Author Topic: budget bikes?  (Read 62962 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: budget bikes?
« Reply #240 on: November 22, 2009, 03:31:29 pm »
Both are Cheney framed so maybe Cheney replica GP tanks. The twin is the most beautiful British bike on the planet and the B44 (500) was pre 65 champ I think two years ago.
formerly Marc.com

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #241 on: November 22, 2009, 04:29:12 pm »
yeah replicas or standard B44 victor special/victor enduro tanks. The genuine GP tanks didn’t have a flip up monza cap, they just had a plastic bung/plug.

You can get universal alloy tanks for B44's from Sammy Miller in UK but they dont quite looke like a B44 tank.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

mainline

« Reply #242 on: November 22, 2009, 08:00:57 pm »
but they dont quite looke like a B44 tank

Were there different versions of this tank? I've looked at quite a few of the mobs who do both replica tanks, and those who do complete replica bikes. To my eyes they all seem to be slightly different.

The tank on the Cheney BSA in the pic looks taller than the Triumph powered bike. It may also be a different shape to the one in the pic that Firko posted, but I think the taller seat on the Cheney BSA may be causing an optical illusion.

Are these starting to become like Cobra replicas, where some of them just aren't quite right?

Sorry to seem pedantic, that's just me ;D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #243 on: November 22, 2009, 08:39:27 pm »
With the genuine B44 tanks they were all the same shape but the road models had an bit extra capicity compared to the GP and also the road models had the flip up cap.

There are a number of places doing replica or universal alloy tanks which  dont exactly look the same as a B44 tank but they do 'fit'
This is the universal BSA tank i have seen which is also available from speed and sport in usa
http://www.sammymillerproducts.co.uk/372

http://www.speedandsport.com/flyer.html#tank

There used to be photos of this tank but i cant seem to find them now.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 23, 2009, 08:48:14 am »
but they dont quite looke like a B44 tank
The tank on the Cheney BSA in the pic looks taller than the Triumph powered bike. It may also be a different shape to the one in the pic that Firko posted, but I think the taller seat on the Cheney BSA may be causing an optical illusion.
Sorry to seem pedantic, that's just me ;D

The Brits pre 65 scene is much more interesting/developed, popular mod is to channel the B44 tank so it sits lower and use a taller seat.

BSA has 500ccs and methanol and I imagine that little jigger is somewhat more fun than an early 2 stroke. I building my own Cheney to be the same level.
formerly Marc.com

clutchslip

« Reply #245 on: November 23, 2009, 09:10:45 am »

firko

« Reply #246 on: November 23, 2009, 01:17:44 pm »
Cheney used a number of different tanks including the tank that's shown above which very much like a B44GP shape. My own Cheney has a different tank again, with mounting bolts through the side of the tank. It sucks but that's the way the old prick made them. After Geoff Morris's magnificent resto on mine, I couldn't stand getting it dented so I'll race my Cheney with a fibreglass B44 replica tank I picked up for $20 on eBay. Besides mine below, shown in the back of the Cheep, another is shown on a Cheney Husky. It's the only other I've seen the same.

firko

« Reply #247 on: November 23, 2009, 03:28:13 pm »
The cost of pre 65 compatible tanks has gone ballistic in recent times so I've been looking into alternatives. As I mentioned earlier I managed to find a 'Fibreglass Works, Santa Cruz' made proper shape fibreglass replica B44 GP tank for $20. It'd been mistakenly listed as a Carabela tank but the BSA style bung cap and shape gave it away. While chasing American Eagle stuff, I've discovered that the fibreglass AE/Sprite tank is also a pretty good alternative for a pre 65 project. There are 1.5 and 2.5 gallon versions and the bigger one especially looks very Beeza like. The smaller (orange version) still looks pretty good though. Below are two of my AE tanks, picked up for less than $50 each. The orange tank is the one that arrived from the USA still containing petrol! Worth checking out.

mainline

« Reply #249 on: November 23, 2009, 08:25:03 pm »
popular mod is to channel the B44 tank so it sits lower

now you're talking my language ;) I'm thinking I might french the front number plate, and shave the handles while I'm at it :D   have you got a custom (kustom) lurking somewhere by chance?

Anyhow, this is the tank I've got

I should probably just carry on and use it, but the tank on that 500 BSA just looks perfect.

Thanks guys
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:32:11 pm by mainline »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 23, 2009, 09:03:59 pm »
dropping the tank and running a high seat apparently make the bike feel more modern
formerly Marc.com

mainline

« Reply #251 on: November 23, 2009, 09:55:11 pm »
I'm picking up what you're putting down, i thought you may have been into 50's customs though when you used the 'channel' reference 

firko

« Reply #252 on: November 23, 2009, 10:59:15 pm »
Paul is your tank steel or alloy? I thought it might be similar to that on Jonesys Cheney but I don't think it is on second look.
Speaking of chopping, channeling and seeing your humpy ute in the photo reminds me....I saw the best FJ ute ever a week or so ago. it's still under construction but is a work of art. It has a 5.7 litre Chrysler 300c Hemi with aftermarket fuel injection, late Corvette rear suspension, Jag front end and all sorts of bells and whistles. I'm not so into hi tech hotties but this car blew me away. His aim is for a top 10 Summernats finish in 2011. Sorry for the hijack but being a car guy I thought it right to report it...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:07:54 pm by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 24, 2009, 12:30:21 am »
I'm picking up what you're putting down, i thought you may have been into 50's customs though when you used the 'channel' reference 

Yep some of my friends build cars so familiar with the whole chopping and channeling thing, building a good car is like building 20 dirtbikes in one. You have to admire the car guys
formerly Marc.com

mainline

« Reply #254 on: November 24, 2009, 07:11:56 am »
no worries on the hijack Firko, if I'm not talking about bikes I'd be probably talking about cars :D

The tank is alloy, I think it is more squat than the one on Jonesy's bike. I think it is the same as this one