Author Topic: Electric MX bikes  (Read 11824 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Electric MX bikes
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 12:56:26 pm »
Hydrogen powered vehicles will be what we use the future.

The other night while watching the Dakar rally they showed one of the bike riders who is running a Hydrogen powered bike.

I hate bikes with batteries. >:( They go flat, need charging, they are unreliabile and piss out acid which wrecks stuff like chrome. The half decent sealed ones that dont leak are bloody expensive, but need proper care and maintenance so they last. They are heavy and take up space for other things like decent air boxes.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 09:57:18 am »
I remember when I was an appretice back in the 70's we went to a Battery manufacture as a polytech trip. The guy showing us around said that they had the technology then to produce a battery that lasted foever (this is 1976)  but theres no money in that....they want to keep selling you batteries. Think about this, most of the space station shit was all battery powered, they didn't "holler for a marshall" up there did they?. They seem to have alot of trouble with the solar panel shit though!!!. And as for the Toyota Prius, that is the biggest con going around in the motor industry at the moment. over priced peice of shit!!!!, whats worse is our stupid polititions keep buying the bucket's of shit with our tax money! There, thats my rant for the day.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 01:11:47 pm »
I remember when I was an appretice back in the 70's we went to a Battery manufacture as a polytech trip. The guy showing us around said that they had the technology then to produce a battery that lasted foever (this is 1976) 
Absolutely untrue for just about any real world 1970's application he could have named!  Lead-Acid? no. (sulphation, no deep-cycling, grid corrosion)  Nickel-Cadmium? no. (memory effect, self-disharges) Nickel-metal hydride? no. (limited cycles, self-discharges) Lithium ion? no. (didn't even exist back then! poor cycle life) The only one I have heard might have this ability is the EEStor, which is apparently based upon a barium titanate ceramic powder, but has been greeted with great scepticism. (but then again Lockheed-Martin have signed some deal with them)
You might want to look at what CSIRO are up to - http://www.csiro.au/science/Ultra-Battery.html
As to space work, Apollo used silver-zinc, which had to last a week. (lots of real silver!)
The space-station has huge 175kg battery packs for the solar arrays that are meant to last 6-7 years . Dead ones are being replaced in space-walks after 9 years. 'last forever' did he say?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:09:53 pm by lukeb1961 »

TooFastTim

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2010, 04:56:09 pm »
Could this change your mind?

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 04:46:21 am »
Tim can you imagine the fun I will have at 04h30 in the morings in the Constantia forests. Dream on Tim- I have placed an order. Tonight I rode trials in the up reaches of the forests above Porter School- always trying to avoid anybody hearing us. Based on the electric bike prospects we could proabably hit Cape Point from Tokai and be back before the bunny huggers wake
Old and slow - and happy

PB20

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 12:45:26 pm »
Could this change your mind?

White frame brace is fugly...I think it would handle better than the Zero...

LWC82PE, not sure why you want room for an airbox on an Ebike.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 01:45:17 pm »
How long before a budding entrepreneur leases/builds a 3000/3500 sqM facility in the inner city area, builds a motocross track in it and stocks it with a fleet of these bikes, there’d be a queue to get to the counter to book in.

Image having tea, cruising down to the “Compound” afterwards and cutting 30/40 minutes of laps then heading home.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 02:54:14 pm »
Why do KTM put the rear brake up on the bars (they do the same with some of there 50s & everyone changes them) ????

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 05:35:16 pm »
Why do KTM put the rear brake up on the bars (they do the same with some of there 50s & everyone changes them) ????

Only on the KTM Adventure 50's which are the beginers bikes do they have both brakes on the bars. This is to help them tranistion from a push bike (eg: BMX) to the motor bike. When they have confidence with the bike, you buy the rear brake kit which comes with a cable, brake pedal and hardware and convert it to a rear foot brake. We used to sell them with a new bike each time. Its a pity that the Japanese manafactures diddn't do the same.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

albrid-3

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 05:55:23 pm »
Bicycles that look like current  model motorcrossers, Soon there will be power points in trees. recharge while your in the state forrest.

All Things 414

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 06:49:12 pm »
This has an eerie resemblence to a story that Rick Siemen wrote about thirty years ago....... :(

PB20

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 11:24:28 pm »
How long before a budding entrepreneur leases/builds a 3000/3500 sqM facility in the inner city area, builds a motocross track in it and stocks it with a fleet of these bikes, there’d be a queue to get to the counter to book in.

Image having tea, cruising down to the “Compound” afterwards and cutting 30/40 minutes of laps then heading home.

Good idea! Got enough insurance?? Btw, I rode in one of this huge mutha indoor tracks on the east coast of the US not so long ago, pretty cool it was too!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:27:48 pm by PB20 »

PB20

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 11:26:25 pm »

Its a bicycle thing. I can see the mountain bike trails in suburbia swamped with Ebikes in 2 years. How long before some antsy assholes whine their asses on the front page of a local newspaper about them??