Author Topic: I gots to know, How do you get a bike transported from the 'States?  (Read 5042 times)

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Gudday,
I got's to know.  ;D How DO you get a bike from the USA to Australia? Who has done it and how was it done? What are the traps to look out for? I had a introduction to Aussie customs 101 earlier this year with something I bought on fleabay and it's an eye opening experience. 10 pages of forms, no exaggeration, and 400 plus bucks for the privilege not including the GST so it's something I'd like to go into heads up.
Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.
Regards
FBC

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: I gots to know, How do you get a bike transported from the 'States?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 08:24:11 pm »
it on here some were allready ;D

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 08:56:19 pm »
Fatboy, I tapped 'import' into the 'search bar' on this page; it brought up all the previous threads on this topic.
For Aussie Customs rules and regs try Googling 'dotars' and this will give you a link to our Governments import application form.

I'm currently importing from Canada; awaiting return of my import approval certificate ($50 fee and 17 days wait).
But I've decided not to use an Agent.
I've contacted a few and explained I had no idea of the process, all info appreciated.
No info was forthcoming unless I asked exactly the right question and the response was, "well yeah of course ya need one of those..."
It was like extracting teeth!
Stuff it, I'll give it a burl myself. 
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:55:19 pm »
umm  before we start another massive thread.   there is  an easier way.  get a shipper, trust us.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 08:15:57 am »
I've searched. I'm edjumacated. Me thinks I'll wait until I find the once in a lifetime must have bike. I liked the comment I found about the customs rules being crazy but the importers are all too shite scared to say anything in case they stir the hornets nest and get "red flagged". How true.
FBC

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 08:57:33 am »
so what bike do you want

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 12:37:36 pm »
I guess this means there is no chance of ever buying a bike from Oz and having it shipped to the US. It would likely be destroyed by homeland security.

I have a good friend in Arizona who sent a box with two tailight lenses for a 60 something Honda to his brother in Colorado.
The box had been opened, and "inspected" four screws were missing. Damn, I'm glad we are inspecting motorcycle parts with the level of dilligence we are..BTW you should see the border in Arizona to Mexico-literally miles of a 100+ yr old barbed wire fence, broken in most places. The DEA guys told me they had to confiscate some marijuana every so often to cover what has entered which they do not know about( weapons?). ..all this while I saw marijuana growing wild all over the place there. Talk about pissing away tax dollars, I suppose the next threat will be a stoned guy on an old bike ;D ;D

Do you have to fill out forms and implement import procedured for parts too, or only whole bikes?
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 02:19:47 pm »
i recently spoke to a bloke who purchased a complete 1981 250cc Maico from the USA via ebay.

he had the whole bike shipped in 12 seperate parcels to OZ for the price of just over US$500, how i do not know as that is bloody cheap.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

oldfart

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 02:33:28 pm »
maicos are i disease  i know ive got it !!!!!! how much did he pay for it before the 12 parcels  :P

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 02:58:25 pm »
I had a customer who bought a Husky frame from the States. It was sent sea mail & had the rear sub frame cut off & strapped into the engine bay. It had stamps on it of around $58.00 US.
I had to weld it back together for him, the guy did an allright job of cutting it neatly & it went back together quite nice.

When in ths States in 85 I took a bus trip from LA to Washington DC. Talk about holiday from hell. Anyway when we passed through New Mexico, border security pulled the bus over to check everyone out. They picked me straight away & I had to go through all my stuff as I had buried my passport under everything as I never imagined I would need it. There was about 3 Mexicans they took of the bus & they never got back on. :o
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

mx250

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 06:09:18 pm »
i recently spoke to a bloke who purchased a complete 1981 250cc Maico from the USA via ebay.

he had the whole bike shipped in 12 seperate parcels to OZ for the price of just over US$500, how i do not know as that is bloody cheap.
Now thats a deal. Defeat 'the system' by confusion - probably avoid GST as well - no part more than $500.

But you would need a keen patient co-operative seller. I'm not quite sure what I would expect as recompense if someone asked me.

firko

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 10:56:29 pm »
 My Hindall Ducati just arrived from the USA in four seperate boxes. The total to ship the bike here was $440 as opposed to around $1000 for a complete bike. The Cheney I've just bought is going to be shipped the same way. The seller has no problems with dismantling the bike for me so as the bike has stock Yamaha wheels and I'm going to use Rickman items I told hime to keep them, saving me a few bob on shipping something I don't need. He's putting the engine in one box, the frame/forks in another, and the tank and seat in another. He's shipping the frame and engine boxes to Australia via Preferred Transport Systems in Long Beach CA and Roly Leahy on the Gold Coast for around $400. The seller is then going to airmail me the tank and seat so I can get the tank straightened and seat reupholstered while I'm waiting for the rest to come by sea. Another advantage of shipping the bike in dismantled condition is that it avoids any pink slip or bill of sale dramas and you don't need an import licence to import second hand parts as you do for a complete bike.

Roly Leahy is the shipper I've been using for a few years now. I'm not saying he's the cheapest but he is honest, efficient and easy to deal with. Suits me perfectly.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 02:41:38 pm »
agreed :O) go roly.

as always the frame seems to be the hardest part to post
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 08:41:15 pm »
I agree on all counts re frames being a pain and getting a pro to ship etc.

When considering having a bike sent as parts however just remember that the snail mail surface option no longer exists between the US and OZ and so, even if using the cheapest airmail rate it'll cost you and if you try and cut corners you are MAD if you don't insure each parcel.

If the seller is agreeable ask him to group and label (and hopefully take detailed pics) the parts and secure them in bags etc

Check with customs about the minimum declared amounts before GST is attracted (it used to be $500AU which is the total price to get the part ie the item cost PLUS the stated postage!) If you have a heavy expensive item you could attract GST but I also seem to think the threshold has been raised to as high as $1000AU. This applies to anything coming in via mail. If you are doing a declared import the GST will be levied on the bike too and this is where a good importer can work around things like overpayment etc.

BTW - I am going to look into Firko's shipper as the guy I use, as good as he is, only ships twice a year and I'm looking to get things happening as a constant flow with six month delays before ships 'sail' etc.

If you plan on doing your own import through a shipping company get ALL the costs as the very first bike I imported cost me a bloody bomb due to rip offs such as quarantine cleansing, handling feels bullshit bullshit bullshit. I a pro does it for you they have all the contacts at both ends of the process and so all you have to do is arrange for your friendly seller to get the bike there (unless they are a thief like my mate Thurlow Paul Schmieding who promised to pull the bike down (I have pic's of that part of the process) and then on-ship (and that part my friends never happened!)

I have serious reservations about buying whole bikes from the US - especially through evil-bay who don't give shit if you get ripped off by someone like Thurlow Scumbag or whoever and so if the seller smells like shit (which Schmieding didn't I must point out) chances are you are setting yourself up for a rough ride so please be careful. And SAVE ALL CORRESPONDENCE, PAYMENT RECEIPTS AND PICTURES. If you know someone in the US ask them to make Stateside calls on your behalf which should make the guys stay honest. Bottom line with the guy who stole the money from me was he KNEW he could get away with it (Shame he'll get cancer and die, lol)

Note also that there are shipping weight and size limits same as here and often the Stateside transfers require the seller (or you) to arrange for Fedex etc to get the parts to the shipping company.

As Firko says, get the seller to ditch or resell any junk on the bike too - that can be anything from some fades and cracked old guards to exhausts and wheels.  Bottom line is if it's junk you don't want it.

And Firko - what is all that weird stuff you have been buying on evilbay - A DEVIL GIRL METAL LUNCHBOX and a green laser pointer (you'll need that for the slide night!!!)

See you at the back of the pack (after watching some of the fast guys at Buladellah on the weekend I'd say well back, lol!!!)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted