Author Topic: Lest we Forget.  (Read 30324 times)

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Lest we Forget.
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 06:42:28 pm »
it's not for the politics of war but those who are challenged to face it!

LEST WE FORGET, HONOURED TO FLY OUR FLAG AT HALF MAST FOR THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN CHALLENGED!

Cheers Trev

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 08:22:30 pm »
I always find it difficult to hold composure when I hear the Last Post played, the throat tightens and the eyes swell.
While we rightfully pay hommage to April 25 and all it means to both Australian and New Zealanders sacrifices, we should also spare a thought for all casualties of war. Those black and white battlefield pics earlier just depicts the fruitility of war. When we talk of sacrifice, we should also think of and have consideration of the many lives lost and families affected of those we fought against, all lives are precious. It's politics and misguided visions that cause most conflict as we know very well with the current conflicts in Iraq and Afganistan.
Lest We Forget

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 06:32:17 pm »
I always find it difficult to hold composure when I hear the Last Post played, the throat tightens and the eyes swell.

Found myself in this situation today as we had our service early,due to the Easter holidays.Very Very humbling to prepare ex-soldiers for the morning service.
Dont know where we will be for Anzac Broadford,Kilmore or Melbourne..
Thanks for making our country so free.
Best is in the West !!

Curly3

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 09:13:59 pm »
I totally agree.
The Last Post gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.
One day I'd love to get over to Gallipoli, but I don't think I could handle the emotion of being there on ANZAC Day.
Lest we Forget.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 09:40:26 am »
I grew up.  I do NOT attend. I will NOT clap.  You will not understand. I don't care.

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 12:44:16 pm »
You grew up.... maybe only physically. 

It would be nice if you kept that to yourself at this time of year. Thanks.

Offline Husky70

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 12:50:33 pm »
Just ignore the troll, Hardo. This is the same guy who posted a few weeks ago that the Japs' conduct in WW2 was "awesome". I know who I will be remembering  - always, but especially on Monday.

mx250

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 02:55:42 pm »
I grew up.  I do NOT attend. I will NOT clap.  You will not understand. I don't care.

I can understand that and I can respect that but I think you are focused on the war and the violence. I don't see that. I see a bunch of guys who were prepared to serve their country and were prepared to give up so much for the greater good. They gave up their youth, their health, their comfort, so much more and were prepared to give their life.

I'll be there, not just in the crowd but I'll meet with my Dad's old mates of the 2/4th Field Regt. (I'll be there to carry the banner if they want, but these days that honour normally falls to the grandsons and great grandson/daughters - there are those who still take it as great honour). Back in the '60's the 2/4th use to come down Martin Place 10 abreast and 60 deep, a proud body of friends and mates. This year only 6 will march (they have lost 4 to old age in the last 2 months). Next year it might be none, even the youngest and fittest make heavy weather of the march and the distance.

To me Anzac Day is a National Celebration of Service. I look at each man who marches with respect, humility and thanks.

TooFastTim

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 03:22:41 pm »
we just had an agressive attack here at work, AKs, shotguns and hand grenades - I shit myself I can tell you - these guys truly earned the title heroes because of what they did/went through - I learnt the other night I couldn't do it - and my hats off to the guys/girls in Iraq/Afghanistan etc as we speak!

Rossco

Welcome to Africa. I had a few of those. Reason to leave.

Barely a day goes past without me thanking the soldiers and women who made that sacrifice.

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 05:13:27 pm »
Yes it is easy to ignore ignorant comments - but we should all respect each others opinions.
It hit a button I suppose, as my Grandfather served for the Australian Army in WWII, and I have served in the Air Force (and still do full time) since 1989.

ANZAC should not, and NEVER should "glorify" war or any atrocities associated with battle. It is a day of National respect for our ancestors, Fathers, Mothers, Brothers, Sisters, Cousins, Friends and my very own peers.

Lest we Forget indeed.

:)

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 08:18:10 pm »
it saddens me the "lukeb1961" has such a poor attitude towards the men who gave him the ability to express his opinion. if it was not for them, you might not be here! have you give that some consideration?

we need to take pity on uneducated people such as "lukeb1961" and maybe help him understand what has been sacrificed for him.

"Lest we Forget"

Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 05:38:33 am »
i will recieve my grandfathers war medals when he passes he's in his 90's still gets around quite well.they will be proudly displayed in my loungeroom display cabinet.cheers gary.

lest we forget

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 12:45:31 pm »
it saddens me the "lukeb1961" has such a poor attitude towards the men who gave him the ability to express his opinion. if it was not for them, you might not be here! have you give that some consideration?

we need to take pity on uneducated people such as "lukeb1961" and maybe help him understand what has been sacrificed for him.

"Lest we Forget"

I am proud to here those words  Nada coming from the heart, your grandfather would have been so proud of you, its a shame you didn`t meet him, he died to young, thank you to the men that saved our country, We will never ever for get. But as for you Likeb1961, you need to re-think your comments.

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 01:19:30 pm »
We had a very wet one for the dawn parade, I was very proud to see my daughter in uniform wearing my great great uncles WW1 medals, he lasted one week at Gallipoli.

Lest we forget.
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 11:13:57 am »
my son pushed his grandfather ,my father in law, on monday,it was a 4hr operation to get him there.his life is being measured in days know so it is his last one,he also laid a wreath as well.spent most of the war in a german pow camp after having 2 ships torpedoed from under him. so luke whatever pull your head it was an offensive remark >:(