Author Topic: Australian 4 Day Enduro - Vintage Team  (Read 20386 times)

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
Re: Australian 4 Day Enduro - Vintage Team
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2009, 11:07:11 pm »

How about just one Vinduro in Qld first
EML
Why wait for some one to run a Vinduro for you.  Check out the Dalby Moto rides, these have some of the best enduro loops in Oz.  You can go at your own pace and there are plenty of old bikes do them.
http://www.dalbymoto.com.au/index.php?cmd=trailNews&go=true   

Cheers
Noel   
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2009, 10:07:02 am »
Noel, we're off to Dalby to shoe off the sidecars next month so will check it out then.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2009, 07:09:58 pm »
Just looked up next years event, it's on the same weekend as the VMX nats.
It's in Portland NSW.
I don't remember it being in the same state 2 years in a row before.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline VINDURO

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • VINDURO
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2013, 01:46:53 pm »
Thread revival!

I just got a call from someone who wants to enter a Vintage Team in the 2014 A4DE.

I wonder if anyone is keen?

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2013, 02:49:44 pm »
Hell yes.
I've started training already, getting the body into shape by dieting and exercise. This morning I weighed under 100kg; the first time in a loooong time!
At this stage the only bike I own that I would consider riding in a 4 day is the 87 model WR400 as I'm not sure I could fettle the AE500 well enough to finish. (I was also considering buying a modern bike to ride as they will be gentler on my 52 year old body)

What would you ride?

I believe its in Dungog but I don't know the time of year as yet, any idea?

Rego: I believe you can get a permit type registration?

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2013, 03:12:41 pm »
Yes talking to Geoff Ballard is a great idea He would be able to steer you in the right direction.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2013, 04:00:16 pm »
Just checked the MA site; A4DE is provisionally scheduled for 11-16 August.

TM BILL

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2013, 04:33:21 pm »
Where is the 4 day next year ?

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2013, 04:58:35 pm »
Where is the 4 day next year ?

Dungog, NSW I've heard.

Offline Branchy

• B-Grade
  • husky 400 cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2013, 05:11:02 pm »
you heard right gloucester / dungog area and i am currently in the garage looking my 1988 wr430 husky that i believe according to the guy i bought it off it run in the one at cessnock was that 92? just needs a couple of new wheel bearings and shout it some new tread and a bit of tlc and shes ready to roll the boys at heaven / buladelah were gracious enough to let us use it at the vinduro recently and it didnt miss a beat , except for one flat tyre , so i could be in see how a few training sessions go ... drop us a line if you want to have a team , branchy( i will go to the chemist tommorow and and get a fresh batch of happy pills because i must not been thinking when replying to this post)
maybe a trip to gloucester for those boy'z really know how to throw a party ps dont mention dungog (must be some old footy rivalry)

Offline Eddy#36

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2013, 05:23:28 pm »
Thread revival!

I just got a call from someone who wants to enter a Vintage Team in the 2014 A4DE.

I wonder if anyone is keen?

yeah I'd be keen, bikes ready to go

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2013, 05:55:57 pm »
Rose colored classes indeed. A few things to consider. Dungog has large mountains= very big hills.
Cost it costs a bloody lot to do the 4 day say around 4k + bike. Old bikes break all the time new bikes break at the 4 day= unlikely to finish.Old blokes on old bikes go last at the 4day so the ruts are bar deep and the whooops endless. You would need deep full pockets and to be so over prepared that you old bike would need to be better than new. I hope you finish and enjoy yourselfs.   
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline silverfox

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2013, 06:59:40 pm »
I'm keen. I've done about 14/15 odd 4 days. Lots of fun. First one was on a KDX175!!! and a heap on KDX 200's G Ballard did a six day about 5 years ago on an air cooled KDX200 and finished I believe. Bikes will do it no worries, It will be more about the rider being fit enough to keep on time. MX bikes get permits to run on the roads, and usually organized for you, but you pay. I'm trying to get a vintage class,pre 90 or whatever, maybe 95, any capacity, in our state title rounds next year to open the racing up to more people who cannot afford the latest bikes.. Think it would be a good thing.
I would not have any problem running a KDX200 or similar in a 4 day. Would think you would want to make it a pre 90 bike for a 4 day, to give the averge guy a shot at finishing. Or you couls ask them to put in a 2 day class for vets on vets!!!
To many, 72 Husky CR400, 73 Husky CR250, 77 RM370 x 2, 77 & 79 Honda CR125, 77 AW400, 82 CR480, 87 430 auto, 79 Honda 500/ Husky hybird

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2013, 08:05:33 pm »
Rose colored classes indeed. A few things to consider. Dungog has large mountains= very big hills.
Cost it costs a bloody lot to do the 4 day say around 4k + bike. Old bikes break all the time new bikes break at the 4 day= unlikely to finish.Old blokes on old bikes go last at the 4day so the ruts are bar deep and the whooops endless. You would need deep full pockets and to be so over prepared that you old bike would need to be better than new. I hope you finish and enjoy yourselfs.

So you're not in then?

The hills haven't gotten any bigger, so that's not really a problem.
A fully rebuilt old bike is basically new; obviously you need to prepare the bike well if you want to finish. (Husky 400's are pretty reliable and easy to ride)
Fair comment about ruts and whoops when starting last. It's something I've been considering, you don't necessarily have to enter in the 'Veterans' (35+) or 'Masters' (45+) classes you could enter in E1,2 or 3. But to gain a real  benefit you would want to ride in the E1 class. These young guys don't roll over anything, its just wind on the throttle and dig a big rut.

So if you prepare the bike well you come face to face with the biggest hurdle - the preparation of the body, for anyone that hasn't tackled a 4 day before you need to be extremely fit. For those that have you know all about how tough is gets to get out of bed each morning. The good news is that its in August so there is plenty of time to train (not to put off starting, but to get fit  :) ) and there are many rounds of the AORC and hopefully the NSW series prior to the A4DE to assess your ride fitness and bike preparation for that matter. This year in NSW, you could trail ride the series (inc AORC rounds) for less cost if you wanted to, which would be good for practice, unless a plastic trophy is important to you.

As for money - what was the entry fee this year? Why leave it for the kids to spend when you're gone?

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2013, 08:22:33 pm »
Without trying to pour water on the idea I raced an 87 Husky at the 4 day in 88 and it broke strange parts like the front disk, motor mount bolts and rear hub and this was a new bike. A late 80's KDX 200 with mid 90's forks and brake setup would be my idea if I went Vintage. 
Much respect for anyone who has a go.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle