Author Topic: Starting rollers  (Read 14815 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Starting rollers
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:52:57 pm »
Just finished restoring a 73CCM 580. I know they had a very interesting start technique. She will roll start down a nice hill, but I need to gently roll on the throttle after the pop,pop,pop before she lights up. Roll the throttle too early and its lock and slide. Being 52, with raging gout in ankles badly broken fom speedway accidents years ago, kick starting it basically impossible. (managed it once when she was nice and warm and then found walking (hobbling)intertsting for the next two days) Wondering if anyone as ideas how a set of rollers or road racer starters could be used to make starting an easier chore. She a 580cc with 11 to 1 comp, running motoplat ignition through standard amal and 100 octane fuel. Mikuni may help a little but probably not enough. This email is directed towards the old boy brigade as I know you fit younguns wouldn't have any trouble! Interesting my 18 year old who rides a 250F struggled, just shock his head and walked away after about 10 attempts at trying to start it and ride it, muttering things like everything is in the wrong place and it won't shift under stress for shit. guess age sometimes does have advantages.
NQ Rosco

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Starting rollers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:19:09 pm »
Just give it to me and forget about the rollers ;D Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Naked_Amphibian

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:34:36 pm »
metal frame, 2 boat rollers, 2 sprockets, one cheap grinder a chain and a bit of work
will get some pics if you want

Offline hampster

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:55:58 pm »
Hi,

Not that old and have not got the cash for a CCM but have the same problem with a high compression  XL 350 that chews teeth in the kick start when trying to kick it over.
Has any one got a set up with say a cheap Chinese petrol motor on it for the track?

Chris.

mainline

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 09:10:25 pm »
I like the one at the start of "The Fastest Indian" where he's got the battery connection strapped to his shoe.

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:13:27 pm »
Hi  Rosco
make sure you post a photo , you can never see too many CCM's , there is a great web site , www.b50.org they have a very helpful forum esp. with regards to starting one of these things yes there is a knack, sorry I dont know it , but I need to find out soon as my 75 model  is coming together slowly ,
There was an article on starting rollers  on their forum I'm sure you can  track it down ,  if not , a large can of "Start you Bastard" wont go astray, good luck

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:18:57 pm »
how about something like this !

http://www.greevesmotorcyclesltd.com/tommy.html   (probably bloody expensive from the Poms, but possible to make your own)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:21:05 pm by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 10:26:13 pm »
Hey the lads are right. you can make you own as a roll on with a GMC grinder or a toyota starter motor.  Also as hooney says you can go the Nut on the stator through a drive end.  Both work, i dont have any kickstarter on my flat trackers so i used a centre drive for a while but had issues when i went between bikes, that way is cheaper and easy to take trackside, but draw back as stated.   Roll on with a small marine battery and too rollers is also easy to make or you can buy them out the US for $350 plus post.  Specs are online all over the internet so if you build things you can make them for under $200 even with fancy powder coating.   

Either way will solve the problem, although not the same comp your runing, but i gave up after a race meet when i had to run start for 500 m then ride back to the line, evey time ( somthing just would'nt fire up - and had not kickstarter) i was knacked before the flag dropped.

Also good if your having carby issue and bike wont start even if you could kick it over, run it on and fire in some Aero start an poof something always fires up.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 10:48:00 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:41:14 pm »
Yep fire up the poofs.............Jokes aside Freaky is on the money.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:15:07 pm »
ah a CCM and a roller starter/starter roller  ;D
64 hits on the pic,must be a favorite. 8) 
http://vmxwa.com/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,35/catid,38/
cheers Alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 05:33:48 pm »
I went to a meeting in NQ last year, one group of degenerates had a wide pair of unpowered rollers, put an easy starting bike on one side, and the pig on the other.  Bingo!

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 06:21:54 pm »
Darcy you know that the CCM is far too much bling for Rocky folks, so that is why it must reside in Mackay, agricultural machinery is good for those beef city folks. Wasp can you PM me a contact to talk, also Alison I would be intersted in talking to the CCM owner in the West with the rollers and how he set it up if you know or can contact him. Have seen the ones that drive off the back wheels of a car, but portability and most likely taking the side out of the hilux would not impress the missus. Thought I was the only one until I saw the WA phpto. seems like a plan. Will post a pic when the 18yr old shows me how. Thanks for the replies.
NQ Rosco

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 07:57:03 pm »
The picture below is of a set of starting rollers that I am currently making to start my Yamaha SR500 Salt Lake racer.

The engine is a 5HP Honda stationary engine and I made the rolllers from galvanised steel pipe. The rollers are driven via a vee belt and spin in pillow blocks.  Since taking the picture I have had to alter the drive pulleys and reduce the OD of the rollers as I had difficulty keeping the bike on the rollers.  It seems that I buggered up with my calculations and when I put the front wheel of a bike with a speedo onto the rollers I found that the speedo was reading 93kph, which explained why it was a bit hard keeping the bike in place.

If you go down the route of building a set of rollers and want some info on roller diameter and pulley sizes give us a yell.

CJ

Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 08:14:46 pm »
Oh the shame of it all!

Starting a CCM with a Hoonda. ;D

Nice gadget to have though.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 10:04:38 pm »
Darcy you know that the CCM is far too much bling for Rocky folks, so that is why it must reside in Mackay, agricultural machinery is good for those beef city folks. Wasp can you PM me a contact to talk, also Alison I would be intersted in talking to the CCM owner in the West with the rollers and how he set it up if you know or can contact him. Have seen the ones that drive off the back wheels of a car, but portability and most likely taking the side out of the hilux would not impress the missus. Thought I was the only one until I saw the WA phpto. seems like a plan. Will post a pic when the 18yr old shows me how. Thanks for the replies.
NQ Rosco

We will be catching up with the owner at the next event on  26th April, so will enquire about more info/plans for you.We are heading up to there place early May also,as he was a motor body builder and we are looking at some trailer ideas.I feel we could be in for an interesting trip ahead. cheers Alison
Best is in the West !!