Author Topic: Global financial crisis - what does it mean to you  (Read 62218 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Global financial crisis - what does it mean to you
« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2011, 09:11:52 pm »
What could possibly go wrong - the sun shining, the birds are singing; an absolutely perfect winters day.
Have a great day guys :).
Here here...lambs are being born and Spring is near...Meat in our freezer ..yippie ..Sorry poor little snowflake  :-X
Have a great Day !!
You barsta#d , not snowflake. :o

Yes your right !! its not a good name for a black lamb which should be called Black Knight Night or something better for his colouring  ;D  ;D
You guys need to spend more on ebay and keep the vmx market high !! .I keep getting all these emails coming in saying you've WON...oh shit....  :o  :-X
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2011, 09:24:25 pm »
Yep VMX , I went to the tender centre last week and put in a ridiculous bid on an electric pusshy/scooter thingy and a oil painting.
What am I going to do with them?
Could save the planet with the scooter I suppose. ;D
Will probably just look at the painting ::) ;D

Ps I used to have sheep but couldn't come at eating the cute little innocent trusting lambs.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2011, 09:36:39 pm »
Ps I used to have sheep but couldn't come at eating the cute little innocent trusting lambs.

You big softy  :D  Just do it the Aussie BBQ way !! Yumm OH  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2011, 08:10:09 am »
I think I remember you saying something about that wasp.  I was warned in late 2006 about it from a friend, and cashed up and saved up so I could weather the storm.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2011, 08:47:34 am »
Buy some more bricks and mortar, fix your interest rates and pay an extra couple of payments as soon as you can.( i.e. build that shed you want to put your trophies in-they'll be giving them away soon on a two for one deal)
They can shove the stock market-may as well spend a day at the races.(neddies that is)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2011, 09:22:46 am »
Seems that the Chinese aren' the forgiving type's. They called for replacing the US$ as te international currency today .They also are talking about "International Supervision" the US debt crisis.  :o

the Chinese economy has made out based on US consumption, they are enjoying some xenophobic posturing in their own media at the moment. My view on China is it looks scary like Korea was in 1996 or for that matter what the US looked like in 1923. Having an economy heavily dependent on constant above  sustainable rate, like Korea in 1996-98 can result in an economy with no capacity to wind growth back. Unlike Japan which can soldier along quite effectively these days on 1-2%.

In my own field I remember being at a Maritime Industry Finance conference in 2008.... my impression is that at the time stimulus allowed companies to avoid writing down their assetts to true book value.... now i think we have reached a tipping point where the debt to assett ratio of many business's become a major issue and send shareholders running for the exits.

This liquidation of assets will cause a horror inflationary spike in some countries with corresponding interest rate rises.

formerly Marc.com

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2011, 10:18:15 pm »

[/quote]

Maniac , things did not happen overnight , the writing was on the wall since 2008 . When I predicted this , I was portrayed as being negative  and uneducated  .(someone even mentioned on this forum that I was building the "arch"  :D )Now I am one of the people with a positive outlook . We had the 20 fat years and now the 7 or so lean years have begun . Its not a surprise to me , just a matter of adjusting and planing a bit different . The world want go under , its just coming to its senses again .
[/quote]

For sure Wasp , I have been saying the same and , getting similar responses. I just wasn't in the position to do what you have done.Unfortunately my work dropped off three years ago and I had too sell some of my collectables to pay the bills,eat,race etc . I didnt invest.
Good luck to you , "nothing unforetold happens in a wisemans life".

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 10, 2011, 01:41:57 pm »
"They" are still working out how to tax Wallys fish tank and hydropinics garden-it will happen tho.

mx250

Greed is NOT Good Mr Gekko.
« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2011, 11:12:12 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15669197

(At the risk of upsetting the Sgt ::))

Greed is NOT Good Mr Gekko. Well good for some but not good for all.

Hang on for a bumpy ride guys - it's a 90+% chance that things are about to get economically a lot lot worse.

It's hard to lay the blame on any one cause - it just that the last 20 years of growth based on credit fueled western consumption (greed, indulgence and self delusion) is a house of cards (demonstrated in the USA and now about to be demonstrated in Europe/eurozone). The fact that the eurozone was an economic basket case with economic management forfeited to 'paper tiger' technocratics and some flimsy obviously inadequate rules without political will or political clout or defined political responsibility has only exasperated the problem - and now coming home to roost (e.g Greece debacle - both Greece and eurozone's political response/non-response ::)).

My bet is that Italy is about to go 'tits up'. For Italy to survive would have taken a miracle and for all the favourable stars to line up. As it is all the confluences are working the other way - Debts coming due, cost of borrowing going up (and surpassing the repayment threshold :P), political instability (as per usual but will become worse with self interest, survival and 'rats and fat cats leaving the ship') and now the chance of 'trading their way out' greatly reduced (realistically zero :P).

Irony of ironies, the eurozone is looking to America for help. Realistic? Politically or economically can or will they do it? Economically it would make sense but this is now a political decision (a hardnose and unpopular political decision with some maybe economic benefits/ imperatives in an election year in a politic contest which is more popularity contest than leadership quality contest ::)).

