Author Topic: How To Strip A Fork  (Read 6417 times)

Ji Gantor

How To Strip A Fork
« on: March 17, 2009, 05:37:45 pm »
This topic is for information only and is how I have approached the strip down. Please refer to your manual and proceed as per the  manufacturers details.

This is a CZ400 1973 fork.
The seals need replacing and the inner tube needs to be chromed due to rust.
Water and dirt has found its way in due to the seal being shot.
These contaminants have to be removed and new seals and oil installed.

Ji

Ji Gantor

Re: How To Strip A Fork
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:41:29 pm »
This fork is 35mm diameter and is secured into the triple clamps by the lower clamp and has a tapered end which is draw up into the top clamp.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:43:40 pm »
First remove the fork top cap bolt, spring and drain the oil.
Ware gloves and a face mask as this stuff is toxic.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 05:47:45 pm »
Next unscrew the metal clamp.
Using a piece of wood and a rubber mallet gently tap the mud wiper off.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:27:09 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:49:33 pm »
Now that the mud wiper is off we can remove the circlip with a pair of circlip pliers.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:57:14 pm »
This next step could have been performed while the forks were still on the bike but I like a challenge so I have removed the dampener rod bolt while on the bench.
The best thing to do is to heat the bolt head area up a bit just in case the last guy that did it up used loctite. When the area is nice and hot place a 12mm diameter rod into the axle hole to secure the fork and with your 6mm Allan key try and get it out the best way you can. I have had no help with this so it is not that hard, just fiddly.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 06:00:47 pm »
Okay the fork is now in two pieces.
The damenper rod is exposed but we now have to remove the circlip to release it.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 06:04:14 pm »
Removing the circlip is usually an easy job but the last brain surgeon that worked on these forks ground the shoulders off the clip ends.
This took a bit of time but it was removed without damaging the forks.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:08:52 pm »
The alloy bush in the bottom of the fork leg was solid.
To remove this I employed an old broom handle.
After a few rams the bush came free.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:14:30 pm »
With the dampener assembly free the only thing left to strip out is the seals. I find with old and new forks if after stripping them you leave them a day or two the seals come out a lot easier. I think they dry and shrink a bit but I have no evidence of this other than the effort it takes to remove the seal on the day and the next day the seals some times drop out, so to speak.

Ji

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 06:44:56 pm »
Hey Ji,
Don't worry about the one kid in the school yard that you don't get on with. You can't make everybody happy, no matter how hard you try. Just ignore him and get on with your business.

I have read most of your posts and picked up quite a few good tips. Its all good stuff,
Have another think about it and see you back here tomorrow!!
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 06:54:35 pm »
ji
keep going as in 3 weeks i am doing the same with my 1972 yellow tank 400 cz.you are very helpfull for all cz owners,forget the rest they dont matter
cheers

TM BILL

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 06:57:23 pm »
Ji ignore the ingnorance of the hecklers  ::) ::)
This forum is an open forum and read by a great deal more people than those who choose to post here, why deprive others of your experience just because of the actions of the small minded among us  ;)

Some may feel your postings are to elementary but to others im sure they provide some welcome assistance  :)
Not everybodys as naturally gifted as Ross obviously feels he is  (and he has probably had plenty of practice with the spanners being a Montesa owner ;D) so please continue posting for the benefit of us mortals  :)

At some time in the future i will tackle my 75 CZ 125 and your postings here will be a great help im sure

Cheers Bill
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:14:35 pm by TM BILL »

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 07:14:05 pm »
Yeah Ji,
Don't go or TMBill might just have to take your place with his own unique style of technical stories.

You haven't lived until you have seen Uncle Bill at work in the Taupo Works Bunker at 2.00am the morning before a race meeting. What he can do with a gas axe in one hand and a beer in the other has to be seen to be believed. He is the Gordon Ramsey of VMX. I have seen it, and I still don't believe it!

Keep up the good work TMBull [say hello to DJ for me]. See you at CD6
VmX42
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:15:44 pm by vmx42 »
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 08:07:58 pm »
2am, its just glide time Jeff "We do things a little different in little old NZ" and it wouldnt be a vmx meeting in Taupo without a 2-4am night before the race. ;D .  How is the big smoke Jeff, are you getting in some riding?
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer