Author Topic: What are we doing wrong in NSW?  (Read 9964 times)

magoo

Re: What are we doing wrong in NSW?
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2009, 01:29:25 pm »
So far we've had heaps of positive feedback with little finger pointing which is good. For VMX to go forward we need people turning up and it is across the board, just ask Donnie in Coffs Harbour how much hair he had before he tried to get people turning up to his brilliant events. I know for a fact very few old time racers have sold their bikes, we just need to get them out and riding.
The grass track close to Sydney would be a great idea if it can be done. Some of the Sydney tracks can't be used like Appin is only used by the MacArthur club and Picton can only be used twice a year, both of which are Macarthur club events. They won't hire it out and Wollondilly Council won't allow any more thn 2 events per year. Kembla is really harsh on the old bikes and old bodies. Would splitting the eras, something like vintage and post vintage? Just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:56:04 pm by magoo »

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2009, 06:53:43 pm »
Interesting thread!
For the states that pay Flaggies......how much does it cost you? has this been going on long?
Also here in Tas., I believe that you can't just pay the landowner.....you also have to pay the local council (quite a bit apparently)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2009, 09:28:07 pm »
Interesting thread!
For the states that pay Flaggies......how much does it cost you? has this been going on long?
Also here in Tas., I believe that you can't just pay the landowner.....you also have to pay the local council (quite a bit apparently)

flaggies for an open modern event is usually a donation ranging from $200-$1000.
$25 a flag point usually,free lunch and cool drinks.
Other events, its bring a mate and I've seen the racing stop due to not enough flags on the track.

ps:Loved Crawford River Classic promo video on youtube-looks like a bonza.  :o
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Damo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2009, 01:25:20 pm »
Been talking to a few of my Northern and Southern buddies over the last couple of weeks and I can't help but ask, what are we doing wrong in N.S.W. as far as entries are concerned? Viper and QVMX are regularly getting well over the 100 rider mark at regular club days, where here in N.S.W.  we're lucky to get half that.
I've got a couple of theories, the main one being flaggies. In N.S.W. we can't get any local volunteers to flag where the Viccos and Qld guys just ride without having to worry about flagging, therefore having a smooth flow through the meetings. I also think that our focus on the older bikes who don't support the club by turning up is an issue. QVMX last week with 35 PRE "85 250s ( that's right, 250s only) and 20 pre '90's must be food for thought.
Whadda you guys reckon
P.S. This is not an attack on anyone or any club, just trying to constructively bring on some debate, new ideas.

To answer Magoo's question bluntly.

NO Pre "90" class

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2009, 02:56:56 pm »
As has been previously stated,most of the VMX riders in Qld are concentrated around the Southeast with another club around Capricornia( I think) and most have ready access to several natural terrain and one inner city track.You guys appear to be spread out a lot further.Am I right in assuming most of the riders come from the Sydney/Canberra regions?Do you have a natural terrain track around Goulburn or do they have a motorcycle club with their own track you could utilise?As Holeshot said  the SES are happy to do flagging for us,we seem to have more trouble getting officials and are looking at ways to rectify this.Our club doesnt have a championship but that doesnt seem to have discouraged riders and may even  encourage more.There are also a few guys with bikeshops heavily involved up here and that helps with keeping everything networked as well as repairs to older bikes.We are always on the lookout for alternate venues as well as evidenced by last weekends practice day at Cooroy which attracted about 50 riders.These are just observations about what happens up here.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2009, 06:22:51 pm »
My Answer, MA-NSW, bunch of useless farkin twits with no idea whatsoever, to busy shinning up there badges to be interested in motor sport, until of course they can assert their authority. (sorry I have long term issues with the total incompenence of this organisation ::))

Anouther is that most NSW are in the Sydney basin, and it is imposible to hold an event reasonably close to anywhere so someone always has to travel long distances and it all becomes too furking hard.

My suggestion is similar to Damo's, do you remember how big the Thumper Nats were in the mid nineties ?
It was based aroud C grade riders on less than competitive bikes (4 Strokes of that Error)
with twin shock support classes
Maybe a pre 90 and a pre 95 4 stoke class is what is needed, it shure would drag some of the old thumper natters out of the woodwork, it may even get them interested in vintage racing?

Flagging has always been the biggest issue with Club racing, has anyone ever thought about approaching  bush fire brigades local to the tracks beig raced at?, I would pay $20 extra to race if there were bush fire brigade flaggies and their brigade was getting it as a donation, knowing them as I do they are a very dedicated group and always trying to raise funds, this could work out as a win-win situation.

5c worth,   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:26:00 pm by E74 »

husky61

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2009, 06:49:15 pm »
How was hawaii

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2009, 06:57:39 pm »
Farkin Unreal!!, You could prop me up on a beach in maui with a MaiTai in my hand for the rest of my days and you would hear no complaints!

Unfortunately I had to come home, but..... I did come home with a three station margeritaville magarita machine!!

Did I mention that I am building a sports bar in my shed??
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:03:37 pm by E74 »

husky61

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2009, 12:21:09 pm »
Same thing for us regrding Maui and

No you didnt mention the sports bar , i guess we will have to wait until you invite us up for the grand opening.

Three burner margarita machine, at the Olympic margarita drinking championships that is gold medal material .

firko

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2009, 01:29:49 pm »
Farkin Unreal!!, You could prop me up on a beach in maui with a MaiTai in my hand for the rest of my days and you would hear no complaints!
Gotta admit I've also got a soft spot for Hawaii and Maui and Kaui in particular. One of lifes little pleasures is hitting happy hour at Moose McGillicuddys and getting stuck into a couple of half price Mai Tais. It really sets you up for a night on the Kahului party strip. I know it's a bit like Surfers Paradise but I like Waikiki as well.

That's a first division margarita blender Darren, the Rolls Royce of such devices! If you're going to CD6 we're debuting a new blender to the world to match the previous years Maico and Jawa speedway themed gizmos and will also have an electric backup unit ;D. Drop in for a Margarita, Mai Tai,Banana Daquri or even a soothing Pina Colada ;).....

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:32:05 pm by firko »

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2009, 02:05:24 pm »
I hope you guys have a great big box of those little umbrellas to put in your drinks.

Nothing says VMX more than big, boofy blokes sipping on their cocktails!

This is getting out of hand!!
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

firko

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2009, 02:16:46 pm »
Yep, as a matter of fact we sure have those little brollys for the Mai Tais, printed up Klub Kevlar coasters and those twirly straw things too.
Nearly every pit at an American vintage race has the margarita/blender/exotic beer/chili thing happening after the races. It's all about cameraderie and good times.
Out of hand? ??? Never. :-*

(Which brings this post straight back to the thread focus. In my opinion one of the things that's currently wrong with the sport in NSW is that the cameraderie/fun has declined over the years. Anyone who has memories of the old Condo Greybeards two day event and the early Nats will surely agree that the fun factor is way down these days. All we're trying to do is to revive those good times. It's not about the cocktails, it's about the cameraderie)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:25:39 pm by firko »

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2009, 02:21:57 pm »
2 out of 4 ain't bad!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

husky61

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2009, 02:43:27 pm »
Dukes bar at Waikiki , Sunday afternoon , live music and half price drinks.

Incredients for a very slow Monday.

Coasters and umbrella's  :o i say yeh yeh yeh , let the goodtimes roll

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2009, 03:31:04 pm »
Firko,
Step down carefully from the soapbox. It was a joke, remember them!!
VMX42

jeeezzzzzz!!!!!!