Ditto China. The eurozone asked the Chinese who stared back at them inscrutably blankly. Economically it would make some sense but with their Home economy starting to take off it is not an economic imperative. Politically? - you're got to be kidding. The thrifty poor Chinese bail out the same bloated Europeans who for 200 years tried to kick them when they were down and tried to suck the life blood from them? Yeah, right. Even a police state dictatorship would have probs forcing that political football down the throats of 1.2 billion poor but proud nationalistic Chinese.

China might participate in a European fire sale - Sicily, 20 billion euro? VW or Fiat 20 billion euro?

Ditto India pretty much.

Look to Japan? They'll be looking for their own bail out if world trade takes a major down turn (which is a most likely follow on from a European slow down).

If things pan out the way I predict, which I rate at a 90% chance, the problem will be so acute, so profound, the economic effect will last ten years. And I'm not the only one with this prediction and fear.

Where does that leave Australia? We'll be saved by sound economic positioning and structure (thanks to 20 years of Liberal and Labour economic responsibility and good government - making a number of hard decisions over a long period of time) and resources sales to China and India (relying on their domestic growth) at reduced price at reduced volumes. But it will hurt.

Where does that leave you and me? - up shit creek without a paddle. My super is 50% of what it was 5 years ago, and taken another lost with all this eurozone uncertainty. And it is unlikely to improve in the next 10 (in my estimation).

Thank God for Real Estate. Even if it stagnant at least it ain't going backwards (yet ::)).

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Greed is NOT Good Mr Gekko.
« Reply #204 on: November 11, 2011, 11:47:16 am »
Thank God for Real Estate. Even if it stagnant at least it ain't going backwards (yet ::)).

Yet, Australians have increased their household debt 4 fold in the last 18 years to have the highest level in the developed world, with NZ and Canada in the 140-160% range. Makes us uber sensitive to changes in interest rates.... at the moment Italian sovereign bonds are yielding 7%, so why would you loan money to an Aussie bank trying to offer finance or a German bank writing off Greek debt at much less than that, apart from risk aversion. Our position is not unlike the UKs was in 2008.

formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2011, 11:57:33 am »

Yet, Australians have increased their household debt 4 fold in the last 18 years to have the highest level in the developed world, with NZ and Canada in the 140-160% range. Makes us uber sensitive to changes in interest rates.... at the moment Italian sovereign bonds are yielding 7%, so why would you loan money to an Aussie bank trying to offer finance or a German bank writing off Greek debt at much less than that, apart from risk aversion. Our position is not unlike the UKs was in 2008.

But Australians have been paying down debt and saving better in the last 4 years. Still exposed but not quite as badly as before. Still a worry ::).

Talking of Sydney, the other saving grace of Real Estate is the shortage of homes. By 200,000 in Sydney if what I've heard is correct or believable. I believe the other brake on Real Estate is land release - thank God for a inefficient bureaucracy. This time the brake stop the market from going backwards.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2011, 04:31:30 pm »
Talking of Sydney, the other saving grace of Real Estate is the shortage of homes. By 200,000 in Sydney if what I've heard is correct or believable. I believe the other brake on Real Estate is land release - thank God

Yeah i was reading about property bubbles and the accompanying perception of a 'shortage of homes' ..... the US was also claiming that before things went pop. Its not a shortage of homes that will be the issue but a shortage of affordable homes..... people deleveraging as you mentioned has a drag down of property for a couple of reasons, a reduction in debt leads to stagnation of the market due to people borrowing less and the 'investment factor being removed from the market.
formerly Marc.com

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2011, 09:11:10 am »
Seems ironic to me that at a time when we must work hardest to try to stop destroying our planet, we must sell sell sell the very stuff that's doing the most damage to just keep our heads up.
To have led a resonable and simple life just doing what I needed to to get by with what I wanted from it and not get greedy with my demands of life only to now be pushed arse over by bastards that live their very lives by the opposite doctrine-I'm getting very angry about it all.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2011, 10:51:21 am »
Seems ironic to me that at a time when we must work hardest to try to stop destroying our planet, we must sell sell sell the very stuff that's doing the most damage to just keep our heads up.
To have led a resonable and simple life just doing what I needed to to get by with what I wanted from it and not get greedy with my demands of life only to now be pushed arse over by bastards that live their very lives by the opposite doctrine-I'm getting very angry about it all.

Plant a Mulberry tree.make some jam,put it on ya toast and all will be SWEET   :-*  ;D
cheers a
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2011, 11:11:51 am »
Yep when I was a kid a garden was standard in most homes thats why we were on 1/4 acre...... man rolled over my term deposit yesterday..... freaking BNZ ripped my arm off and gave me one year rate for 140days ....  also bought new second hand 2007 Ford Ranger, sticker price $24999 .... sold to my good self with an offer of $19000.

I think you have to join the dots .... NZ has the lowest rate of home building in 17 years, 80% of properties current sold in NZ are under 400K, only 3% are above a million..... you start to see a pattern where the top end of town is trading down or priced themselves out of the market. I will give it until next Winter and make low ball offers ;D

I think there is the official story that the Government is giving you and what happens under the surface. It was like this in Aussie in about 92-94, kind of death by 1000 cuts, where there is no Lehman but you reach a tipping point of what is sustainable.
formerly Marc.com