Author Topic: Fire danger  (Read 18505 times)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Fire danger
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2009, 06:00:34 pm »
Some great news coming in there, good stuff. Tell you what, $950 wouldn't affect my life in any way, the Govt should stop wasting their time and money on the supposed bail-out package, and say If you're working, you don't get the package.... and spend the money getting these poor bastards back on their feet. Bloody hell, this could be any of us, or our rellies. Thoughts are with our friends in Vic.   :(
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2009, 07:24:59 pm »
Glad to hear you are OK GMC.

I had exactly that thought about the "bail out".  Instead of hand-outs why don't they help these poor buggers rebuild their communities.  There are a lot of houses and lives that could do with some major help.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2009, 07:36:37 pm »
I believe it started in a local pine plantation where a few have been lit before, hope they catch the turd.
I would like to parcachute them into the fire..... without a parachute.
Yeah, you and me both. I wrote this somewhere else on the forum and it applies even more given the events of the past few days:

Arsonists. F*ckin' Arsonists!
When caught a mandatory 24 hour shift helping in the burns unit of a major Hospital should preceed their impaling and slow roast over a BBQ pit. Then they can return to the burns unit with a genuine reason to be there - the c*nts.
Just wait 'til I become Prime Minister!

Seriously, no mercy to these pricks!
Tattoo their crime on their foreheads and drop 'em back into the affected communities!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

mainline

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2009, 08:19:46 pm »
Words fail me after watching some of the footage and hearing the stories.

As for those responsible - a small piece of lead behind the ear and be done with it.

Sue

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2009, 09:11:05 pm »
Gidday yzhilly,,,Thinking of you and your family stay safe. Hope to catch up soon,, From Sue

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2009, 10:23:37 pm »
Thanks Sue we are fine and when i posted this thread i had no idea of the devastion that had happened outside of my own area . I hope that no else gets hurt and we can get these fire's under control . What has happened has been a unbelievable tragedy . I'm lost for words and feel numb lets just dig in and give them a hand .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2009, 10:54:53 pm »
 Looking for any news on another missing mate Resident of Kinglake central  Mr Tony M. Active in post classic and period 5 road race sidecars in the nineties. Many friends looking out for you mate lets hear some good news, sadly we do know your home and property are ashes . Tim754
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:06:46 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:29 am »
I am sure I speak for most Australians here that this whole tragedy has made me feel so down. I don't know if it's because my job has made me see so much shit in 23 years and it's coming back or what but this keeps getting worse.

Right now I am on holidays and up till now have been getting lots done but yesterday I moped around and eventually turned the radio off - just too much bad news. Drowned out my thoughts with the Angels !!!

Woke up this morning to a death toll exceeding 170 and climbing so today won't feel any better.

If I was one of the arsonists responsible for the carnage the c..... have caused I'd go find a tree and string myself up before they get caught - they won't be safe anywhere they go for a long long time and I don't give a shit if they are 16 or 60 - hang em !!!!

Ted and others have brought home to us that these events are real and touch lives of everyone.

For those of you still waiting for news I pray that it will be good not bad.

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

firko

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2009, 10:35:41 am »
I saw on the TV this morning that the Eaglehawk area near Bendigo had been affected by the bushfire on the weekend. Does anyone have any news on the Clarke family? I figure that Brian and Bev would be fairly safe in town but the boys live in outlying areas I believe so I hope all is well with one of Australias great motocross families.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2009, 10:44:10 am »
My deepest condolences to anyone who has lost family or friends in these terrible fires . With a lot of debate about whether to stay to fight fires & try to protect your house , or to flee , I have to ask why houses in bushfire prone areas aren't built with an underground celler / bunker with insulated fireproof doors for emergency situations  ? Houses in the USA that are in tornado affected areas , have these type of shelters to retreat to until the danger has passed . 

mx250

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2009, 11:02:00 am »
My deepest condolences to anyone who has lost family or friends in these terrible fires . With a lot of debate about whether to stay to fight fires & try to protect your house , or to flee , I have to ask why houses in bushfire prone areas aren't built with an underground celler / bunker with insulated fireproof doors for emergency situations  ? Houses in the USA that are in tornado affected areas , have these type of shelters to retreat to until the danger has passed . 
With Royal commissions etc.,  all will be  revealed as time passes, but I think some, if not many, houses that were lost, and lives inside them, were built or modified to the CSIRO's recommendations with independent power, water and pumping, and sprinklers on the roof etc.  This was an exceptional fire.

My thinking is that in the future an underground bunker away from the house, so you don't get trapped by debris of the house, may be an answer. Dams and swimming pools also seem to be a refuge for personal survival provided you can protect the head from radiated heat. This is a consideration for me as a number of my rellies live in bush settings around Cessnock and I'm thinking of retiring to the same area.

I'll add my deepest condolences to all concerned. I'll be doing my little bit through donation.

Offline 2 shocks

• A-Grade
  • Gods Country !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2009, 11:28:15 am »
Yesterday I provided 3 boxes of assorted new clothing, to a family friend of my brother, who lost everything in the fire's at Marysville. These people were reluctant to take any such charity & were way too proud to thank me personally for my contribution. At times like this, it makes one feel humble to be able to help someone else in their time of need, as with anyone else out there, who has been kind enough to show the same, for which I'm sure those receiving will be eternally grateful for the generosity.

Mrs Maico #54

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2009, 01:45:35 pm »
You'd think a shipping container might protect your bikes maybe? Not a hope in Hell, They belong to someone i know who lost the lot,luckily they bailed out and are safe.

mx250

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2009, 02:12:05 pm »
You'd think a shipping container might protect your bikes maybe? Not a hope in Hell, They belong to someone i know who lost the lot,luckily they bailed out and are safe.

Given that these areas were relatively 'well to do' Rural Residential areas I suspect there was considerable property lost that will include many valuable, interesting and historical cars, bikes, trucks and artifacts of all types. Although real, these losses pale to insignificant against the loss of life, personal effects, property and infrastructure. But sadly missed regardless. We are all that little bit poorer.

Flooding is one thing; fire is so total. I'm amazed that items like books which you normally can't totally destroy in an open fire, were reduced to ashes in minutes. It was an exceptional fire.

firko

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2009, 04:23:53 pm »
Given that these areas were relatively 'well to do' Rural Residential areas I suspect there was considerable property lost that will include many valuable, interesting and historical cars, bikes, trucks and artifacts of all types. Although real, these losses pale to insignificant against the loss of life, personal effects, property and infrastructure. But sadly missed regardless. We are all that little bit poorer.
The daughter/son in law of my friend that I mentioned earlier in the thread lost his new 80k 427 Cobra, an XBGTcoupe and a bunch of bikes including a pretty rare Ducati of some sort. His next door neighbour owned a genuine 70 Boss 302 Mustang and they're asuming it went in the fire. There'll be plenty more.