 am »
ah ha! mystery solved..onya MURN ;D I knew the engine was a 120 C2S engine or a direct copy but the frame I was so confused (spoken like Vinnie Barbarino) pieces of crud I guess but the 120 Roadrunner while looking a bit spindly wouldn't be a bad thing from the look of it..for pre '70 that is ;)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 08:16:07 am »
the 120 Roadrunner while looking a bit spindly wouldn't be a bad thing from the look of it..for pre '70 that is ;)

Agreed Doc.  C2SS actually looks a good deal like a scaled down F21M. They were very light & could be made to boogie, but no pre70 125 class. Still would be a lot of fun in 250 class. I'd have one if I could find one.

DR

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 12:19:43 pm »
John, here ya go, I can tellya if I had some spare cash I'd swoop on the little beasty below. They appeal to me even more than that kitted yellow TS90 that was recently sold up Beerwah way on ebay and moreso than any Suzuki equivalents of the era being the TC120 cat and K15 which are both based around  non conventional smaller chassis' ;)

http://auction.netbikes.com.au/item.php?id=5074

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 01:31:40 pm »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 01:53:44 pm »

Correct a Daytona (Taiwan)125 Road bike imported and sold by car racer Bob Jane in 1972.Engine is Kawa c2 120 copy. I have a one in the shed (rust never sleeps).   

Well there you go! It's finally been put to rest, thanks Murn! Wonder what he'll do with it now?

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 03:10:03 pm »
While on the subject, which we weren't, but are now- does anyone know the where-abouts of a Honda CL50 of similar vitage to those above ? as I had one as my first traily/off roader and would love to find another for resto.
My first ride was a Triump Tigeress- looks like a pommy Vespa with a twin 150cc 4stroke.What a shitter, but I would love to have one now!!

DR

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 03:55:17 pm »
would it have been a C50 EML, can't say I've heard of a CL50. (not saying they don't exist cause they probably do!) Could have also been a CL90 which was more a real bike size and not a steppie like the C50. Funny, mates and myself had all these bikes and more including HT90's, Kawa 90's, TS90's, CT & CL90's even Decksons and near all the other shitters of the era but only now 35 years after the fact I'm beginning to feel any sort of sentiment toward them ;)