Author Topic: CR500’s are King  (Read 7587 times)

Power Stand

CR500’s are King
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:29:10 am »
I am sure my opening statement will be like a moth to a flame. :o I have three 1986 CR500’s and had one since new. :)

I race in the Pilbara, West Aust from 1979 to 1990. Since then life things pushed in front but now its time to resurrect the old horse. (I bet this sounds familiar) I have been buying up parts and shipped to bikes in the post when our $ was 95cents to the USA. Wicked.

I race above the 26 parallel competing in MX, enduros, hare & hounds, trials, dirt track, speedway solos, desert races and all that stuff. 8)

Owned bikes like TY80B, MT125, PE175 1981, TS175, TS250, RM125 1979, RM250F, SL350, CB350, SX175 Harley, 500 Jawa and other odd sods.

Today I just have 3 x CR500, 1949 BSA M21, TF125 AG

I am into all types of bikes push or power, I ride a pushy to work 45km round trip. Race the odd mountain bike race for fun. :)

Anyway, I am sure you have the picture.
Oh I am 43 and who said male menopause = red sports car, Hm! male menopause = red dirt bike for me.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: CR500’s are King
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:46:20 am »
ah stocking up on those CR500s...... nothing more frightening than a good CR5. Outback WA has some pretty special  riding conditions, I remember riding Lefroy, cool race, heaps of flies
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:15:05 am »
Welcome CR500 King. ;D

Did you manage any of the listed
Karratha 6 hr, Parabardoo,Whim Creek,Cappie-Kumarina Roadhouse 2day in 1986-1988

and Lake Lefroy 86.
Got a bit of fame for Ken Melvin in the ADB that year,  ;D  photo of him with a broken chain in the middle of the lake and then continued on pushing it to the next pit stop. :'(
cheers
the 87 motley cruw
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:37:20 am by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 01:05:08 pm »
i see you had a sx175 harley
i know where one of these is
are they any good for a trailbike/ vinduro

welcome to forum  rusty ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:34:50 pm »
i see you had a sx175 harley

OR would they be suitable to ride to a Bandidos show and shine. ;D

From memory the  SX 2 strokes all started as 250s and they just used increasingly thick cast iron liners to get down to a 125.

formerly Marc.com

Power Stand

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 12:21:06 am »
ah stocking up on those CR500s...... nothing more frightening than a good CR5. Outback WA has some pretty special  riding conditions, I remember riding Lefroy, cool race, heaps of flies
Cheers, I would have like to do the Lefroy race and yep open country bike. About the flies, Have you heard about no flies on my back ;D ;D ;D.

vmx247 a Neman rider well there you go, yep I had a go at all of them except the Karratha 6 hr, I also race the Pannawonica 6 hr as well, some North West rounds.

I was a Paraburdoo MC rider.

Went to Newman a couple of times for bike events and I do recognize some of those faces, alcohol and drugs has killed names, opps drugs, I meant age.

Day 1 start line Newman Capricorn Road house 1987

Day 2 return, first place

Whim Creek 1988, and the Paraburdoo Motor Cycle Club that weekend oh! and a prize for me.

I think emphasize the word trail bike. Don’t get me wrong, get the bike just for the novelty. It’s a heavy slug but who else would have one on the line.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 12:23:18 am by Power Stand »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 09:20:50 am »
Good Stuff CR King,Found some paper work.
Your top photo posted reads from left:
Expert over 250cc 2 stroke
Ian Ruby(face missing in pic) 3rd KTM 500, 251min.28sec
Yourself? P Burrell 1st Honda 500, 1st 222min 15 sec
Brett Sawyer Honda 250cc 1st in his class 246min.00(ex owner of Goldfields MC Shop).
Mewett KTM 350, 237min.70
Ray Williams 1st in his class (lives Bunbury)
No 39 M Nickels (president PMC ?) DNF
Time keeper myself in white singlet
Paul Bevan No 36 DNF(lives Bunbury still owns Newman Tyre Repairs)
Many more fantastic times where had in the north.GO the RAT
http://[/img]][/img]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:07:10 am by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 10:05:37 am »
How simple life was.........

http://[/img]][/img]
Best is in the West !!

Power Stand

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 01:00:06 am »
Mate that’s great, I never new the times. Was that the overall time?

I didn’t care for the detail back then but just a good ride and shit that was a good weekend. The track was phenomenal; the three sections between fuel stops gave open speed variety. All most three different types of terrain.

I drew those Paraburdoo logo and that goanna on the bike. I plagiarized a Fred Gassit picture on that one.

This news clip was from your last post and it has a few Newman riders’ names on it. Shame it’s got my name plastered on the heading.

Power Stand

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 01:04:30 am »
Just for old times and the story of those photos.

I suppose every race has a different story and that depends on who is telling it but we are on memorabilia trail here, so I hope I don’t bore anyone with this old war tail to much. ;)

So here we go;

Before we left Paraburdoo
Mick’s bike was geared higher than mine and the local cop accused him of doing near 200km/h on the Nanutarra road during testing. The copper said a green blur went past him and he couldn’t believe how fast this thing was. He couldn’t prove which green bike in town it was, so Mick was free man, lucky the cop know nothing about gearing. :)

I had lower gearing running a 15 front 40 rear I was about 5 – 10 km/h slower than Mick and about 10-15 km/h slower than Rubys bike. I found this out off the start line on day 2, I will explain later. Hay don’t get me wrong we didn’t truly know the speed of our bikes but a cops word was worth quoting.

