Author Topic: Anyone identify this old beast?  (Read 18542 times)

firko

Re: Anyone identify this old beast?
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2010, 03:08:43 pm »
Actually have this bike in our possession now and have started the process of bringing it back to life
I learned to ride on a bike not  unlike this, a Bridgestone 90, and I'd dearly love one to restore. People forget the place these little pressed steel (tinny)bikes had in motorcycling history. Good luck with it Rod.

I think my old mate Gus is building a Suzuki 85 'tinny' into a replica of Peter Gaunts championship winning trials bike which should be a sweetie.

DR

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2010, 05:04:08 pm »
excuse the long blurb below but this is my take...

I've been meaning to build something similar to the Gaunt Suzuki for ages. I have a '65 80cc which is the model used in the day but I was actually thinking of using the 'full size' B100 pressed steel chassis and matching 120cc 'plonker' motor. Basically the same thing except a little larger in all aspects. I actually had the '65 K10 80cc (pictured earlier in this thread) with me at Classic Dirt 7 but it never got out of the van ::) After arriving and seeing all the bling I figured most people would probably laugh and I felt a bit embarrassed that many would see it as nothing more than a 'woftam' and piece of shite with very little to do with vmx :-\ ( In hindsight I should have had more backbone and displayed it regardless of opinions :()

I love the old pressed steel chassis 'shitboxes' ;D I've always been of the mindset that it doesn't matter whether you build a Maico Mega 490 or a CL90 the work and commitment involved doing either is much the same. Best part about doing the bikes no-one seems to love is you don't have have to fight off the masses for any bits you happen to come across. Most people are only too happy to deal in beer and are gracious to be able to finally offload that redback nest that rests behind the garden shed.

Resale value of any bike or project I own NEVER EVER enters the equation. I do it for the enjoyment of piecing them together and the satisfaction of bringing back to life something that would otherwise probably hit the dump never to be seen again ;)

Building bikes such as these from parts/bikes very few care about or even wish to recognize as a real motorcycle is always going to be a win/win situation and the satisfaction at the end of the day is exactly the same or better. Even if I had $ to burn my habits would not change. Money simply makes things a bit easier but at the end of the day this does not necessarily equate to more satisfaction or enjoyment ;)

This thread is great and it's given me a bit more incentive and it's about time I start digging out all the bits I have that will make this Gaunt project a reality ;D

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2010, 05:44:20 pm »
Firko, an old friend of mine in Mackay who used to have a Motorbike shop, was the Yamaha, Ducati & Bridgestone dealer.  He had a well worked Bridgestone 90/100 which went like stink.  He has 2 Bridgestone 90s with 100cc barrels sitting under his house, and I'm not sure, but I think he also has some spare parts from when he closed the shop quite a few years ago.
Relive the dream!

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2010, 05:46:32 pm »
Doc,
The owner of said bike bleeds "green" and has been hanging to get a Kawi dirt bike of this age. Whilst it is strictly not a Kawi, i am sure that it will be when completed. It's strange that you mention REDBACK's as I think that he dumped a whole can of Baygon into the bike to get rid of the bloody things.
I am 100% sure the bike will be a runner and a rider, but it won’t be raced as such and will more than likely become a bar piece as big blokes will probably destroy it, and given there is enough old bikes in the garage that can be ridden before an old girl like this one is dragged out, although expect to see it do some Classic Dirt time. Strangely this bike has more motivation than some of the other extremely rare Kawi projects that could be done.

And to be honest, I think this bike will take more time & effort than some of the big bikes, perhaps that's why people pass on these projects because they can’t see a $ return at the end of it. Of the bikes that we have between us, none are ever built with a consideration of what they are worth, they are built for what they are and the satisfaction to be able to look back at them when finished and crack a can of ARSEHOLE or Jim Beam and admire the effort.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2010, 10:53:58 pm »
I love the old pressed steel chassis 'shitboxes' ;D I've always been of the mindset that it doesn't matter whether you build a Maico Mega 490 or a CL90 the work and commitment involved doing either is much the same. Best part about doing the bikes no-one seems to love is you don't have have to fight off the masses for any bits you happen to come across. Most people are only too happy to deal in beer and are gracious to be able to finally offload that redback nest that rests behind the garden shed.

Resale value of any bike or project I own NEVER EVER enters the equation. I do it for the enjoyment of piecing them together and the satisfaction of bringing back to life something that would otherwise probably hit the dump never to be seen again ;)

Building bikes such as these from parts/bikes very few care about or even wish to recognize as a real motorcycle is always going to be a win/win situation and the satisfaction at the end of the day is exactly the same or better. Even if I had $ to burn my habits would not change. Money simply makes things a bit easier but at the end of the day this does not necessarily equate to more satisfaction or enjoyment ;)

Amen!
I think you'll be surprised at how many people appreciate the really early Jap stuff.

FWIW, now that I've officially abandoned the YDS project, I'm thinking about a YG1 again... ::) A few mates had a later model one back when we were kids, and it was a nasty handling thing (esp on road tyres...) but went like buggery compared to the ATC90s, SL70s and so-on that we all had.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2010, 11:18:02 pm »
After arriving and seeing all the bling I figured most people would probably laugh and I felt a bit embarrassed that many would see it as nothing more than a 'woftam' and piece of shite with very little to do with vmx  ( In hindsight I should have had more backbone and displayed it regardless of opinions )
What shits me a bit Doc is that you take that attitude. You'd be really surprised at what people like or dislike. If you would have ridden that little bike past the Kevlar Kompound (as you did on a couple of your other little gems) you would have been crash tackled to the ground so we could have a better look at it. ;D Get that 'nobody cares about my bikes' chip off your shoulder and show the oddballs off with pride. One can only look at so many white plastic Yamahas before they all look the same but a Suzuki 80 tinny is something very unique and just as deserving of being loved.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:20:59 pm by firko »

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2010, 11:48:43 pm »
Without the two-gun approach Doc, I'd tend to agree. Every time I see one of your weapons in a pic, it's apparent that you've knocked it up with equal mixes of care, love, skill and smarts, and by carefully avoiding the need for big dollar bling. Make no mistake mate, we appreciate your build skills, and most of us are two shades of green about it !  ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

DR

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2010, 08:45:47 am »
yeah point taken. As I said, I should have had more backbone and not of the pressed steel type though that maybe an improvement regardless ::)

stay tuned, a loosely based 'Peter Gaunt type trials' project starts today. It's just the project I need for winter when my funds shrivel up along with the grass :D

monaro308

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2010, 12:52:58 pm »
Agree with all the above....Doc you churn out some interesting stuff and if you were down in Vic,you'd probably get nothing done because we'd all be visiting you  ;D

Here is my version of pressed steel  2 wheel fun.....it was supposed to be my V8s Bathurst camp ground run about but i got carried away and stopped 4 years ago...wondering "why am i restoring a 79 CT90 Trail to take to Bathurst?"
Another CT90,YZ80H,K in the shed to restore....
Graeme...can we have a minbike section please  ;D ;D ;D

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2010, 08:57:19 am »
is the radiator going up behind the front number plate?? therefore the need for the big tru flo water pump. Yeah that makes sense. But whos got a watercooled head for a postie??

MURN

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2010, 06:26:47 pm »

Actually have this bike in our possession now and have started the process of bringing it back to life. There have been various posts about people having some these in the back of the garage and would be interested in hearing from you as we are in need of a few pieces. Drop me a line please as we are keen to get her all shiny again.

Rod
still got a rough one and some extra engine parts in Melb ,like $80 the lot. 0413352027