Author Topic: 1969 'Summer of Love'  (Read 16764 times)

firko

Re: 1969 'Summer of Love'
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 05:46:04 pm »
Theres always a vintage motocross connection...you just have to look. Buck Dahma the lead guitarist of 'Don't Fear the Reapers' Blue Oyster Cult is good mates with Klub Kevlars US member Michael McCook and is a sometime vintage racer. McCook himself is a musician of note who made his millions building power surge boards for bands onstage equipment. He and the Buckster live in the same town and often jam. Here's the Blue Oyster Cult today...Buck sure can play....Kinda proves that a good band is a good band,,even 30 years later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpy_pYXSpPA

Good list Doc, good honest rock'n'roll. Not a Whitney Houston record in sight.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:49:33 pm by firko »

Curly3

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 06:04:37 pm »
Great list Firko
Great Rock & Race bikes have and always will go together.
Good memories.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 07:11:45 pm »
The place to be

Sweetwaters

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Curly3

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 07:21:49 pm »
Narrarra?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 07:36:24 pm »
.... my boss thinks I'm some sort of throwback.

Talk about the perfect set-up, Mainy... We all think you're a throw-back.

;D

That JJJ list was a perfect reflection of the voter age. While Smells Like Teen Spirit is a great song well deserved of being in any top 100, being voted the greatest record of all time is a bit of a stretch. It doesn't take much thought to think of 10 songs that had more musical innovation, sociological impact, and a great unforgettable groove than 'Teen Spirit.

I mostly agree, actually - but the point of the Hottest 100 is that its not about the technically best songs or anything like that - its about people voting for stuff that they like without needing to justfy it. Plenty of the punters that they called up, had actually voted for 'shockers' (by JJJ standards) for at least some of their choices.

So the Hottest 100 is actually the "Hottest 100 as voted by JJJ listeners in June 2009" - which is kinda what I was vaguely alluding to in my previous post. The youngsters do dominate the voting, and yet they can't get one of "their" songs into the Top 10. The list in another 10 years will be interesting - once the songs of the last ten years have had time to 'age' and be judged for their overall merit and/or historical significance.
I cannot think of any recent songs that I know will rate highly in the 2019 list, although I predicted at least half of the top 20.

Teen Spirit is THE anthem of Gen X, for better or for worse - as someone else said recently, "Nirvana was the band that finally killed 80s music". They're a long way from the top of my list, but the release of Nirvana's Nevermind was clearly a pivotal moment in recent musical history - and consequently its in the same "culturally signficant" ball-park as any Dylan/Stones/Beatles songs ever were - and arguably more significant at this point in history.
Teen Spirit isn't my favourite Nirvana song, or even my favourite song from that album - but it is still the iconic song that everyone of roughly my age thinks of when they talk about good music.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 09:36:57 pm »
Guys 69 was a great year no doubt but #THE SUMMER OF LOVE WAS IN 1967"

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 09:52:51 pm »
Theres always a vintage motocross connection...you just have to look. Buck Dahma the lead guitarist of 'Don't Fear the Reapers' Blue Oyster Cult is good mates with Klub Kevlars US member Michael McCook and is a sometime vintage racer. McCook himself is a musician of note who made his millions building power surge boards for bands onstage equipment. He and the Buckster live in the same town and often jam. Here's the Blue Oyster Cult today...Buck sure can play....Kinda proves that a good band is a good band,,even 30 years later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpy_pYXSpPA

Ah the Blue oyster cult (AKA in early day as "soft white underbelly", "stalk forrest group") i love this band, have every album and some bootlegs too. i thought i was in a minority here but am amazed you blokes kike them as well.

was the Zombies "Time of the Season" a 1969 song as well?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

maicopunk

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 09:53:43 pm »
That's a great list.  I was only 5 in 1969 but most of those songs strike a chord because my older brothers would always have many of them playing on the record player in their room, the old single speaker portable type.

I have about a quarter of the list on my iPod so I think I'll have to find a copy of the rest of them...   arrrrrr me hearties

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 10:10:46 pm »
I was in grade 5 in 69. I remember a group of us being allowed into the staff lunch room to watch the moon landing. It dragged on a bit waiting for it to finally happen, but it was way better than doing actual school work ;D
I was just discovering music around that time & that list is a good reflection of what was being played at the time.
Amazing to think though, that they were all released in 69, obviously some of them got a lot of airplay over the following years.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

firko

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 11:00:23 pm »
was the Zombies "Time of the Season" a 1969 song as well?
It sure was Hoony....How could that not be on the 1969 list? That would have to be one of the great tracks. The song was actually a hit a year after the Zombies broke up and Rod Argent and Russ Ballard from the Zombies had formed Argent (Hold Your Head Up. To hear the most arse kicking version of Time of the Season look for the 'Argent Live' album.

TooFastTim

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 01:26:49 pm »
A movie which gives a pretty good feeling of the time must be "Forrest Gump". OK the movie's crap but the soundtrack is great.

DR

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 03:51:21 pm »
Eddie and The Cruisers ;)

firko

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 05:21:26 pm »
OK the movie's crap but the soundtrack is great.
I have a different slant on Forrest Gump, besides a 'groovy' soundtrack, I reckon it's a great yarn showing that little people can also find greatness if they have the vision. I reckon Tom Hanks nailed it.

For a soundtrack that encapsulates the era there are four movies that grab me....Easy Rider, Woodstock, Monterey Pop and Blow Up. Blowup is a cool 1966 whodunit with Terrence Stamp that features the Yardbirds with both Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck but after Eric Clapton had left. Lots of mods and groovy dolly birds. Santanas 'Soul Sacrifice' from Woodstock is still my all time favourite filmed live performance closely followed by Ten Years After 'Goin' Home also at Woodstock. This was Santanas debut to a wide audience and they are truly amazing, especially Carlos's guitar solo and the drumming from 15 year old (not 19 as the You Tube caption says)Mike Shreive. Monterey Pop, also from '66 shows Janis Joplin blowing quite a few famous minds with 'Ball and Chain'. A week earlier she was an unknown bar blues singer a week later, she was a superstar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zeza1xeWKM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPX-9QXgGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGJynZNr7rk

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:23:16 pm by firko »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 06:39:09 pm »
Forrest Gump is cool alround.The scene when they take the shrimp boat out in the storm is somethin'.

Thanks for the links Firko (I thought that I'd fifnished YOUTUBING for today)
They are all awesome vids.
Mickaƫl Shrieve is truely awesome and at that age.
I wasn't familiar with that movie with the Yardbirds .Looks like Jeff Beck might hav ebeen the first one to smash up his guitar onstage - definitely started a trend there.
Monterey was also in 67 ya know.
Alvin Lee is fantastic - almost forgotten thesedays unless you live in europe.That Goin home track is one of the best live recordings ever.(Alvin Lee and TenYears after still tour but not together) 8)

TooFastTim

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 06:53:36 pm »
features the Yardbirds with both Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck but after Eric Clapton had left.

That must have been just prior to the New Yardbirds who morphed into a group called Led Zeppalin, who I heard had one or two good songs  8)