Mick had an extra fuel range with a tank on the forks, I had a standard 9.5lts tank.

Before the race;
I remember turning up in Newman at that burger joint behind the shops, near the pool. A local bike guy stopped for a chat and tells us all about Ian Ruby’s set up and advises us of his massive long-range tank, machined down his hub to fit the rear sprocket and how he cut into his swing arm for clearance for the front sprocket. I must admit Mick and I felt out gunned.

We jetted the bike the afternoon before we raced and we never pre-rode the track. With a set of number drills and a pair of vice grips, we did speed runs and plug tests. Mick left his jetting as from Para testing but I believed that the temperature would be hotter by midday plus the engine temperature would increase during the race. I jetted black, we all know fuel keeps them cool and not oil.

From the first photo, the start and my version of events.
Day 1
It was a dead engine start and CR500’s don’t like starting at the best of times let alone a jetted up one. My class left and I was still kicking the bike, 500 above thumpers, 250 two strokes all went and I was still trying to start the bike. Just before the 250 four strokes class it fired up.

With dust and riders in my way, I rode through, and over anything and everything to pass as many riders as I could. I remember the washed out sections because I just had to hit them best I could, dust blind, I think I rounded up most of them in the first section to the fuel stop. ::)

The second section had these natural mini tabletops with a barbed wire fence running along side. I was hit them as fast as I could to see if I could clear them. There was a dried up lake type thing that had these funny little bushes with dirt in side them. Most of the riders followed a single track while I just went over the top these little 300mm high shrubs as fast as I could. :)

Heading into the last fuel stop it was tight and the clutch was getting a workout due to the gearing. Then the old dirt hi-way and open speed to the finish. I think each section was about 60-70km long as well.

As I was heading to the finish line the Hi-way came along side the bike track, my pit crew were arriving at the same time so I slowed down to wave to them when I looked round to see the gigantic washouts, 6 feet deep one after another. More ass then class I just hit them and I was in total survival mode. I hit about three of four of them and I ended up in the creek bed still on the bike. ;D ;D

My crew couldn’t believe I pulled this survival stunt off, apparently Chuck was saying hes off, no hes not, yes he is, no hes not, my god!

I asked Chuck how fast was he going along the road, his reply was 130km/h, lucky I slowed down.

Apparently, I came in at 6th place, day 1.

That night we hit he pub and bonus double shot bourbons for $5. We hammered a few.  :)

Day 2 continued later and if you think this story is shit, well too :'( :-* bad.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:17:48 am by Power Stand »

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 06:12:19 pm »
Yes they where the overall times the 1st overall place went to  B Hienrich on a Suzuki 250 218.43.

fastest time day 1
I Ruby 111.00
M Nickels(I'm sure he busted his shoulder hitting a cow on his roadbike at some stage) 111.30
B Heinrich 115.10

fastest Day two
B Heinrich 103.33
P Burrell 104.00
M Brennan 110.30(Still in PHedland)
RIDERS BRIEF NEWMAN DAY ONE,just follow the markers and tape.
][/url][/img]

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:42:43 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 12:05:43 am »
Maaate, maaatee
Small world we live in. I marked the two day with a couple of other Newman guys that first year. ( and the second year) One section- across the lakes we couldn't find a way across, so hired a plane and flew the track - that was different. I remember it being super fast but had the hills and lakes and all that to pull the big bikes back with there 15 / 40 gearing. The last run into Kumarina was fast but many guys did as you did and never made it. Edge of the seat desert racing.... The 88 year I think they clocked on the police radar 180 clicks ( on the dirt) at the beginning of the last run to Kumarina - just before the washouts.
I never rode the first year but did it on the second riding a KX250. I rememebr running across the spinnifex that you speak of, while eveyone else rode the single line. I remember day one went to shit when everyone got lost just before the first fuel point. Being an organiser of the event i helped get guys back on track, but ment I started near last on day 2. I did however post the second fastest time behind a guy from Telfer on one of them dam CR 500 things.
I rode the Rocklea in 87 that Alison has posted but recall pulling out severely de-hydrated and crashed out(I was riding an IT490 then) I think it was the pre race party we went to at some ones house that caused the damage. It was probably the whole weekend really as I think we left Newman straight after work and never got to Tom Price until some early hour of the morning.- I never recalled after it being that far.
Anyway - great to hear from a North Wester. I am sure Alison will post some more pics of the GREAT BURRELL & those days.
Cheers
Steven
Best is in the West !!

Power Stand

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 08:28:25 pm »
At that Rockley Endruo I spent ¾ of that false start lap dicing with a rider on a IT490 & while waiting for the other riders to come in for the re-start you came up an said what a shit hot time we had swapping positions. Was that you? :o

In regards to the GREAT, I am no greater than anyone else, I just had some good days, lost more that won and any dirt bike rider is a legend for just being out there. :)

I think some of your images havent linked, I am keen to see whats you posted. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:36:15 pm by Power Stand »

Power Stand

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 08:58:41 pm »
Wanna light up your CR500?...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CR500-1987-LIGHTING-SYSTEM-STATER-FLYWHEEL-RARE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQihZ021QQitemZ310117709227QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Thanks cyclegod for this offering! yes I will keep an eye on that. I would like to build one of my CR's into a all rounder.
Cheers