Author Topic: i must be missing somthing ?  (Read 4074 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: i must be missing somthing ?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 01:59:14 pm »
freaky
sevice your new four stroke.if you dont it could come back and bite in the bum and wallet.i have heard stories of 3500.00 to do a top end.about 8 years ago i bought a smick gpz900r of a guy who needed cahs to rebuild his husky enduro race bike.i paid 2800.0 for it he told me he would get sfall change from that
cheers

All Things 414

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 04:02:48 pm »
Ahh Freaky,
No your not going crazy, you have just discovered the flaw in the whole 2 stroke vs 4 stroke thing. 2 STROKES ARE MORE FUN TO RIDE.

Amen! ;)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 04:54:47 pm »
Nice Ross........ nothing beats up like match box flame decals  ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 05:00:23 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 11:15:31 pm »
If your going to ride a 4 stroke it needs to be at least  500. If you want to move serious dirt a Husaberg 650 is the go.  I'm nearly 50, unfit and punt a 07 Ktm 525 through tight enduro tracks no problem. As for top end rebuilds, around $1,200 -1,300 including labour. On average usually around the 5-7,000 klm mark depending on your maintenance schedule and how you ride.

I've ridden four strokes all my life. Well, I actually rode two strokes up until Yamaha bought out the TT500.
  Two strokes will produce more power with less weight for the same capacity and in general are probably a better weapon.  But I hate a bike that sounds like a lawn mower, and I love the low down grunty torque that you can only get from a big thumper.

Think... filleting knife versus meat clever.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 11:31:08 pm »
mmmmm i was feeling it was more akin to steak knife versus butter knife myself........... :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:44:47 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 01:53:48 pm »
A friend of mine wanted something modern to replace his XR600 for registered trail riding and ended up getting the KTM300 (two stroke) elec start, mainly for economy of ownership. The alternatives he liked (KTM and GasGas four strokes) were going to cost $$$$$ for the type of riding he likes. He was told to budget for $1 per km for engine servicing ($4000 for 4000km) riding on any of the performance-type four strokes.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

TooFastTim

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 08:56:47 pm »
The whole 4 stroke thing is just one big marketing scam perpetuated by a series of illadvised and simplistic, short sighted rule changes. It has taken one of the simplest and most accessable forms of motorsport and inflicted a huge increase in costs, TOO MUCH BLOODY NOISE and NO ENVIRONMENTAL ADVANTAGE. A crap deal all round IMHO.

Hallaluah brother <chorus of hallahluah echoes around church of the Holy two stroke> For you have seen de light. And sh&t it is good.

Now if only we could turn a few people of, err, a more fundamentalist persuasion against the FIM..

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 09:29:05 pm »
Yep,
We can quote $ and talk about reliability, I love the two strokes and thats all I own, but the four strokes do have a place as they are a little more forgiving in many instatces, I have recently recomended a friend to buy a fourstroke for his first dirtbike. He's abig guy and new to enduro- Horses for causes i guess..
brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...