Author Topic: Getting a non regestable dirt bike reged.  (Read 4568 times)

runutz698

Getting a non regestable dirt bike reged.
« on: July 10, 2009, 02:45:39 pm »
Hello Guys,

I have been thinking about getting a unreged bike with no compliance plate reged, The bike in mind was never road reged and is condisdered unregable.

I have been thinking of doing a retro flat track style road bike. Now if these choppers can be bent up and motor shoved in and reged. This probly more an eng. type question!

What is needed?
How hard is it to do(VIC)?
Has anyone done it??

I think this would be a very unique ride.

CHeers
Nutz
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 05:29:05 pm by runutz698 »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Getting a non regestable dirt bike reged.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 05:41:56 pm »
what bike is it? if its a pre 78 or before compliance plates came out you wont have a problem but if its newer thats another story
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

runutz698

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:17:30 am »
1968 Montesa so way before then, But if it has never been reged before??  Then never reged this model and I was always under the impression that they were non regestable. I would neev to do lights and incators in very tasteful way, Chain gard and maybe a muffler as well just fro reg.

SO you think it is as easy putting lights on and getting roady and then reg? No engineers required??

CHeers
Nutz

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:09:02 am »
yes thats no problem, it SHOULDNT be a problem, if you go through the right people and dont get a rego nazi

well in SA you just need lights, horn and brake light.

In SA it wouldnt be a problem anyway.

I will be getting a BSA B44 GP registered for someone soon.

if its before compliance plates (which 68 is) all you should need to is fit the bare essentials mentioned above. You could almost get away with no lights aswell. I know someone who has got a 1917 Indian registered. it has no lights.

the best thing would to be to go through a historic rego club and get it done through there, but then the bike really has to be original and look right to be approved so if your building a special you might not be able to do it. Each state is different. Best to speak to your classic bike club and to owners who have regoed old bikes with no previous records of rego or nothing.

No engineers certificate stuff should be required, but i really done know about Vic, they could be totally opposite.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:34:47 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:12:10 am »
1968 Montesa so way before then, But if it has never been reged before??  Then never reged this model and I was always under the impression that they were non regestable. I would neev to do lights and incators in very tasteful way, Chain gard and maybe a muffler as well just fro reg.

SO you think it is as easy putting lights on and getting roady and then reg? No engineers required??

CHeers
Nutz

Any motorcycle manufactured prior to Jan 1975 (pre-compliance) can be road registered as long as it has the following

1, A speedo in MPH or KPH (OEM)
2, 1 mirror
3, a working headlight with Hi/Lo beam
4, a tail light (with numberplate illumination and reflector) and brake light (rear switch only)

any other items you wish to add are o.k too , indicators front brake switch etc and it doesn't matter if that model was never registered anywhere or anytime
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:17:24 am »
yeah i forgot to mention mirrors, is SA you need to have 2 though, one is not enough. In SA we dont need speedos but its responibilty of the onwer to keep to the speed limit, so you would be stupid to not have one really, but there are bikes where its not possible to put a speedo on other than a bicycle one.

All Things 414

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 10:25:39 am »

CHeers
Nutz

Am I totally missing something here Tom or are you trying to get that GP Monty on the road?  ???

runutz698

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 02:42:44 pm »
That is a brilliant Idea why didn't think of that!!!

No I have an old Douglas I am wishing to get on the road but it is purpose built dirtbike. Never been reged always on dirt from factory!!!

But the GP would look awsome as a road going flat track type racer... What would be so weird about that??

Nuutz

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 05:13:47 pm »
The GP is a i bike i restored which is a special rare ISDT BSA factory modified version from the factory. Original lights were missing so i fitted a period small Wipac tail light and 5&3/4 headlight with enduro numberplate above it. The bike ran lights before hand at some stage for enduro /ISDT work.

fredie

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 05:27:16 pm »
what bike is it? if its a pre 78 or before compliance plates came out you wont have a problem but if its newer thats another story
you say 1978 but the other poster says 1968 . whats the go

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 05:33:49 pm »
you need to read my post correctly. Intially what i always thought, the bikes had to be pre 75 but recently i have heard a lot of talk that compliance plates only came in in 1978 and not 75 either way its one of those date and it may different for different states. Cycle god said its 75 so now im thinking maybe it is 75 and not 78.

now runutz698 has a 1968 bike. what i said was that 'it' or his bike (68 model) is before compliance plates came out (either 75 or 78??) i didnt say that compliance plates came out in 68.

i just put a couple brackets in my previous post to make it more clear and not confusing  :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:35:25 pm by LWC82PE »

runutz698

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 06:05:34 pm »
The GP hat 414 was refering to was a Montesa GP250, which only 250 were made in total production. Not a english GP!!!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 06:41:00 pm »
Compliance plates for bikes began at the start of 1976. I thought that they all needed plates to be rego'd from January 1976, but it may have been like cars where they were introduced progressively (Holdens had them from sometime in 970 or maybe 1969, but imported cars didn't need them until 1972).

Whatever the exact scenario, if its a pre 1976 (or 78?) bike, then it just needs to meet the basic road-worthy requirements (as CG posted) - and its the date of manufacture, not the year model.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline monte34

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 08:15:52 pm »
For most  machines around the middle 1970s the RTA in NSW would be hard pressed knowing what their date of manufacture was, or did Japanese bikes have plates on them? I've got a couple of late 70's Montesa enduros that don't have plates on them, but also one from 1975 with a plate, ??? so I would think that the RTA would accept whatever you told them regarding date of manufacture. ;)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 08:52:36 pm »
when I got my 79 PE175 registered in NSW, he glanced at it, asked where the chain guard was (they never came with one) and demanded I fit TWO mirrors. Started it up and he waved at me to shut it off after 1.5 seconds. apart from that,  get a weighbridge certificate (yes really, cost me $21) and... absolutely nothing else. Come back tomorrow. bike had clearly not been moved or touched. $35. tick.