Author Topic: budget bikes?  (Read 62967 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: budget bikes?
« Reply #255 on: November 24, 2009, 01:27:01 pm »
you can see from that how channeled the tank on the Cheney framed BSA is, seems to be a  common modification with all the top Brit B44s. Allows you to get over the front wheel more.
formerly Marc.com

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 24, 2009, 01:34:28 pm »
I had B44 one on the Beeza and now have GP tank it is way smaller
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

firko

« Reply #257 on: November 24, 2009, 01:54:53 pm »
That's Bazzas yellow B44 tank on the previous page.

mainline

« Reply #258 on: November 24, 2009, 07:16:58 pm »
cheers again guys. I guess I'll mock it up with some sort of seat and see if I can get it looking the way i want it before I go looking for another tank.

I'm not trying to make the bike look like it has a safety seat on it ;D but I just really like the proportions of that Cheney BSA. I can't afford the frame or the other paraphenalia that goes with it, but I'm pretty sure I can get it close aesthetically (even if it weighs 40 kgs more ;D)

firko

« Reply #259 on: November 24, 2009, 07:41:33 pm »
I reckon the tank you've got is a cool period thing, especially for a B40.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 24, 2009, 07:58:26 pm »
I reckon the tank you've got is a cool period thing, especially for a B40.

Nah its crap, hack the bottom out of it and drop it down on the motor. Make the seat the same height as the top of the tank and then show the frame some love with some swingarm work, I would weld top brace in and make it stiffer but light.
formerly Marc.com

mainline

« Reply #261 on: November 25, 2009, 05:47:56 pm »
mmmm... I dunno about cutting it up. I think the seat on the last BSA pictured is pretty bloody flat which doesn't help things. Actually there's a few bits on that bike that don't help ;D

What do you have in mind though re the swingarm and bracing?

I had intended to lose a few bits of excess bracketry later on to lighten things up after I'd bolted everything in place.

mainline

« Reply #262 on: November 25, 2009, 05:55:34 pm »

firko

« Reply #263 on: November 25, 2009, 07:20:00 pm »
It all comes down to what you want out of your bike Paul. If you want to build a competitive racer you've probably got the wrong combo. If you're attempting to build a good fun bike to cut a few fun laps with the old farts, you're on your way. Building your B40 to look like those Brit Cheneys takes away any historical relevence your bike posesses. Those  Cheney B44s have little resemblence to what was actually raced in the pre 65 era. Just look at Jonesys Cheney which first raced in 1965. It's nothing like the bikes Simon Cheny builds. Chopping and channeling tanks, building up seats, fitting Grimeca hubs and Marzocci forks undoubtedly makes them better race bikes but they're nothing like the bikes ridden during the pre 65 period. Those Brit Cheney Beezas have little in common with what the pre 65 class was developed for, it's a classic example of what happens when you allow open slather on eligibility criteria.

I'm the poster child for building hot rod bikes but I reckon we have to keep them within the parameters of what was accepted and used during the period we're building the bikes for. Your tank might not fit into a modern perspective of what the class is about but it's most definitely more historically correct.

mainline

« Reply #264 on: November 25, 2009, 07:56:04 pm »
Fair call. I suppose the main aspect I have a problem with is the massive nut-cracking gap between the seat and the tank on a lot of the old bikes ;D

Like I said earlier, I won't start chopping things up, I'll piece it together and see how it all fits, and go from there. If I re-jig the seat a little to keep my manhood intact, well... I certainly won't be fitting a seat from an 86 Cr250 :D

I know where you're coming from with regards to keeping things era-correct. As far as chopping cars up goes, my custom car preferences are definately late 40's, early 50's traditional customs. I'm not a fan of big billet wheels, modern interiors, or late model mercedes headlights. While we're at it the whole matt black thing has gone on far too long.

But back to bikes, I suppose me carrying on about the tank is more about not being able to find many pictures of that style tank on any of the old racebikes I've looked at. I picked up a copy of that book that Jikov mentioned, and pretty much every BSA in it has a tank more like the GP style.

Anyhow, thanks for the ongoing help.

Cheers
Paul

mx250

« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2009, 07:17:01 pm »

firko

« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2009, 11:13:28 pm »
Yep, that's an ugly Enfield. This one shows that if you've got a good eye for proportions and use of the right parts, ugly ducklings can turn out OK.

mainline

« Reply #267 on: November 27, 2009, 07:46:44 am »
that seat definately needs a touch more padding ;D especially over the tank bolt :o

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 27, 2009, 09:34:47 am »
"the seat needs more cushion over the mount bolt"
Maybe try some progressive coils under the seat, Wally will have the right ones.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 27, 2009, 09:54:59 am »
that green #435 Enfield looks pretty sweet...  8)
but i think the seat looks out of place.
"flat bickie"