Author Topic: Wacky inventions  (Read 54091 times)

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Wacky inventions
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2009, 05:24:09 pm »
Is there a class for triple shock ???    :-\

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2009, 05:48:24 pm »
At first, I thought "parallel links, OK", but upon further inspection: WTF!?

What's the adjustable bolt thats near where a conventional swingarm pivot bolt for?
What do the frame members bolt on - are they pivots (particularly the one near the top shock mount)?
What does the extra, Yamaha-eqsue bit on the top swing arm do?

Etc.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2009, 06:49:54 pm »
Heres what I see. it is only 2 shocks? the bit over the top strengthens and ties the parrell arms togethere left to right. the bolt in the middle ( where normal s arm should be) adjusts the chain tension by moving the motor a la karts. what do you reckon?
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2009, 07:13:58 pm »
Then what are the adjuster on the axle for?

Also, there's a vertical-ish bit from the front of the 'over the top' part that runs down to behind the swing-arm pivot bit (well, where a normal swing arm pivot would be).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Dino Rider

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2009, 07:38:41 pm »
two chains need to be adjusted

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2009, 07:41:44 pm »
From what I can see The bike has two chains one from the counter shaft sprocket to a lay shaft (where the swing arm pivot should be) and one from the lay shaft to the rear wheel. Hence the adjusters. By having the drive on the pivot point of the swing arm it stops the suspension squatting down under acceleration. This is what BMW have done with there 450s. But with this bike they have made it very complicated.

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2009, 07:50:51 pm »
Fork, I been looking at it on and off for weeks and didn't see the chain setup :-[
Who would jump it? 
cheers
Noel   
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2009, 10:29:42 am »
I love it. Not the tank. Thats just fugly. Where did this come from. At least he used a great motor.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2009, 05:15:56 pm »
The gap between tyre and over the top brace (???) doesn't make sense and it has to move into a free space as the suspension compresses.....not much room there unless its hollow under the seat and tank...room for another shock absorber.....after all, why stop at two chains, two swing arms etc ...make it as complicated as you can  ??? ??? ???

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2009, 06:27:34 pm »
it seems to me that the adjustment for the chain to the countershaft is achieved by means of the slotted hole which would be the axle of the counter shaft, note the adjuster just rear of this point. i would suggest that the swing arm is interesting but far to flimsy to withstand any brutality. looks interesting but a lot of trouble to get the countershaft close but not exactly on the same axis....... looking again it is or can be adjusted to be exactly on the axis! that was very likely the prime motivation for the whole experiment. cheers wally
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2009, 06:46:34 pm »
You'd like to think his metalworking wizardry would have extended to something a little more elaborate in terms of a stand.... :D
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

oldfart

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2009, 07:29:14 pm »
I like it  :)   Bottom arm does all the work , while top secton acts as a brace and travels on an arc past air box
Take particular note of all braces and connecting points . Counter shaft brace is on same plane and heads directly to steering head ......in other words all forces are directed forward

Rear sep up reminds me       "4 link"

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2009, 07:44:29 pm »
Back in '87 I went to the White Power factory in Holland with Hansi Bachtold (4x world champ, sidecar cross) He was sponsred by them at the time and was a development rider. They told me then that linkages were old school and that very soon(!!) they would be able to vale a shock to do everything a linkage does. Enter the PDF system but some 20 yrs later!!
I also remember Skunk Works used to have a linkage system for rear swing arms that was very simple but worked the guts out of normal shocks really quickly-anybody got some of those in the shed?

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2009, 06:36:27 am »
My 85 ATK has no linkage single shock courtousy of MR Ohlins also usd forks . 20 years ahead of its time
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2009, 10:32:57 am »
"in other words all forces are directed forward "

Oldfart,

I don't think so.  If it were true, they would have invented the perpetual motion machine.  Hit a bump and the bike accelerates forward.  ;)