Author Topic: So What's Wrong With It?  (Read 15466 times)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
So What's Wrong With It?
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:05:12 pm »
Now that i have settled and had time to reflect, at Classic Dirt i had a local fellow come up and have a chat with me about the KX5 and whilst we chatted about the bike in general, his parting comment was something like, "Nice bike but don't bother bringing it in that spec to the Nationals as we wont even let you take it off the trailer"

I was rather a bit taken back at the time but quickly forgot about it and didn't give it a second thought, but recently have started to think what a tool he was, particulary when he diddnt even have the decency to ask about the spec.

So brake caliper and sprocket cover aside, what is the issue with the bike?
An i'd argue the case about the caliper as it is the same spec caliper as what is fitted to a 1984 CR500.
Interested with comments from anyone, and i wont be taking the bike (or for that matter myself) to the Nationals. Simply ran out of time and money. :(

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:11:45 pm by Bahnsy »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: So What's Wrong With It?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:08:22 pm »
Must be the forks that got him offside and confused.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 08:19:39 pm »
I can't see anything Bahnsy, I can even lend you an original front Caliper if you want, but if its the same as an '84 CR the WTF??

I wouldn't go anywhere near the nationals myself, too many Tools with Badges for my liking... :-\

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 08:23:34 pm »
Please pretty please can I have your suspension, I went out for a final test ride on my KX500 today and my tired old shock and a fork seal blew out,doh. after I've just entered the nationals!
83 KX500, 83 RM250D, Can Am MX2.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 08:27:44 pm »
4054 in that version where after 85 , so I believe :)  

Wrong! :-*

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 08:35:23 pm »
The cap at the top will give you the month and year of manufacturing . 

I have these forks on two 84 Kato's and the caps screw off, so how do you control that?
Just go get a 91 model pair and screw 84 model caps in them?

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 09:20:13 pm »
It's one thing if the forks were OEM equipment from a specific manafacturer like KTM, but these forks are stamped H286 on the top cap and were originally purchased to be fitted to a 1986 Honda XR350. I specifically searched Australia and USA for "AfterMarket" units not OEM units so i don't contravene;
18.7.14.4 All components will be of the period the machine was manufactured
As the forks have no external adjustments and are the same specification as the 1984 KTM MX models, save for the disc brake lower section they are essentially a 1984 specification 4054.

For the rest of the parts;
- The front wheel is the original 83 KX500 unit
- The caliper is a dual 20mm piston caliper and color aside is the same spec as a 1984 Honda (the Honda's were black)
- The brake master cylinder is the original 83 KX500 unit
- A custom brake line was used to match the cylinder and caliper
- The front disc is a new aftermarket replacement that was specifically ordered to not have holes so as to be the same as the 83 KX500 disc.

Given that they are aftermarket units, not something taken from a production bike, if a race organiser was looking to penalise me for running these units, then i will sign as many $70 cheques as i need to challenge all the EVO bikes running around with brand new Ohlins or similar.  ;D
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 09:27:06 pm »
Bahnsy if the forks were available over the counter in 1984 then you've got nothing to worry about.
Ohlins were available in the era of an evo bike so there is not a problem with them.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:28:20 pm »
No stress Walter. ;)
These are the forks that we discussed the top out bump stops.

As for the performance of the WP4054 Vs the Kawi 43mm units, i'm struggling to find much other than the fact that the billet clamps have a multitude of bar positions that the Kawi units didn't have. For a 6'2" 110kg rider this has been the biggest advantage, that and the high bend renthal twin walls.

I don't think the bike will ever be at a National Title as i have learned very quick that it's about 3 times the bike that i will ever be capable of riding.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 09:35:17 pm »
Ohlins were available in the era of an evo bike so there is not a problem with them.
Kinda, but not with high/low or external adjustments and the larger shafts of the new units.
All my twin shock bikes (5 of them) have period Ohlins, not the later model units for this reason. Oh and the cost  ;)
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 09:46:18 pm »
FireKwaka,
Front forks are peice of piss to service, the rear shock not so. They have an alloy body that flogs out and at times makes them rather difficult and expensive to repair.
I have (as my emergency back up) the original rear shock that has recently been rebuilt. If you are stuck, let me know.

I have had a lot of help from people in this sport, (some have responded in this thread) and as Earl Hickey's list tells us we need to be minfull of KARMA.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 10:15:51 pm »
too simple an answer - sprocket cover?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 10:30:48 pm »
nice bike you cant ride it cause you stole maico 31 s
number ;D ;D

i always thought 84 ktm 4054 forks were drum
and they went disc in 85 ???
follow me to first turn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 10:57:08 pm »
Correct, KTM went a bit wayward around 83/84/85.
1983 495MX 42mm conventional forks (Marzocchi from memory) with a Disc and single piston caliper
1984 495MX 40mm USD WP4054 with Twin Leading Drum
1985 495MX 40mm USD WP4054 with Disc & either a Brembo or KTM proprietry twin piston caliper
According to the parts manuals the 84 & 85 fork are basically mechanically the same save for the caliper Vs drum brake mounting hardware. From memory the big change came in 86 or 87 when the forks got external adjustment.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 04:44:22 pm »
Bahnsy - of course you could always pass it on to somebody else to have the shite scared out of them as well??????

;)

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica