Author Topic: The real value of an ex factory bike  (Read 5756 times)

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
The real value of an ex factory bike
« on: June 23, 2009, 01:07:24 pm »
Ok, been looking into a machine that has supposed connections to a great all time american racer. In my oppinion, who set up the bike is more valuable to who eventually rode it. But what is the expectation for the value of a machine that has a stars name attached to it.

I don't want the bike because of who rode it, i want it to ride it but i have a machine in the same class already.......but it looks like a sweet machine and could possibly replace the other!!!!!!

It's a common reliable machine (which is good) except it has an unusual frame which is what has grabbed me.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: The real value of an ex factory bike
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:58:21 pm »
more imformation would help.  all a bit vague to answer
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

cbc

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:09:08 pm »
Probably pretty much a personal decision. Some people are attached to certain brands and models and there for value them more.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:04:00 pm »
steve
i have just done that bought a bike that was set up properly and has won a few major races.i also have the same class bike but i think this was the way to go.not who rode it but who set the bike up as well.most good riders will win on most bikes but a well set up bike will help you do better.i will give you a better answer after the 5th july when i ride it for the first time
cheers
jim

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:06:37 pm »
BUY BUY BUY ;D ;D ;D
Cheers
Noel
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 05:39:44 pm »
He'll trade me EXC for it!..................DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bultaco M106 Astro

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 05:43:31 pm »
what  is it

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 10:18:11 pm »
Just buy it, If you don't - I will, As long as it is Japanese and from the seventies, I will put in a bid
 :) :) :)
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 11:45:39 pm »
more details an we can probally tell you even if it has connections. you can work back from there.

8/10 these things are never what they say.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 08:15:23 am »
Yamaha TT500 in a very special looking frame reportedly ridden by Kenny Roberts back in the day. The rear end has a Fox mono shock and the OIF tank is in the front down tube.

Bultaco M106 Astro

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 08:16:23 am »
for some reason i can't add a picture? Option not there.
Bultaco M106 Astro

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 09:56:06 am »
Steve there was a TT500 in a Kenny Roberts frame here on the coast in the late 70's, early 80's that someone bought in from the states. Where is the bike you speak of? I'll find out more about it, i'm seeing the original owner today.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 10:56:06 am »
DONT confuse a KR frame to a Roberts ride.  they are 2 differant very differant things, if its a TT500 then it would have only been built for Tourist trophy races ( ovals with jumps), both foot pegs would be the same height and opposite ( not stagggered)  assuming its not been messsed with.

Rob North i think built the frames to kel curuthers and KR's specs for the Road racing, and the dirt frame stuff i think was made by Jerry Griffith and/or spark. E, so what you probally are looking at is a commercial frame built around his specs, i do know the KR frames came in both twin and also Mono.  IM guessing TT500 motors where post 75, so KR himself would have been doing the rounds of the World GP's and less likely to have any hands on in TT Grand national rides, by then he was messing with the TZ750, so if anything he may have developed frame specs for the builders and then tweaked his own race frames from there.

IF its in AU it would be easy to find out if there is any provinece with a few pics.  The value in the frame would be only as far as its a KR design, which in itself is a good thing, but i doubt very much there was any Set up involved by KR in that particular bike.   What you most likely buying into is a solid frame, based around his guiding design principles, its widely thought he was a good tuner/designer and around that time he was working on the twin tube design frames ( spelling the end of single tube road racers) to get MR yamaha to get the TZ series back on track, i think in the end although yamaha knew they were needing the space frames, they lost out to the release of the Honda Rs bikes which then went on in leaps an bounds. :(

YEp the picture thing is gone , you have to host it in photbucket then embedd the link in here - see thread about it in system probs, i raised the same question up there , and there is now a link to the answer and a tutorial.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:35:36 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 12:42:06 pm »
Bultaco M106 Astro

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 02:10:06 pm »
On first look there are some things that concern me about as much as they interest me, the rear end and the front forks/wheels for a start, the tank should have been glass as well as the seat section if it was set up for Dt/TT.  It just has a feel that its a frame thats been added too, the carpets dont seem to match the curtains so to speak.

I'D love to see some better pics of the detail areas 

Is it oil in frame ?  does the exhaust exit propally or does it look like it should be a for a twin and had the arse modified.  a lot of the periperals, even pegs seem to be added in AU, it just doest have the US set up i would expect to see even for a TT, it may have been a frame sent out, then built up over time in AU, or had the bits removed and added to over time, specially if it was tracked here and they put on stuff that they thought worked for them when they raced or rode it.

My gut feel if you was to ask me  'its value' id say its just what its worth, its good points are balanced out by its bad, i cant see anythink special there to make me want to pay more that an average TT bike, unless of course there is somthing else to pick up i the frame detail.  its just the rest off it dont feel right, so as far as paying for the value in the set up, you would be working from a Au set up price, cause i think thats were its at, at the moment.

Really needs more info and pics to get to a value for anything above normal.  if you can find out the rest rthen you may be able to add up the Dollars you would put ontop of a special bike, be it provinence or setup, but you really need to have that to be able to take it to the next level of pricing.  What are the stamps on the frame.

Interesting bike all the same.   ;D

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:14:08 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's