Author Topic: 500AE new in the crate  (Read 7520 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: 500AE new in the crate
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:32:32 pm »
Very nice. But no way could I leave it in the crate - I'd have to assemble it so I could actually see it as a motorcycle!

albrid-3

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:30:15 pm »
I owned a cz 250 brand new still in its crate, didn`t have the heart to remove it, every time l walked into my shed, l would open the lid and looked at it and then put the lid down.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:33:00 pm »
I owned a cz 250 brand new still in its crate, didn`t have the heart to remove it, every time l walked into my shed, l would open the lid and looked at it and then put the lid down.

where is it now ?
cheers alison
Best is in the West !!

albrid-3

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:54:15 pm »
 peter drakeford has it, l ????

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 08:53:56 am »
peter drakeford has it, l ????

Cool,just not a great believer of museums and a large amount of bikes staying in crates forever,
even if they do lose money once out and dirty. ;)   ;D
Cheers alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 09:58:18 am »
Hi
Motor bikes in boxes, Cockatoos in a cage , Wild animals imprisoned in a Zoo, thats not the way its meant to be.

Oggy Doggy

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 10:09:47 am »
So true. Have a look at the never ridden RG Suzuki over on the "Global Financial Crisis' thread. I just don't get the new bike hoarders. Back in the early days of Sydney VMX a local racer found a new, unridden CR250 Elsinore and immediately started racing it. We were all shocked that he'd do such a thing but in the end he used the bike for what it was created for and it's given him 20 years of faithful service.  He's still got it to this day and it still sees the occasional race and it'd have to be the only Elsinore thats whole racing career has been in the vintage scene.

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 10:44:41 am »
Hi ,
I'll bet that the guy who owns the CR250 has got a bigger smile now he can ride it  , than when all he could do was just look at it in a box and imagine,
mind you I dont understand Nintendo Wii either,
 "you will never get a great scar, or a ride in an Ambulance, sitting on the sofa"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 10:47:15 am by jikov »

mx250

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 12:00:25 pm »
Each to their own, although a NOS still in the crate seems extremely anal to me.

To me a motorcycle is something that moves and breaths and pops monos 8), and has the personality and character to spit its spark plug out on the start line of the Club Finals :-[.

A display motorcycle has reduced relevance as a  'object de arts'. Some pleasure can be had by staring and admiring - last about 30 seconds, probably my short concentration span :P .

A motorcycle in a crate is an ugly crate to avoid or trip over ::).

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 01:14:47 pm »
i would much rather see it at least assembled and maybe taken for a gentle trail ride every so often, perhaps with some cheaper afternmarket/replica plastcs so they stay looking good for show use. i dont really see the point to just keep in it a crate.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 06:46:34 pm »
Some people treasure their bikes  more and choose carefull ,if and when they want to use them . Remember VMX is not all just racing , its preserving an era .  It can depend on the owners age and health too.

Sure each to their own, I have some good ones that would be a shame to trash (or dent the tanks) and I have some riders, that are bikes that I can get never ending parts for. Not sure about leaving a bike in it's crate, like leaving the presents wrapped at Xmas....weird.

formerly Marc.com

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 07:03:54 pm »
I'd gut the bugger out and ride the bejeeezuz outa it.... ;D

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 06:45:38 pm »
I am astounded that the new 500 Auto in the crate didn't get a single bid. If that was in Australia , I would have been happy to pay the equivalent ($10K AUD) for it . Had the bike been a new '81 Maico 490 in the crate, it would have went for a stupid amount of money . My 500AE is probably my favourite bike (& I own a lot of bikes , including an '81 Maico MC490) . I am of the opinion that the big Auto Husky it is probably the most under-rated open class evolution bike out there . I think that Husqvarna wrongly marketed the 500AE as an enduro bike & should really have pushed it as a dedicated MX bike. In enduro situations the motor gets too hot , because of the friction from the slipping clutches & loses power . But on a motocross track, when the conditions suit the Auto, it almost feels like you are cheating . No wonder Jody Weisel from MXA wrote that he had never gone faster on any bike, than on a Husky 500 Auto (he also said that he never managed to finish a race on it) & I think he would have ridden a few motocross bikes in his time .