Author Topic: Australian 4 Day Enduro - Vintage Team  (Read 20385 times)

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Australian 4 Day Enduro - Vintage Team
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 05:30:03 pm »
There might also be the option of riding the event as a clubman, I think that's what it's called. Correct me if I'm wrong.  I was told that you can turn up at any enduro event and ride the course after the competitors.  No entry fee. You just have to pay a few bucks.  That could always be an option if you don't want to tangle with the rest of the modern bikes.  Providing the whole idea behind it is to just ride the course and finish it rather than compete.
hey Bern, in '97 at the Manjimup A4DE a clubman class was run, but for some unknown reason never took off (lack of promoter support?).
AFAIK, the ONLY way to ride a Four Day is enter and ride the bugger. Not paying entry fees would (and SHOULD) preclude you from entering private property (no entry, no insurance) - no farmer is going to leave himself open to prosecution.  TB
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

albrid-3

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 06:30:03 pm »
WOW, looks like it would be great fun, I think the hodaka would struggle.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 06:46:16 pm »
NFI if its still happening, but some open enduro events (and the Safari) used to offer a trailride over the enduro course - can't remember the name of the class though... :-[

There was an entry fee (cheaper than the competitive entry), and was intended to be a non-threatening introduction into the enduro world. Basically, guys could go and ride the course and see whether they could cope or not, without the pressure of competition.

I'd be up for such a thing, if its offered at the 4-day.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

vivid62

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 08:46:00 pm »
Nathan,

I don't think the trail times (even at the 4 day) are that hard so entering as a competitior would be not much different to entering as a rally competitior.  The special stage times may be well down on the guns but you're not going to hour out with a slow special stage time.  I'm planning on doing the A4DE in 2011 (30 years after I entered my first one - and far enough away to get the fitness up and enter some club and state enduros over the next 18 months to build up the necessary experience).

Mark

P.S. I would never enter this event on a vintage enduro bike - I don't rekon many people (Geoff Ballard excluded)  would get past the first day - I love the old bikes but when the going gets tough the smart jump on a sweet '09 or '10 ride.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2009, 08:55:14 pm »
P.S. I would never enter this event on a vintage enduro bike - I don't rekon many people (Geoff Ballard excluded)  would get past the first day

OK someone please prove this theory is wrong  ;D
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2009, 09:55:23 pm »

P.S. I would never enter this event on a vintage enduro bike - I don't rekon many people (Geoff Ballard excluded)  would get past the first day - I love the old bikes but when the going gets tough the smart jump on a sweet '09 or '10 ride.

Why? Is it the technical difficulty level of the course, or the ability to stay within late time?

I had been assuming that nowdays the courses aren't that technically difficult, provided you had more time to complete it, without late time worries.
This was why I was interested in the rally class.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2009, 11:36:51 pm »

Wrong!, Considering there would be limited restrictions on the Vintage bikes, suspesion upgrades would be a piece of cake, so Trail times would be easily acheivable and the special tests would be class related, so The whole idea is very feasable.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:45:44 am by E74 »

vivid62

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 10:36:23 am »
I agree that it would be feasable to do a A4DE on a pre '85 bike (although to keep it real you would prefer to see the entrant on a bike with period brakes and suspension).  But from a personal point of view the event would be a big enough challenge as a 47 year old on my '09 KTM 300 let alone trying it on  my '78 KTM.  Having said that I would love to see one or more vintage enudro bikes at the A4DE next year (it would pay to compete in at least on one enduro on the bike to test everything out).   
Mark

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 12:45:15 pm »

Why? Is it the technical difficulty level of the course, or the ability to stay within late time?

I had been assuming that nowdays the courses aren't that technically difficult, provided you had more time to complete it, without late time worries.

???

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 05:05:48 pm »

Nathan - Not many Four Day Enduro's are that technical these days. The whole idea is to get people riding them, rather than being "scared" of enduring 4 days of hell. Sure, environmental & climatic conditions can change that, but that's the nature of the beast!
FWIW, forget the idea of a Rally class - I just don't see it as an option that the promoters will embrace. Besides, the whole idea is "man and machine Vs time and terrain".  ;)
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2009, 06:07:57 pm »
How about just one Vinduro in Qld first (I havn't heard of any yet this year), then maybe do a two day. Then look at a 4 day.
If you really want a challenge head to SA and do the 24hr Trial on your own or as a team.They accept older bikes and even have a class/classes for them.
I really think the Vinduro concept is great but am I in the wilderness?

vivid62

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 07:09:08 pm »
Back when I did my first 4 day event everyone rode 80's enduro bikes because well it was the 1980's and while it would still be possible to do the A4DE today on a 70's or 80's  bike I wonder if many people would want to do such a long event on a bike without smooth power delivery, plush suspension and disc brakes (plus a ready supply of parts to fix the bike after the event).  At the last Vic. vinduro event I did a few laps on my SWM 175 and a few on my new KTM 300 (I took the new bike when I went out with the video camera).  The two main points I noticed between the bikes was the braking (one or two finger stopping versus  a handful of brake lever to slow, not stop, the SWM) and the delivery of the power (both two strokes and both with a good quantity of power but the KTM was so much smoother and easier to ride).  Now this isn't a critisism of the older bikes it's just that I can see why the vinduo format that Peter Drakeford and the organising clubs have in Victoria is working so well with a 20 to 30 minute lap of varied trails (none of them too hard, although the rocks on some of the hills at Benella created a few challenges) and the riders able to do as many laps as they like at what ever speed they want to (Steve Juzva, just to use one example, was riding his vinduro mount faster than most guys could ride a new bike).  The charm with vinduros is the riding along with the relaxed approach, social stuff and the interesting array of bikes to look at (much more so than at the say the last Stockmans Rally where it was pretty much a sea of 500 identical, late model KTM's, WRF's and a few Honda's).  The modern enduro isn't the bike and rider destoying event (not that the Four Day really ever was) of years gone by but it is still a lot of riding over sometimes very cut up trails (as was the case at last years A4DE). 

All said and done however it would be great to see a classic enduro bike enter and finish the major Australian enduro.

Mark

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 08:47:59 pm »
There's no doubt that modern bikes work better - but that's missing the point of riding an old bike.

If you go out and finish last on a new bike, then you'll be viewed as a gumby twat.
But if you finish on an old bike, then you're still a bit of a legend - and if you beat anyone, then you're a deadset legend.

Mick

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2009, 09:07:01 pm »
Hit the nail on the head there Nathan, and the bit about missing the point, I couldn't agree with you more.

Cheers Mick.

vivid62

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2009, 09:51:22 pm »
I get the point and agree totally Nathan - finish the four day on an a vinduro bike and you are a legend.
Mark