Author Topic: Australian 4 Day Enduro - Vintage Team  (Read 20382 times)

IT490K

Australian 4 Day Enduro - Vintage Team
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:41:42 am »
I have looked at the Orange event and that is what sparked my idea.
It is however VERY costly to enter the event as an 'individual' your looking at $525.

Not to mention your bike, fuel & parts costs for the 4 days.

The reason I mentioned it is that I think it would be a real test of man and machine.
A test that I would like to have a crack at.

I am no 'hot rider' myself so I would be more focussed on completing the event! LOL
That being said I would be going as fast as I possibly could.

It would need to be a planned approach aiming for next years A4DE wherever that may
be. Orange was quite appealing as it is near my home town of Cowra but there isn't
enough time prior to the Orange event to organise everything.

To cover the costs of partaking in such an event I would be looking to put together a
"Team" of riders and then seek sponsorship to cover the costs.

As a vintage contingent we would be able to get a mountain of press coverage for the
sponsors, and I think the concept of old vs brand new will be received well.

Jock
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:19:18 pm by IT490K »

maicoman

Re: Australian 4 Day Enduro - Vintage Team
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 12:50:58 pm »
I'd be in that. Would we all have to ride the same brand of bike?

husky61

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 02:06:14 pm »
Count me in

I will ride it in a vintage team with you guy's, as long as i can pick my ride.

I have never ridden a four day event only two day events, i reckon i could do the four days as long as the old bike holds up its end of the bargain.

(Pete) you want crew for me.

Shoey

mx250

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 02:15:49 pm »
From what I've seen the trails and the trail times are pretty easy (to satisfy the police and the land managers so the trails don't get ripped up). The events are decided at the special tests which include 'timed to the second' cross country and moto cross tests.

I think well prepared  ;) :D old bodies and old bikes should go the distance. Ask around ;).

You will have to be an A grade motocrosser and/or 'leave your brains in the toolbox' to make an impression on the fast boys in the special tests, bikes notwithstanding ;D.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 02:29:33 pm »
If you guys can get it together I am sure I can get you some publicity both here in OZ and overseas.
It would make a great story no matter what the result [so long as you don't colapse and die on the Prologue].

Keep us up to date with your plans
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

mx250

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 03:25:30 pm »
I think also that you have to 'qualify' for the 4 days. Ask around. Regardless it would be highly advisable to do a few club and 1 and 2 day'ers as a shake down etc.

The more I think about it the more merit I think it has. There may be government money available. There's that latest campaign about "the more you gain the more you have to lose". Surely some encouragement ($'s) from them and some publicity for the campaign would be symbiotic.

IT490K

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:31:10 pm »
I like the positivity! Originally I was thinking of entering a Yamaha IT team and seeking
sponsorship from Yamaha. It would be ideal to enter one make of bike so that the team
had consistency in appearance. There is also a great enduro history behind the Yamaha
IT brand and I'm a sucker for the old IT's  ;)

Depending on numbers and who would be up for it we may have no other choice but to
enter a 'mixed make' team.

IT490K

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 03:33:25 pm »
If it was a 'mixed make' team what would we call ourselves?
It would have to be something with the word "Vinduro" in there... :)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 09:46:26 pm »
I would be intersted in being involved, Iv'e always wanted to run one more four day before I got too old.
Somehow though I grew old when I wasn't looking :o

Entries have always been dear, I just looked up the supp regs from the 88 I4DE & it was $100.00.  In todays language it felt like $500.00 at the time.

I have a 88 KDX 200, it's probably modern compared to what you guys are thinking of. Restoring it has been on the backburner a year now. I have fond memories of this model as I rode the 86 four day in S.A. on one. (the models were the same 86-88)

When I get it sorted I intend to run a modern one day Enduro on it as a reality check. It would be a bit of a pipe dream to ride it in a fourday, as quite often my head writes checks my body can't cash.

The last enduro I rode was about 4 years ago, after which my wife made me promise to do some training before I rode another as I was bloody knackered after the event. I never trained & haven't ridden another since.

It takes a lot of energy to get through 4 days, both mentally & physically so you would need to be on your game.

So while I am interested I would need to start training now to be in any decent shape for next year.
Where is the event next year, any one know?
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

maicoman

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 08:21:30 am »
Steady on vmx42 no ones collapsing man. 33 is hardly old and I currently run about 40kms a week sometimes more. We'll be fine. Jock would be the baby of the group. An all IT assault would be good. What is the format for a team. Do we all ride each day?

mx250

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 08:31:39 am »
Do we all ride each day?
Yep!

It would be 30 years since I've seen the GCR's for a 4 day ::) but I think they're pretty much the same. Team of 3, minimum collective score wins. And I think the team has got to be in at least 2 capacity classes. Don't quote me :P ;D.

husky61

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 09:38:21 am »
Im 48 this year.

Fit , i train 6 days and also run 15kms a week.

Im up for it . It would be a memorable experience.

Dont forget the duck tape

Offline BETRIC

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 05:25:55 pm »
I think there was talk of Oyster Bay MCC entering a team on IT200's this year, will check it out and report back ;).
DELTEK, 72 MINI TRAIL, 73/4 XR75, 77/78 XR75, DG MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, REDLINE FRAME XR75, PK RACING MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, JWRP XR FRAME, SL70K1, 81 CR80RB, TY80A/B, YZ80A/B/D, GT50/80A, GTMX80A, 73 GTMX, GT1, COOPER MX, COOPER ENDURO,MX360A,MX250B,YZ125X MX100, 72 XL250, TC100,TL125, TY250C,IT250J

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 05:30:08 pm »
Sounds like a great idea.

I'm too much of an enduro novice to jump straight into the 4-day, but I'd be happy to come and help out (subject to all of the usual family/work/rest of life pressures allowing me to).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 07:35:57 pm »
What a great idea 8)

You could always give Geoff Ballard a ring, he maybe able to help out in the special tests on his Mega 2  ;)