Author Topic: Electric MX bikes  (Read 11821 times)

Motoman

Re: Electric MX bikes
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 09:01:18 am »
I think the Zero is around $10,000.00 and a spare battery $3000.00. In a perfect world I'd add one to my collection

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 09:13:50 am »
I think the Zero is around $10,000.00 and a spare battery $3000.00. In a perfect world I'd add one to my collection
..........not bad price really it you want to ride in the suburbs and wave to your neighbors on your new electric wizz   ;D  New KTM 450 in the shop windows are 14k  :P
cheers
Best is in the West !!

oldfart

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 09:13:54 am »
Next you will be telling me they will be enviromently friendy  ???  pigs arse they are.

Offline BultacoMacca

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 01:04:26 pm »
Here's a link to some info on the bikes used in Tony T's  Enduro footage
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_0910_2009_quantya_evo1_strada/index.html

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 01:05:34 pm »
Got any info on that, fart?

I know (and agree with) the arguments against the green cred of a Prius, but haven't seen anything on the Zero.
My gut feeling is that the Zero will be a lot less hypocritical than the Prius as it has no petrol motor, much smaller battery packs, etc etc.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 02:55:11 pm »
with you oldfart.you still have to dig up the raw materails.go thru the production etc.i buy one,charge it (fossil fuel) ride it.how`s my carbon foot print now. 

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 11:55:43 pm »
Show me anything remotely sexy about an electric vehicle......................................... 8)
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 12:04:31 am »
Show me anything remotely sexy about an electric vehicle......................................... 8)

ADB Feb Mag = While filming a segment the 27 year old Miss Universe Erin McNaught (Aust) lost her balance and fell, accidentally twisting the throttle of the electric dirt bike she was throwing a luscious leg over. McNaught's finger was partially severed.............now if this was a two stroke (for Jesus  ;)  ) do you think this incident would of happen....."NO"....
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 07:51:25 am »
Lozza, I'm struggling to find anything remtely sexy about a race-spec TS400, but that doesn't stop it being fun to ride.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mx250

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 08:22:25 am »

I know (and agree with) the arguments against the green cred of a Prius, but haven't seen anything on the Zero.
My gut feeling is that the Zero will be a lot less hypocritical than the Prius as it has no petrol motor, much smaller battery packs, etc etc.

'Energy can be neither created nor destroyed'. Leaving the Carbon Footprint of development and production, and the potential bio hazard pollution of production and disposal of nic cad batteries to one side, the energy to run the bike as to come from somewhere.

Currently for trail riding at Yass you either go to a servo and get energy/petrol store as hydrocarbons 600 million years ago and then release the carbon in the Yass environs, or you plug into the electricity grid and use electrical energy created by burning energy/coal store as hydrocarbons 600 million years ago in a Power station in the Hunter Valley and then release the carbon into the Hunter environs.

Unless the electricity is produced by a sustainable means such as wind power, wave power or solar, the electricity is not green but simply moves the source and concentration of the carbon pollution. (And please don't argue Nuclear - the unaddressed safety and environmental issues associated with nuclear and in particular nuclear waste are proven and just as great if not greater than Global warming.)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 09:58:42 am »
Lozza, I'm struggling to find anything remtely sexy about a race-spec TS400, but that doesn't stop it being fun to ride.

;D and DT125's  more looking at them there is nothing 'exciting' about them, there are no aftermarket bling gold anodised anything you can't even put a red plug cap on......................
Hydrogen powered vehicles will be what we use the future.
Jesus only loves two strokes

monaro308

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 10:17:50 am »
Will the electricity company reimburse me for the loss of a days wages when the grid goes down during the night and it hasn't recharged my new Yamaha WR450E,C/dore EE/V Sportwagon or the GSXR750kW.

I will have to rip out the jerry-can holders on the trailer and replace them with battery holders.
I unrap my new tool kit that comes with the WR450E....hmmm a battery post cleaner,2 spare brushes, a can of contact cleaner.

The spares kit will contain a 3ft long earth strap  :D
A 10cent resistor that eliminates the ADR required 10v voltage drop @20ft to give you the full 48volts.
An air duct that fits on top of the armature to cool it down.
An Anderson plug to hard wire into the bike to enable jumpstarting you or your mates (although you will have to sit there for at least 1 hour and then end up discharging your mates bike  ;D) whilst you roost away from him....and the "cycle" begins again.

You and 20 mates do a river crossing and you look back and see 100 dead fish floating on the surface..although you now know what you are all having for dinner...which aint bad.

Then ordering your new fandango sticker kit....Danger-high voltage,the shocked x-rayed skeleton head in a helmet, and the "What did the baby light bulb say to the mummy light bulb? "I love you watts and watts!" sticker.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 11:06:22 am »

'Energy can be neither created nor destroyed'. Leaving the Carbon Footprint of development and production, and the potential bio hazard pollution of production and disposal of nic cad batteries to one side, the energy to run the bike as to come from somewhere.

Currently for trail riding at Yass you either go to a servo and get energy/petrol store as hydrocarbons 600 million years ago and then release the carbon in the Yass environs, or you plug into the electricity grid and use electrical energy created by burning energy/coal store as hydrocarbons 600 million years ago in a Power station in the Hunter Valley and then release the carbon into the Hunter environs.

Unless the electricity is produced by a sustainable means such as wind power, wave power or solar, the electricity is not green but simply moves the source and concentration of the carbon pollution. (And please don't argue Nuclear - the unaddressed safety and environmental issues associated with nuclear and in particular nuclear waste are proven and just as great if not greater than Global warming.)

All of which is (should be!) well understood. I remember a statistic from 10~15 years ago, which basically said that it took a new car 7 or 8 years to 'pay off' the environmental impact of its production.
In other words, the amount of energy used to make the new car, was seven years' difference in fuel economy (compared to an older car).
Now that new cars are 'all' EFI and fuel economy improvements are much smaller than they were 15 years ago, I suspect that it takes even longer than 8 years before a new car is environmentally justified (new era turbo Diesels aside).

The Prius fails to live up to its environmental promise because its production involves a full petrol powered car, plus all of the electric stuff.
At the end of the vehicle's life, the batteries are also an enviromental problem.

The Zero, on the other hand, has none of the environmental production costs that a petrol engine brings with it, it weighs less than a conventional bike, and the battery packs are much smaller. Hence my questioning of whether they're really worse than a normal bike.

The generation of electricity to charge a Zero can be purchased as Green Power from (I believe) every commercial electricity provider in the country, so that's a bit of a non-issue.
You wouldn't even have to be super keen to set yourself up with a fairly dinky home solar set up just to charge your Zero (or whatever).

I do agree with Lozza's assessment that we're far more likely to end up with some form of fuel cell/hydrogen power than battery electricity. The most likely exception is if there's a sudden break-through in battery technology.

Motoman

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:03 pm »
I think we've gone full circle here guys....push bikes and motor bikes (petrol). Can't go wrong there!

Motoman

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 12:15:46 pm »
until something better comes along anyway. I'm still waiting for the Jetson's cars and scooters to come on the market! LEE ROY!!