Author Topic: 1969 'Summer of Love'  (Read 16766 times)

Curly3

Re: 1969 'Summer of Love'
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2009, 09:19:08 pm »
Whats with the old bit, still a pup.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2009, 10:56:15 pm »
Yep should have called myself OLDYZ's
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

MX125B

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2009, 09:14:51 pm »
Hey Firko, great post, so many memories come flooding back.
Not many people have heard of Alvin Lee, but was one of the best ever if not fastest.
Johnny Winter? another underrated guitarist.  My pick for best ever is Jimmy Page playing Rock n Roll.
Thank god for You tube, you can spend endless hours watching all that stuff.
Remember the Bondi Lifesaver? The Stagedoor Tavern?

firko

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2009, 11:03:13 am »
Remember the Bondi Lifesaver? The Stagedoor Tavern?
You Betcha! I was a regular at the Lifesaver during the 70s and remember AC/DC being the semi regular Friday night band. Once they hit the big time their gig was taken over by Rose Tattoo. I can remember Bon Scott challenging me on the pin ball machine! Other venues worth remembering was the Manzil Room at Kings Cross, The Oxford Hotel at Taylor Square in Darlinghurst where the amazing Radio Birdman had a residency. Great bands, great venues, great era.

MX125B

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2009, 09:28:22 pm »
Alright!  The great Radio Birdman, the Saints, we used to see them at the  Caringbah Inn, Manly Vale Hotel, Selinas, Sweethearts at Cabramatta,  the good old days.
when AC DC played for free at Lane Cove Town Hall, many a good night was had at these venues, all pre RBT days, The main act would come on at
midnight, saw Dr Feelgood on night at the Manzil Room, then wrote off my Lancia Beta Coupe on the way home.

Saw the Knack My Sharona at the Stagedoor, little did i know at the time. that song was going to become an anthem for drunken bucks nights on years to come.  Saw the reformed Birdman AKA NEW RACE at Manly Vale when they had MC5 guitarist Ashton? with Denis Tek playing, God i could go on for hours.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2012, 09:40:42 am »
Aerosmith
AJ saw the American mx/vmxer's talking about this on facebook this morning..Legend stuff tickets where $7.50 8)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1959-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Jay-Geils-J-Geils-Band-/220989181434?pt=Guitar&hash=item3373fb4dfa
Jay Geils of J.Geils Band 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard
After almost forty five years of ownership rock superstar Jay Geils is selling his 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard. He has owned it since 1967 and it has appeared on every single J.Geils Band recording as well as on live shows around the world. Jay has played it on stage with bluesman B.B King, Duane Allman from the Allman Brothers Band, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells .  Jay affectionately calls it his “lunch pail” Les Paul because he made his living for so many years playing it.

“ As much as it pains me to sell it I just don’t use it anymore and hate to see it just sitting on my wall in my guitar room. It deserves to be played and wail as Gibson intended  . I’ll miss it but hope it goes to someone that needs it’s huge sound”
Jay acquired the guitar in 1967 when someone came up to him at a gig and was admiring the 1950’s Les Paul Custom he was playing. The gentleman wanted to trade Jay his Les Paul Standard for the shiny Les Paul Custom. The 1959 Les Paul was in horrible shape with a paint brush finish and a non original  Bigsby tailpiece. Jay immediately saw the possibilities and did the deal.

He contacted his good friend and luthier Eddie Murray who was the premier Boston guitar repairman at the time about putting the guitar back to it’s original specifications.  When stripping the guitar to re-finish it Eddie found it still had the inserts for the original stop tailpiece.  After a month of intense labor Eddie gave Jay back his guitar re-finshed in the standard Gibson sunburst with original Gibson stop tailpiece parts and the original high output Gibson PAF humbucking pickup that came with the guitars. 

In Jays words,” It was a keeper, good looking and it would break up any amp on the planet with those zebra PAF pickups.” Jay played the guitar on record and in live concerts for the rest of his career with the J.Geils Band.

The last time the guitar was played in concert was when the J.Geils Band played at Fenway Park in 2010 with Aerosmith.

Original brown Geib hardshell case and original nickel pickup covers  for the PAF’s come with this guitar.

During the recording of the J.Geils Band recording of Monkey Island the guitar fell in the studio and cracked the headstock. Eddie Murray again took the guitar back and made a cosmetically pleasing and structurally sound repair that has stood the test of time and affects the guitars sound and playability not at all. As Jay says” it’s part of the rock and roll wars. If you don’t play it and lock it up in a case it’s not a guitar but a museum piece. My guitar needs to be played it’s not a museum piece.”

The two PAF pickups, pots and caps are   original to this guitar as are the pickup surrounds.  The  pick guard, stop tailpiece, bridge, tuners, truss rod cover, frets, rhythm/treble plate, knobs are not original to this instrument but are correct original , Gibson Guitar Company period pieces available in 1969 or before as there were no companies to our knowledge manufacturing aftermarket replacement parts . The metal jack plate was Jay’s idea because when jumping around the stage he pulled the jack out of the guitar a few times.

The bridge pickup measures 8.37k  and the neck pickup 8.46k.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSJkEYLCOGE&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:55:12 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2012, 04:19:43 pm »
Nice axe, but I really struggle to see the extreme price in it.  Even though it's celebrity owned, it's not an iconic celebrity as far as I am concerned.  The George Harrison "Let it Be" Rosewood Telecaster went for GBP 250K, but that was a one off guitar and it was the Beatles.  (and incidentally it was George buying it back).

'59 LPs are iconic and extremely valuable, but this isn't even a great example of the '59LP.  It has a repaired headstock, refinished body and some non original hardware.  All those things subtract value.

Will be interesting to see if it sells.  I seriously doubt it at that price.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:39:18 am by AjayVMX »

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2012, 07:11:27 am »
If you can call it a repair looks like it as done with a chainsaw................lol. i would love an early LP
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 08:58:18 am »
I see the "bathroom window song" Joe cocker--- was a remake of the Beatles and Firko, youve added king crimson and they are already in the list.. i didnt think they were that good for a double entry.. ;)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 12:46:49 pm »
Even though it's celebrity owned, it's not an iconic celebrity as far as I am concerned
The J. Geils band were huge in America in the 70's. Their one hit here belies just how big they were in their home country. Their harmonica player, Magic Dick is the best I've heard and Peter Wolfe the lead singer had all the rock god moves down pat ;D. There's a good close ups of J. Geils playing the above Les Paul in the "Lookin' for Love" vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEoSJrLxxbw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUlIkpKr3xM
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline ozktm151

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2013, 01:32:45 pm »
1969 Led Zep not quite Woodstock but their debut year. 2013 Robert Plant just like a vmx bike. A little rough round the edges but gives you the same joy as back in the day. Concert was fantastic!

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2013, 08:54:16 pm »
its a mixed grill with these "old" bands on tour. seen Roger waters twice and he was fantastic. saw Steely Dan and they were terrible. backing band was superb but both fagen and becker were out of tune and out of time.

looouuve the Celebration day concert. Kashmir had to be one of the greatest renditions ive ever heard. ed zep were on the cusp of failing but pulled it together for most songs. isnt it great when 50 y/o music still cuts it among the latest stuff.

mainline

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2013, 05:53:43 pm »
Dust off your cow bells, the Blue Oyster Cult are in oz as we speak. You lot down south have a couple of days to go see them

http://www.blueoystercult.com/Road/OnTour.html

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2013, 08:25:58 pm »
Dust off your cow bells, the Blue Oyster Cult are in oz as we speak. You lot down south have a couple of days to go see them

http://www.blueoystercult.com/Road/OnTour.html

fork it, i forgot to get tix. long time BOC fan. give us a review MainSki when you can.

its the only time they have been to oz.

Buck Dhama rules
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

mainline

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2013, 09:25:43 pm »
Sorry, my wife only saw the tour poster this morning in our local coffee shop. They've already been and gone from Brissy.  Absolutely f%&#'ing spewing that I missed The Plimsouls though. Never get another chance to see them live.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:57:58 pm by mainline »