Author Topic: The real value of an ex factory bike  (Read 5755 times)

firko

Re: The real value of an ex factory bike
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 03:00:45 pm »
Times sure are changing....I'm once again agreeing with Freaky! 
The KRs forks appear to be too long although the triple clamps look right. The alloy YZ tank is probably on there so the bike can run methanol locally. My guess from the photos is that it's a KR TT frame but better photos, especially of the peg mounts would tell us more . The nickel appears to be trashed but other than that the bike appears to be a good start to a good and interesting project.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 03:20:12 pm »
I agree as well. It comes with an mx front end so i assumed that side of it was all done locally. The magnesium clamps look right but those forks look dodge (can't tell if they are non leading axle). It looks pretty high for a flat tracker to but that may be on the stand?

I am hoping to get a look at it this weekend. So that leaves me to the next question.......what is a TT worth. Recent HL on ebay at $6k running. Stock ones rate about the same from dealer types.
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 03:35:57 pm »
Freaky OIF, carried in the front down tube.
Bultaco M106 Astro

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 04:18:03 pm »
its worth what you want to pay, the sum of its parts dont amount to that much, there is a lot of work there, plus how "good" is that motor, you could pour a lot of money into that bike to make it into something special, but most of the stuff on it i would remove.  So to my way of thinking i would be pricing into it the value of the frame and the motor, they are the only really solid referance point, all the other stuff is just that stuff and give or take a couple of hundred wont really rate in your price summation.

Price in your head 2 things the price of a stock TT 500 motor and the cost of the frame.  then youll be around the mark, as a starting point, you can wrestle with the voices in your head from there.

I have no idea about what a TT donk is worth, but as a pair if i was to guess a value and  if you brought that to me, i would 'nt think too hard about buying it sub $2k, anything over that the voices in my head would cut in and i would want to see more info, details and suss that donK out for lifetime and get some numbers going.

You mention height.  its supposed to be, that's why its a Tourist trophy set up, pegs are level and bike is set up high, not like a Flat tracker, 2 differant things, having said that this bike should be able to do both easily and even hit a pre 75 mx track if your keen.   US TT tracks are basically a rehashed oval or kindney with a few single jumps put down to make it interesting, the peg hieght takes on the jumps, and positions allow for both the left right combinations,  its sort of more a scamble thing - ish or an ealy stadium cross.

those forks arent right for sure, the disk even looks road to me ???

What your actually getting is a fairly versitile bike really, means you can enter all sort of pre 78 races in vintage events.  with a bit imagination you can make some mods to clip on /Off for all sorts of speciallised tracks, you could have body work for DT, then a seat fender set for MX, even wire up lights for an Vinduro. 

Im not saying it will be great in all disciplines, but because its designed for somting we really dont have here, you'd be better off making it into something you can enjoy in all sorts of events, its got a lot of potential, but its also got alot of work.

Not sure.  uP to you really, guess it comes back to one thing though - his price. ;)

Firko..........maybe were twins, like in that movie :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:30:01 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 09:52:43 am »
Here is a little run down on what i have stumbled accross. I have had a look at the bike as it is and it needs some serious work. Probably came out as a frame only, looking at the rear wheel offset (not centred) etc. But as stated in the little write up the ability to change steering head angles between 26 & 29 degrees makes it a pretty usefull machine. Welding on frame is very neat, nickle is crap!

http://motorbikearchives.com/Features/Bike-Set-Up/An-Industry-Insider-s-Guide-To-Alchemy-1979.html

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro