Author Topic: i must be missing somthing ?  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
i must be missing somthing ?
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:29:20 pm »
I must be missing somthing can any one help me get my head around this?

after continually hearing how good the new 4 strokes are from all unsundry specially the guys at the shop, i though if i did some home work, after living a life of 2 strokes, i was willing to take the chance, even with all the oil changes, oil filters, cam chains etc etc.    i thought the extra $$$  for the 4 banger would be OK cause these things would rip along, i even had a ride on a well set up sX yam450F and it was a lush ride and nice power compared to my race 02 KTM so i was willing to step up and try the 4 smoker,

well...
i lashed out and bought the 250F yam  :Dand took it out on the weekend, well it was like driving a Auto holden barina. :'(

sure it was a kinda lush ride but thats were the excitement stopped it was such a let down, i just kept thinging any minute it will surprise me, but never did, No hang on power, just a mundane trickle along and when you drop into a corner it stops dead if you come off the gas.   with the 2EEE you just slide in a coast and power out, the 4 stroke was all on or all off the engine braking was harsh.

I dont know but im not too excited about this four stroke revival, and  following other 4's they were noiser than the 2 strokes by a long way. ???

im even considering swapping back to the old 2 stroke which was faster or getting onto a 07+ yz 250 at least i know how good the 2 strokes are in you hands.

Is it just me or is this 4 stroke thing just a beat up to sell all that extra maitaince and parts cause i cant see the upside in the performance or price ???

What am i missing here ?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:36:33 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Rosco400

Re: i must be missing somthing ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:47:47 pm »
You needed a 450 or 510 for a bit of grunt by the sounds of it, heard the new fuel injected 510 husky is the go if your looking for a good time ;)

The 250 four strokes are pretty gutless, especiall if your like 90kg+

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:57:43 pm »
G`day Freaky,
                    your not missing anything with the 4 stroke. I ride a 450 4 stroke a fair bit of the time and love the thing, i have ridden a 250 4 stroke but at a bit over a 100 kg`s it didn`t like me one bit and i didn`t like it one bit either. I found with the 250 if you didn`t ride the thing like a 2 stroke and keep it high up in the rev range it was lazy, but keep it revving and around the rev limiter the thing had a good amount of power.

The engine braking is something that will grow on you and you will be able to use it to your advantage when entering corners, with the maintenance on the 4 strokes if you do the right thing with oil changes and filters etc. they are not a problem. Like any bike if you abuse the servicing it will cost ya.   Peter. :)
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:57:44 pm »
forget the four strokers
gotta go 2 smoke ;)

heres my vet beast ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 10:02:27 pm »
The  AMCN headline screams...................

SHOCK, MARKETING HYPE FAILS TO FULFILL REAL WORLD PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS.
Prominent South Australian disappointed with underperforming 250 4T dirt bike he said "Make's mum's Barina feel fast" ................... ;D

Have a look at a TM 300 08 don't let the blue rims put you off, it's a lot of bike,also a Gas Gas 300 apparently pleases experts and novices alike. A YZ/KX/RM 250 is a great choice. 

Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:05:23 pm »
Hey Freaky,
Totally agree
Never thought i would buy a european bike, but when the ktm300exce came out- there was no other registerable choice- I made the correct decision 98%. The other two percent is because I still cannot mono the 300 like i can my brothers wr450 2007. But the WR is heavy / doughy and seems to push the front wheel through turns instead of following it...

Go the two strokes :  
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 10:40:27 pm »
I haven't ridden any of the new 4-strokes so I guess I don't know. But I do note the number of times in mags they talk about the 250 4T being a great bike for the average rider while the 450 is far too much of a beast. Then they say that a 250 2T is a real handful for most and seem to make out it'd be far too violent and sketchy.

Huh? I have ridden plenty of 250 2Ts, from my old worked RM250Z up to a pretty modern CR250, and sure I am not the world's greatest rider but I had no trouble riding them as hard as I can go. I even won a few dirt track races on my old RM.

Are the young guys getting too used to the flat power of the 4Ts and not appreciating the lovely rip of a 2T?

That said, I watched that ADB vid the other day of the AORC. I noticed that the 4Ts seemed to hookup and flow through the terrain much better the the 2Ts which definitely seemed twitchier and more at odds. I'm not saying one was faster than the other - I don't know from what I could see which was the faster. But it did look like the 4T was an easier ride through the snotty stuff...

I must get me a ride on one of these things one day.

PS love my 05 YZ125...

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:06:33 pm »
I know I'm a girl    ::)   and don't know too much ,, :o
but finding a few riders at mx are selling there 450 4 strokes- as they need to be of solid build and are a hand full for there smaller framed bodies,,so not that good as they seem. 8)
I've heard comments like-heavey pig -slow slug-hard work-needs to be ridden like its stolen ;D
right bike=right body
right body=right bike. :)
alison
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:47:11 am by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:35:16 pm »
i hate big bikes so i wont go over 250cc, i like something i can move around.  and to run it on the rev limiter is inviting a valveping and a rod through the case ( seen 3 go that way already albiet 02-03's)

i guess i just expected a better bike for the hype.  i think the power is flat and doughy, its not even got anything on my 02 KTm whichcame stock with hydrolic clutch, other than betterforks on the YZF, i feel let down, top that with bigger maintenance bills im looking for the upside but not seeing it.

Maybe its me but Nothing seems to pull like a "2 stroke on lake bonnie doon."

Im guttered and after only one ride, it might see out this year, but unless a mirracle happens im back to a 2eee, and i reackon ill save money on the way to................. :P
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:39:36 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 12:07:21 am »
freaky
tm and ktm 144 smash those wr/yz250s.even yz125s with a 144 kit will out do one.if its for trail ridinf enduro style have a ride on tm300 or ktm300 ot gas gas 300 two stroke.i had a tm 300 and it was great to ride.gen factory race bike.i belive with the 250 four stroke you need to ride them flat out. my mate son went from a 450 to a 250rmz in enduros and got faster.he says the 250 is not a hard bike to ride flat out.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 03:34:04 am »
I have a family member who is factory supported so get to ride well set up 450 4 stroke occasionally, really quick and easy as a farm bike to ride.

But seeing I am paying the bills, I would buy 250 stroke as pretend racer and the ideal trail bike if you don't need rego.

formerly Marc.com

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 08:07:26 am »
Ahh Freaky,
No your not going crazy, you have just discovered the flaw in the whole 2 stroke vs 4 stroke thing. 2 STROKES ARE MORE FUN TO RIDE.

They are so much better than the 4 stokes its not funny, and those that carry on about the 450s being much better than your 250 have forgotten what it is like to ride a 500 two stroke [even if they are still using 80's technology].

The whole 4 stroke thing is just one big marketing scam perpetuated by a series of illadvised and simplistic, short sighted rule changes. It has taken one of the simplest and most accessable forms of motorsport and inflicted a huge increase in costs, TOO MUCH BLOODY NOISE and NO ENVIRONMENTAL ADVANTAGE. A crap deal all round IMHO.

VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 09:10:11 am »
It seems not all manufacturers are peddling the four stroke hype. The January 2009 edition of Dirt Action has an ad for KTM's '09 two stroke range.

The heading is: "Straightforward and simply superior"

Other quotes:

"...the engines create enough smooth power to rival many other 4 strokes and will continue making that power while friends adjust valves..."

"Also includes genuine 2 stroke exhaust note (the way motocross should sound)"

"Long live the 2 stroke!"

Tex

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 09:38:29 am »
Their are many pro's & con's in the 2 versus 4 argument but I think the thing you are missing is the fact that you test rode a 450 & then bought a 250.

The 250 is more akin to riding a 125, that's why they are in the same class, so effectively you bought a 125, did you not know this?

"just a mundane trickle along and when you drop into a corner it stops dead if you come off the gas."

Yep, just like a 125

The 2 stoke may be making a bit of a comeback
I have heard of a few guys recently that have switched back to the 2 stroke because they couldn't afford the engine rebuilds of the 4 stoke.
I recently jigged up a 144 pipe for the 09 Husky 125
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:08 pm »
what the go with the 144 kits > i have seen some racer putting thes on 125 but what class are they riding in ? the rules seem to have gone al skewiffy IMHO.

A 250 should ride with the 250 not in the 125 otherwise it should be called a 125.  i just dont get it.   I always though it was a scam but owning one prove it.  be a good trail rider as it was constant but not what i call action packed, the bike is easy to ride and i guess will get more bums on seats but mmmmeh im just feeling a little jippped, like it still keeps up with the 450's i ran with on the weekend and you could tunnel in on them in the fast sections, but i just dont have the kick in the pants action, i feel like im retired................

NOpe back to the 2 EEE for sure infact it has spurred me on to get the pre 75 2 smokers dialled in a little more, they are faster i just got to smooth out the ruff edges a bit more.  it makes me appreiciate more how good my old girls are, better build and better rides, and when i haded over $20 for a gen yam filter and another $50 for some bell ray 4 storke and the man says change ever 5 hours, i look in my wallet and remember how stingy i have been on my old girls, there lucky to get a clean air filter, i wont think twice now about giving my old lovely some new parts, if i have to spend $70 just on an oil change , i think i can start feeding the old um a few pistons and a few pretty pretty and for a lot less.

it has kinda done me a favour in realising how good i have had it with the pre 75 stuff and how lucky i am to race them.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's